Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2020, 01:20 AM

4,182 posts, read 5,064,936 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
In parts of NJ like Jersey City and Hoboken, and even in suburban towns with main streets or more lively downtowns, main commercial strips with lots of restaurants should be closed to cars so more outdoor seating can be provided.
That sounds great, but closing streets to cars will reduce the amount of visitors to said restaurants, such that it won't be financially sensible for them to remain open.

Quote:
Little kids will continue to invade each other's personal space, spread germs
https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-01354-0

Quote:
children are not responsible for the majority of transmission, and the data support opening schools
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2020, 06:06 AM

50,820 posts, read 36,514,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KWarmWthrlvr780 View Post
And from what I understand it could be 2 years before there is a vaccine and then who knows how effective it will be. And that's why I'm so concerned about this state's future compared to the ones that are lifting more restrictions. Because heaven forbid I don't share some people's opinions that the way we're currently living in this state can be the new normal for another couple of years. It is absolutely ridiculous and almost criminal as well! But, that's just the way that I feel. And while taxes might go up all over the US as a result of the virus, it will be felt the greatest here, unfortunately. I wouldn't be shocked if property taxes go up by more than 50% in some areas of the state. And that's just property taxes. So is the QOL going to really be all that better here heading forward than in a state like Texas or Florida? Wouldn't you want to live somewhere where you could get more bang for your buck and where there will probably be more to do? All I know is that as a life long resident of this state, I've never been more concerned about its future than I am right now. And if the restrictions are going to be in place for 2 more years while Florida is more open, you will see a mass exodus from this state like never before. People will just abandon their homes and flee, kind of like what happened in Detroit. But, that's just what I think is going to happen.
Where on earth are you getting that restrictions will be in place for two more yesrs??? They're opening more every week, I haven't heard anyone say two more years of even two more months for that matter.

We should have gotten Federal aid just as if we faced a superstorm. Our taxes will go up partially as punishment by the Feds for not being fed stare .

Old 05-18-2020, 06:36 AM

7,685 posts, read 6,198,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Where on earth are you getting that restrictions will be in place for two more yesrs??? They're opening more every week, I haven't heard anyone say two more years of even two more months for that matter.

We should have gotten Federal aid just as if we faced a superstorm. Our taxes will go up partially as punishment by the Feds for not being fed stare .

I'll be surprised if it's "much of an opening".
I wouldn't be surprised if Murphy closes the NJ beaches/boardwalks again, because from what I saw via the Ocean City, NJ beach/boardwalk webcam over the weekend - he probably wouldn't approve.

Old 05-18-2020, 08:08 AM

50,820 posts, read 36,514,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atgss View Post
I'll be surprised if it's "much of an opening".
I wouldn't be surprised if Murphy closes the NJ beaches/boardwalks again, because from what I saw via the Ocean City, NJ beach/boardwalk webcam over the weekend - he probably wouldn't approve.
I don’t know, but I’m happy with the pace that we’re going. Slow but steady.

Old 05-18-2020, 11:04 AM

8,256 posts, read 17,353,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JG183 View Post
That sounds great, but closing streets to cars will reduce the amount of visitors to said restaurants, such that it won't be financially sensible for them to remain open.

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-01354-0
That was one quote by one doctor that said that. You conveniently tons of other parts of that article that point to the fact that children may not be getting tested as often because they're more likely asymptomatic and they are not leaving the house for work or groceries like their parents so exposure is much less.

Closing streets to cars in JC and Hoboken would not reduce the amount of customers since we basically all walk or take public transit here. Same in NYC. Nobody is asking Morristown to close every single street. But closing streets just around the Green would allow the restaurants and bars there to expand their outdoor seating. All information I've ever read on closing streets is that it's good for business. A recent poll showed a majority in Hoboken want Washington and a few others to be free of car traffic. Newark Ave in downtown JC would likely not be what is today but for the closure to car traffic. This concept is possible everywhere, but Americans always like complaining about having no room for their car when this county is basically one giant parking spot. I mean, just look at Manhattan, supposedly the most pedestrian friendly place in the US. The sidewalks are still too narrow to social distance properly. And pre-pandemic they were sometimes too crowded to even walk down. I purposely walked down side streets and took the longer way around places because time-wise it was faster due to less pedestrian traffic. Yet the avenues are all very wide with like 5 lanes each. Especially during the pandemic, those streets are giant waste of space since cars are not driving down them. Meanwhile, pedestrians can't social distance properly.

Maybe we don't keep the car-free streets forever. But there is absolutely no reason that during this pandemic we can't close down a street or two to expand outdoor dining and make more public spaces for people.

Old 05-18-2020, 11:18 AM

88,605 posts, read 84,838,467 times
Quote:
That was one quote by one doctor that said that. You conveniently tons of other parts of that article that point to the fact that children may not be getting tested as often because they're more likely asymptomatic and they are not leaving the house for work or groceries like their parents so exposure is much less.

Closing streets to cars in JC and Hoboken would not reduce the amount of customers since we basically all walk or take public transit here. Same in NYC. Nobody is asking Morristown to close every single street. But closing streets just around the Green would allow the restaurants and bars there to expand their outdoor seating. All information I've ever read on closing streets is that it's good for business. A recent poll showed a majority in Hoboken want Washington and a few others to be free of car traffic. Newark Ave in downtown JC would likely not be what is today but for the closure to car traffic. This concept is possible everywhere, but Americans always like complaining about having no room for their car when this county is basically one giant parking spot. I mean, just look at Manhattan, supposedly the most pedestrian friendly place in the US. The sidewalks are still too narrow to social distance properly. And pre-pandemic they were sometimes too crowded to even walk down. I purposely walked down side streets and took the longer way around places because time-wise it was faster due to less pedestrian traffic. Yet the avenues are all very wide with like 5 lanes each. Especially during the pandemic, those streets are giant waste of space since cars are not driving down them. Meanwhile, pedestrians can't social distance properly.

Maybe we don't keep the car-free streets forever. But there is absolutely no reason that during this pandemic we can't close down a street or two to expand outdoor dining and make more public spaces for people.
Hell, yeah, if I go to dinner in Hoboken (which I admittedly haven't done in some time), I would not want to waste my time driving around in circles looking for a parking spot. I'd take the train and then a cab if necessary.

Heck, if they open restaurants and close streets in Hoboken, I might consider calling a friend to meet for dinner.

Old 05-18-2020, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Hell, yeah, if I go to dinner in Hoboken (which I admittedly haven't done in some time), I would not want to waste my time driving around in circles looking for a parking spot. I'd take the train and then a cab if necessary.

Heck, if they open restaurants and close streets in Hoboken, I might consider calling a friend to meet for dinner.
Same. I refuse to be in an enclosed space with strangers right now. I would feel comfortable eating with a friend who I know is socially distancing properly as long as the tables were placed 6 feet apart from strangers and we were outside. Hudson County and NYC can definitely implement this easily by closing off more commercials streets to car traffic and expanding outdoor dining into the streets and at the same time leaving more room for pedestrians.

But again, this is, I believe, a good option for reopening more safely, but it requires change and too many people refuse to accept change. Nobody wants strip mall suburbia to close parking lots. Just a simple adaptation to the times in the more urban cities that often drive the economy more anyway.

Old 05-18-2020, 12:38 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,711,393 times
dont you dare close my strip mall parking lots!

this concept of coming up with rules for how we should open is completely ridiculous. how we should open is the government gets out of the process and business owners decide on their own if they want to open and how. customers would then make their own decisions. people just cant help but get high on feeling they have want some power to tell other people what to do.

Old 05-18-2020, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
dont you dare close my strip mall parking lots!

this concept of coming up with rules for how we should open is completely ridiculous. how we should open is the government gets out of the process and business owners decide on their own if they want to open and how. customers would then make their own decisions. people just cant help but get high on feeling they have want some power to tell other people what to do.
But it's not just a problem with a single business. If a business is turning into a petri dish of a virus, it should not stay open. And customers going there are not just risking themselves and themselves only. If they are asymptomatic and refuse to wear a mask and social distance properly while grocery shopping, they could infect someone who is doing everything properly, yet is just out to get food so they don't starve to death.

Also, if the business reopens, what happens to the children? Are waitresses expected to bring their kids with them to work because the schools aren't open yet? If businesses in Manhattan fling their doors open and return to normal and expect people to return to work, are we just expecting everyone to be forced back onto crowded public transit again? Because not everyone owns a vehicle. And it's not just Manhattan. Plenty of employees in Hudson County and Essex County rely on public transit also.

And if the business reopens, but employees are worried about going back for health reasons, they are likely deemed as a voluntary quit from work and are therefore ineligible for unemployment. So for someone at risk or living with someone at risk or for someone who can't leave their child alone, they must choose between having an income or risk dying.

This is not a problem that can be solved without intervention from a government. And the broader the response the better. If one county or municipality stays closed, but the neighboring is open, the open neighboring county could likely see an influx of people. It's why we develop a regional plan in the area.

If not enough people keep the curve trending down or even just keep it flat, hospitals can easily be overwhelmed again. Don't you think it's suspicious that there is pressure to grant immunity to businesses that reopen in the event their employees get sick? If everything is fine and dandy and this is a hoax and just a silly flu, why do we need business immunity as a federal law?

Old 05-18-2020, 01:04 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,711,393 times
Quote:
But it's not just a problem with a single business. If a business is turning into a petri dish of a virus, it should not stay open. And customers going there are not just risking themselves and themselves only. If they are asymptomatic and refuse to wear a mask and social distance properly while grocery shopping, they could infect someone who is doing everything properly, yet is just out to get food so they don't starve to death.

Also, if the business reopens, what happens to the children? Are waitresses expected to bring their kids with them to work because the schools aren't open yet? If businesses in Manhattan fling their doors open and return to normal and expect people to return to work, are we just expecting everyone to be forced back onto crowded public transit again? Because not everyone owns a vehicle. And it's not just Manhattan. Plenty of employees in Hudson County and Essex County rely on public transit also.

And if the business reopens, but employees are worried about going back for health reasons, they are likely deemed as a voluntary quit from work and are therefore ineligible for unemployment. So for someone at risk or living with someone at risk or for someone who can't leave their child alone, they must choose between having an income or risk dying.

This is not a problem that can be solved without intervention from a government. And the broader the response the better. If one county or municipality stays closed, but the neighboring is open, the open neighboring county could likely see an influx of people. It's why we develop a regional plan in the area.

If not enough people keep the curve trending down or even just keep it flat, hospitals can easily be overwhelmed again. Don't you think it's suspicious that there is pressure to grant immunity to businesses that reopen in the event their employees get sick? If everything is fine and dandy and this is a hoax and just a silly flu, why do we need business immunity as a federal law?
it is a problem with a lot of single businesses and they all have the right to act singly.

those other issues arent for the government to solve. private business is supposed to be private and not subject to closure by the government for operating normally. such closure is beyond the reasonable expectation of government action.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey