Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 09:03 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,690,922 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Your point?? Whites are no where near the beneficiaries that they once were, especially males in the "normal" work force. I'm not talking CEO's here just the average joes
so it sounds like you'd be in favor if whites became a minority
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2008, 09:13 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,729,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
so it sounds like you'd be in favor if whites became a minority

No, but even if they did it still wouldn't convince me of the merits of AA
I don't need or want a hand out..hire me because I'm capable...DO NOT lower the accepted standard to accomodate me.

It's actions like AA, this liberal do good BS that we have allowed the govenment to stuff down our throats for decades.....the brass ring is there for anyone who wants to work for it....it should not be given to a chosen few because they can not or will not attain it on their own

Old 08-01-2008, 09:29 AM

2,257 posts, read 5,188,336 times
Quote:
Lost many good IT workers to Indians & Pakistanians who come over on a work visa because supposedly we don't have enough qualified people here in the US...that's BS..there are plenty of unemployed IT workers out there...I guess we get the foreign people cheaper
yes, cheaper is one of the criteria but but not as much as it was 10 years ago. today most of the foreign IT workers make as much money as the local citizens. and as far as thier quality is concerned, they are at par if not better than the locals. i have worked in several fortune-50 companies, and there is an increasing number of foreign IT workers not just in programming but also in senior management.

Old 08-01-2008, 09:34 AM

8,630 posts, read 9,137,436 times
How are the taxes paid to these workers? Do they pay FICA taxes, SS etc.., HealthCare etc. Another words is there a monetary motivation for the employer to hire these visa workers other than incompetent Americans?

Old 08-01-2008, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
How are the taxes paid to these workers? Do they pay FICA taxes, SS etc.., HealthCare etc. Another words is there a monetary motivation for the employer to hire these visa workers other than incompetent Americans?
no incentives, they pay FICA, SS, etc even though their visa may expire in a few years and have to leave the country without getting any benefits of the SS tax they paid.

Old 08-01-2008, 09:45 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,690,922 times
Quote:
No, but even if they did it still wouldn't convince me of the merits of AA
I don't need or want a hand out..hire me because I'm capable...DO NOT lower the accepted standard to accomodate me.

It's actions like AA, this liberal do good BS that we have allowed the govenment to stuff down our throats for decades.....the brass ring is there for anyone who wants to work for it....it should not be given to a chosen few because they can not or will not attain it on their own
what if you found out you got your job because of AA? would you quit?

Old 08-01-2008, 09:52 AM

2,736 posts, read 9,670,841 times
Quote:
Now thats not a fair question. Quitting your job because the government has made a poor decision is an incredibly ridiculous proposition.

Old 08-01-2008, 09:54 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,729,623 times
Quote:

..first of all I know I didn't.
I'm in a field dominated by females..there is no male that wants my position, that is the only way I would have copped it through AA... so no need to push the card

In addition AA comes into play more in government jobs or police, fire that sort of thing

Old 08-01-2008, 10:42 AM

8,630 posts, read 9,137,436 times
Quote:
..first of all I know I didn't.
I'm in a field dominated by females..there is no male that wants my position, that is the only way I would have copped it through AA... so no need to push the card

In addition AA comes into play more in government jobs or police, fire that sort of thing
I believe you're correct. What gets me is the US Supreme court barred or made a judgement that quotas are illegal. As a life long Washington native, quotas is exactly what the Feds have been doing for years but strongly deny they are doing it.

Old 08-01-2008, 11:32 AM

Quote:
i disagree; i worked for a corporation which ran year end reports comparing their hiring statistics with the local demographics. if they were off significantly, they hired minorities & women to make the numbers look good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey