Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 10:33 AM

3,269 posts, read 9,936,557 times

Advertisements

I guess it's all perspective. I'm used to UK prices ($9 a gallon) so I'm totally ok with paying $4 a gallon. (One might even say I'm gleeful). However, in the UK, along with the high gas price is a terrific network of public transport that is just not available here. Really that is the missing piece.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2008, 10:35 AM

37 posts, read 169,954 times
The altima hybrid seats comfortable five people. I have three kids ( two are teenagers and around 6 ft .) They were more comfortable sitting in the Altima then in my Dad's mid size SUV ( toyota highlander). Now, its not the same as a mini van were the kids can sit spread out. It took some getting used to but it is a sporty looking car and I getting 32-35 mpg combined.

BTW, you can't always uproot your whole family and move closer to work- it is not that easy. First of all, jobs in many fields are hard to come by. Second, if you have kids in a good school system, it doesn't make sense to uproot them to save on gas . You may end up spending more on a new house or more in taxes. It is a shame that things are so spread out in some of the suburbs that makes driving everywhere a necessity.

Old 04-29-2008, 11:05 AM

2,689 posts, read 3,967,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanu86 View Post
Vehicle:
'97 Nissam Maxima 6cly engine

Weekly commute:
200 essential miles to work and bank/store inbetween
100 leisure miles on the weekend

I fill up 1.3 times/week. I plan to cut this to 1fillup/per week

so I will save an whooping 50 dollars/per week or 600/annually = George Bush check
actually it is the US congress + george bush, there is enough blame for both tribes

Old 04-29-2008, 11:08 AM

2,689 posts, read 3,967,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gammagirl View Post

BTW, you can't always uproot your whole family and move closer to work- it is not that easy. First of all, jobs in many fields are hard to come by. Second, if you have kids in a good school system, it doesn't make sense to uproot them to save on gas . You may end up spending more on a new house or more in taxes. It is a shame that things are so spread out in some of the suburbs that makes driving everywhere a necessity.
you're right it is hard to uproot and move but my point is that in the last 10 years or so much of Northern NJ has seen a huge influx of NYers who are moving 50+ miles out and now they will pay a heavy price for that 100 mile + daily commute.

Old 04-29-2008, 12:42 PM

259 posts, read 925,117 times
I'll put this plain and simple. My wife and I spend more per month on filling up on gas than we do on car payments and insurance. Enough said.

Old 04-29-2008, 01:02 PM

7,221 posts, read 11,937,206 times
Good news...Chef Boyardee is on sale 10 cans for $10 this week at Shop Rite !!!!!!!!!

Old 04-29-2008, 01:08 PM

2,736 posts, read 9,671,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico696 View Post
Good news...Chef Boyardee is on sale 10 cans for $10 this week at Shop Rite !!!!!!!!!
Sweet!

As its only me and my gf (plus a dog, but she gets dog food obviously), canned foods have become a staple... other foods go bad to quickly, or must be frozen, and I have a small fridge. I have been thinking about a separate freezer though...

Old 04-29-2008, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuCullin View Post
Sweet!

As its only me and my gf (plus a dog, but she gets dog food obviously), canned foods have become a staple... other foods go bad to quickly, or must be frozen, and I have a small fridge. I have been thinking about a separate freezer though...
Definitely go for the extra freezer, or even better fridge/freezer. I have one out in my garage and fill up the freezer with tons of stuff when it's on sale. Also, we take a trip to Bottle King once a month and fill up the fridge with beer since there are no real discount liquor places close to my house.

Old 04-29-2008, 01:19 PM

2,736 posts, read 9,671,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico696 View Post
Definitely go for the extra freezer, or even better fridge/freezer. I have one out in my garage and fill up the freezer with tons of stuff when it's on sale. Also, we take a trip to Bottle King once a month and fill up the fridge with beer since there are no real discount liquor places close to my house.
Honestly, I have plenty of room in the fridge for beer, don't need a second

I think I will get another freezer though, it makes sense.

Old 04-29-2008, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuCullin View Post
Honestly, I have plenty of room in the fridge for beer, don't need a second

I think I will get another freezer though, it makes sense.

I keep the Grey Goose in the freezer, but we drink A LOT of beer!!! Well BF more than I do, I would never fit a month's worth of beer in my side by side fridge .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey