Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2021, 06:01 PM

37,108 posts, read 41,277,178 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
no, it doesnt. that is why we use percentages.
No, you are just trying to deny the severity of COVID-19 by focusing on the number 1, which is a whole lot smaller than 3,310,000.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2021, 06:06 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,705,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
No, you are just trying to deny the severity of COVID-19 by focusing on the number 1, which is a whole lot smaller than 3,310,000.
and you are just trying to throw out a big number because you know that it represents a very small percentage (<1%) of the population and put in the proper way it doesnt sound like a lot.

i dont understand how you are making this case. we use percentages because whole numbers by themselves dont mean much. you need the context. 3 million out of 10 million is 30% but its less than 1% of 330 million and knowing that is much more meaningful than a simple number (and you know it).

Old 04-14-2021, 08:28 PM

Quote:
and you are just trying to throw out a big number because you know that it represents a very small percentage (<1%) of the population and put in the proper way it doesnt sound like a lot.

i dont understand how you are making this case. we use percentages because whole numbers by themselves dont mean much. you need the context. 3 million out of 10 million is 30% but its less than 1% of 330 million and knowing that is much more meaningful than a simple number (and you know it).
No, the percentage is not more meaningful. The number is, which is the reason numbers of infections and deaths are being reported, not the percentage of the total population.

Old 04-14-2021, 09:20 PM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times
Quote:
No, the percentage is not more meaningful. The number is, which is the reason numbers of infections and deaths are being reported, not the percentage of the total population.
Ping-Pong. He's not going to stop until you do.

Old 04-15-2021, 08:02 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,705,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Ping-Pong. He's not going to stop until you do.
i dont really want to on this point but im surprised she is making it just because in this circumstance it works for her. im sure if 1,000 people had harmful vaccine side effects she would be quick to say "thats 1,000 out of 20 million!"

Old 04-17-2021, 12:05 AM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times
Quote:
i dont really want to on this point but im surprised she is making it just because in this circumstance it works for her. im sure if 1,000 people had harmful vaccine side effects she would be quick to say "thats 1,000 out of 20 million!"
Can your dog catch a frisbee?

Old 04-17-2021, 12:47 AM

23,867 posts, read 33,568,716 times
Quote:
You still do not get it.

What is 1% of 331,000,000 people?

Ultimately it is about controlling a very nasty virus. Those who are resisting efforts do do that are like a kid refusing to do something that is good for him by whining "you are not the boss of me."

I'm no kid, I'm 56 years old and never once did I whine to anyone. I'm getting tired of people pointing people like me out, trying to shame us for not getting the vaccine. None of us are shaming you for getting the vaccine, playing Russian roulette on an experimental vaccine. They're all going to have their own side effect at some point. You won't be able to take the vaccine out of your body if it happens to affect you (general you) a few years from now.

I had a bad reaction to the shingles vaccine, pretty sure you're in those threads too. I have bad allergies to things like medication fillers. I have no clue what I'm allergic to but right now, I'm not about to push my luck again. The shingles vaccine gave me side effects for a few months that were not pleasant. I'm disabled with immune issues in addition to allergies to too many things. I suffer from chronic back pain from a failed lumbar fusion, can only take 2 "pain medications" because of my allergies. I've tried Lyrica to humor my doctor, that left me with what felt like acid running through the veins from my hip down to my heel for close to a year. I get serious side effects that linger. Trying a pain medication pump gave me migraines for over a year. Talk about miserable.

My 35 year old son won't get it because it's still too new for him. He's watching it though. He's smart because he could have inherited my bad genes with allergies. He doesn't know because he's generally healthy. My issues started at his age. My daughter already has those issues since she was in her late teens. You can bet she's not jumping in to get one either, but she rarely goes out.

My 64 year old hub didn't want it because it was too new but is starting to change his mind because his son got Moderna with no side effects. I told him that just because his son had no side effects, does not mean he won't. I personally think it will kick his butt because I think we've already had COVID, plus he's had a strong reaction to flu vaccines. He has a job where he doesn't go near people until he works his weekend job at Sam's. He's a bit freaked because his friend and wife went to Myrtle Beach for Easter, they came back with COVID. They were both hospitalized, his wife still is. I'm not sure if she's on the vent still or just oxygen. His friend was discharged, he's still very weak.

Quote:
yeah, i know 1% of a big number equals a "big" number. that is why we use percentages, to not be fooled by that "big" number. its still less than 1%, nothing has changed. like i said, that is why we use percentages.

the good thing is, if you are vaccinated you dont have to worry about that kid. but people want to concoct reasons why that kid is harming them because they want everyone else to do what they want. they have bought into the holy grail of "herd immunity" and are willing to do anything to hopefully achieve it.

Wish I could rep you again.

Last night was the 1st time I actually saw a vaccine commercial on the Science channel while watching Mysteries of the Abandoned. It played for every commercial break. So glad I had paused the TV to cook dinner so that I could forward the commercials. I watched the vaccine commercial once just to make sure it was a vaccine commercial like I thought.

The germs were trying to go forward but couldn't because guys had armor. They did what I knew they would do, they went around to the left where someone wasn't vaccinated.

I just went to the TV to see if I could find it because it's still an hour behind from my pause. The germ one wasn't on, there was one by Samuel Adams where the guy passed out when he saw the needle. He finally gets his shot, walks out telling everyone they're very brave. There was also another by cdc.gov.coronavirus

Quote:

I'm subscribed to just about all of the COVID vaccine threads. Most people have some sort of reaction, especially with the 2nd shot. NJrebel would have been better off going into the health section to ask or to read the many threads there but instead, went into it thinking it would be a breeze because Hannah posted she didn't have any issues. She could have followed that with "but that's just me, some people do have a reaction" because in the health section, NJrebel would have seen more people do have a reaction then don't. Hannah's reaction was not the majority, it was the minority. I wish I would have had time to come to this section to see the thread before he got his vaccine. The 2nd shot will probably put him down a few days since he had a strong reaction to the 1st.

There are people who have various side effects months later. One gal that had Moderna is dealing with swollen lymph nodes on the vaccine side. They're swollen in her armpit, neck, going into her head. There are a few others dealing with headaches, months later, still no relief. Someone in Hannah's vaccine thread posted that it sounds like Moderna may be making some people sterile.

Everyone needs to make a decision that they personally can live with. I wish people would stop the bullying that we all need to feel bad that we can't take it for whatever reason. The vaccines are experimental as of right now. They can't possibly know all of the bad side effects yet.

Everyone knows their own body and what they're comfortable with someone injecting into it. That someone may be new, they may end up administering it too high so the person will end up with COVID arm which is not fun. My Shingles vaccine was too high. I suffered "vaccine shoulder" for over a month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
Vioxx

That was a darned good med. Too bad they didn't ask people that were taking it how we felt about the side effect and whether we wanted to continue taking it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by njrebel1978 View Post
Correct Danny. I had my first Moderna vaccine dose yesterday (which already provides 80% protection) and suffering bad side effects today. Chills, bad headache, body aches, etc.. They say 2nd dose is worse, I will be skipping that one. They have very little info on these vaccines as the news regarding J&J proves.

Most people don't have the side effect you got until the 2nd dose. Hopefully that's the only side effect you get. I'll come back and link you to a few vaccine threads in the health section which you should have done before getting it. You would see most people have a sore arm with the 1st. Not many that I remember with a severe reaction like you had.

Quote:
Yes, last year and it literally felt just like this!

Did you have a confirmed case of COVID or did you get it early like us when you couldn't get tested?

Quote:
No 2nd dose for me....not going through that potential hell again. No "safe" vaccine or medication should ever make anyone feel that sick!

I would probably say the same thing. Hopefully since you had COVID already, the one vaccine plus having COVID will be enough to protect your body like I have to hope I don't get Shingles a 2nd time because I could only have one dose of 2. The 1st dose almost closed my throat. Thankful for Benadryl.

Last edited by Roselvr; 04-17-2021 at 01:19 AM..

Old 04-17-2021, 02:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
I'm no kid, I'm 56 years old and never once did I whine to anyone. I'm getting tired of people pointing people like me out, trying to shame us for not getting the vaccine. None of us are shaming you for getting the vaccine, playing Russian roulette on an experimental vaccine. They're all going to have their own side effect at some point. You won't be able to take the vaccine out of your body if it happens to affect you (general you) a few years from now.

I had a bad reaction to the shingles vaccine, pretty sure you're in those threads too. I have bad allergies to things like medication fillers. I have no clue what I'm allergic to but right now, I'm not about to push my luck again. The shingles vaccine gave me side effects for a few months that were not pleasant. I'm disabled with immune issues in addition to allergies to too many things. I suffer from chronic back pain from a failed lumbar fusion, can only take 2 "pain medications" because of my allergies. I've tried Lyrica to humor my doctor, that left me with what felt like acid running through the veins from my hip down to my heel for close to a year. I get serious side effects that linger. Trying a pain medication pump gave me migraines for over a year. Talk about miserable.
How do you interpret that post as having anything to do with you at all? It did not refer to anyone who has a medical reason not to be vaccinated. It refers to those who are rejecting efforts to control the coronavirus as some sort of imposition on their rights.

Quote:
Last night was the 1st time I actually saw a vaccine commercial on the Science channel while watching Mysteries of the Abandoned.
I don't understand. Because you do not plan to take the vaccine you do not think there should be commercials encouraging others to do so?

Quote:
I'm subscribed to just about all of the COVID vaccine threads. Most people have some sort of reaction, especially with the 2nd shot. NJrebel would have been better off going into the health section to ask or to read the many threads there but instead, went into it thinking it would be a breeze because Hannah posted she didn't have any issues. She could have followed that with "but that's just me, some people do have a reaction" because in the health section, NJrebel would have seen more people do have a reaction then don't. Hannah's reaction was not the majority, it was the minority. I wish I would have had time to come to this section to see the thread before he got his vaccine. The 2nd shot will probably put him down a few days since he had a strong reaction to the 1st.
Yes, the vaccines have a significant incidence of what is called reactogenicity. There is no way to predict who will have more severe symptoms, except perhaps those who have already had the infection.

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/acip/me...himabukuro.pdf

See slide 12, which is early data compiled from reports by actual patients. Most are not reporting severe symptoms.

Quote:
There are people who have various side effects months later. One gal that had Moderna is dealing with swollen lymph nodes on the vaccine side. They're swollen in her armpit, neck, going into her head.
That is a side effect of immune cells in those nodes being activated to produce antibodies. It is not dangerous and resolves.

Quote:
There are a few others dealing with headaches, months later, still no relief.
Persistent headaches should be evaluated by a doctor. It would be unwise to blame the vaccine when there might be another cause.

Quote:
Someone in Hannah's vaccine thread posted that it sounds like Moderna may be making some people sterile.
None of the vaccines will cause sterility. That notion was started by someone with a lack of understanding of basic genetics.

https://www.chop.edu/centers-program...se-infertility

Quote:
Everyone needs to make a decision that they personally can live with. I wish people would stop the bullying that we all need to feel bad that we can't take it for whatever reason. The vaccines are experimental as of right now. They can't possibly know all of the bad side effects yet.
No one is being bullied.

Quote:
Everyone knows their own body and what they're comfortable with someone injecting into it. That someone may be new, they may end up administering it too high so the person will end up with COVID arm which is not fun. My Shingles vaccine was too high. I suffered "vaccine shoulder" for over a month.
COVID arm is a form of localized allergic reaction. It has nothing to do with the injection being given too high.

https://www.yalemedicine.org/news/vaccine-reactions

"'It’s not super common, but it’s not uncommon. It’s a delayed hypersensitivity, similar to what you may see if you get poison ivy,' Dr. Roy explains."

The same article discusses the lymph node issue.

The issue with the shot being too high is an error in technique, not a reaction specific to the vaccine, which is not intended to be injected into the joint.

Quote:
Most people don't have the side effect you got until the 2nd dose. Hopefully that's the only side effect you get. I'll come back and link you to a few vaccine threads in the health section which you should have done before getting it. You would see most people have a sore arm with the 1st. Not many that I remember with a severe reaction like you had.
Sore arms may happen with either dose or neither. Most people will get some soreness.

Old 04-17-2021, 03:06 AM

Quote:
I am a male in my early 40's and scheduled for my first dose of Moderna vaccine tomorrow in Union County NJ. I am very nervous about side effects. I have been against getting the vaccine since the beginning, but have been under a lot of pressure from wife and family to get it. Therefore, I decided to give in and go for it. Just wondering if side effects are worth it? If some of you who were already vaxed wish to share what side effects you had, I would appreciate it. (Especially if you got Moderna). Thanks!

There's a thread in the health section called Is there a dedicated forum for COVID vaccines? I linked the vaccine threads I'm subscribed to except for what's in the NJ section, so I'll bring that over for you. I added one thread from the alternative medicine section which I suggest you read because there's a few good posts with things you can take if you do get COVID. The OP made the thread yesterday, it's already closed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowmountains View Post
If not, shouldn't there be one?

Yes, I think they should make a COVID specific section because there are COVID threads in just about every section. I wish they'd clean up the forum by making a COVID section already. It's passed time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowmountains View Post
Thanks. I was hoping for a thread that discusses and compares different COVID vaccines, efficacy, side effects, people's experiences, new upcoming vaccines, etc... all in one place.

Below is the list of vaccine related threads I've found. There could be more. I think the one in the retirement section probably fits your wants the best.

These are vaccine specific threads, there's even more COVID related threads lol

Allergies section - Anyone allergic to the Covid vaccine?

Alternative Medicine section - The Covid Vaccine - locked thread with lots of great info.

Retirement section General COVID Vaccine thread

Health section
Have you had covid vaccine side effects?
Pfizer Shot Questions
Moderna Vaccination
Blood donation before getting vaccine?
Headaches after 2nd Covid Shot *Unknown which vaccine, OP never came back
Moderna vaccine and enlarged lymph nodes
Nausea as a vaccine side effect? (Pfizer vaccine)
Can you choose your vaccine?
one year of mRNA vaccine safety vdata

From the thread Have you had covid vaccine side effects? to go directly to the quote, click on the arrow next to the posters name in the quote below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caramelized Onion View Post
Had my second dose. Now we are all immunized in my family. Here are the reactions:

Mom, 70s, Moderna, sore arm both times.
Dad, 70s, Pfizer, sore arm first time, no effect second dose.
MIL, 70s, Moderna, sore arm first dose, chills, low fever, fatigue second dose.
FIL, 70s, Moderan, nothing first dose, sore arm and chills second dose.
Me, 40s, Pfizer, sore arm, mild nausea, mild headache first dose, sore arm and body aches second dose.
Husband, 50, Pfizer, mildly sore arm first dose, fever, chills, body aches second dose.
Kid 1, 20, Pfizer, sore arm first dose, sore legs and chills second dose.
Kid 2, 18, Pfizer, sore arm first dose, sore joints and muscles second dose.

All of us are now feeling fine.

Old 04-17-2021, 09:35 AM

Quote:
How do you interpret that post as having anything to do with you at all? It did not refer to anyone who has a medical reason not to be vaccinated. It refers to those who are rejecting efforts to control the coronavirus as some sort of imposition on their rights.

I don't understand. Because you do not plan to take the vaccine you do not think there should be commercials encouraging others to do so?

Yes, the vaccines have a significant incidence of what is called reactogenicity. There is no way to predict who will have more severe symptoms, except perhaps those who have already had the infection.

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/acip/me...himabukuro.pdf

See slide 12, which is early data compiled from reports by actual patients. Most are not reporting severe symptoms.

That is a side effect of immune cells in those nodes being activated to produce antibodies. It is not dangerous and resolves.

Persistent headaches should be evaluated by a doctor. It would be unwise to blame the vaccine when there might be another cause.

None of the vaccines will cause sterility. That notion was started by someone with a lack of understanding of basic genetics.

https://www.chop.edu/centers-program...se-infertility

No one is being bullied.

COVID arm is a form of localized allergic reaction. It has nothing to do with the injection being given too high.

https://www.yalemedicine.org/news/vaccine-reactions

"'It’s not super common, but it’s not uncommon. It’s a delayed hypersensitivity, similar to what you may see if you get poison ivy,' Dr. Roy explains."

The same article discusses the lymph node issue.

The issue with the shot being too high is an error in technique, not a reaction specific to the vaccine, which is not intended to be injected into the joint.

Sore arms may happen with either dose or neither. Most people will get some soreness.

Do you live in NJ or do you just search for COVID and vaccine threads? I don't recall seeing you posting in the NJ section unless it's a COVID related thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey