Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 05:56 AM

37 posts, read 169,939 times

Advertisements

I have visited almost every state in the country ( except Alaska and Hawaii) and have lived in the midwest and southeast when I was a young adult ( before kids). There is no place I would rather be than NJ. I love the change of seasons, the educated individuals, the proximity to NYC, the cultural opportunities, the smells found on the boardwalk and most of all- the beach. When I lived in the Midwest- I hated it. I immediately felt homesick and could not wait for the moment my plane landed back on familiar ground. I guess it boils down to what you are used to. I could not get used to the slow pace of life in the southwest. Also, I hate hot weather. I like it for a few months but not year round. I have more appreciation for the spring and fall more after getting through the winter and summer.

What I hate about NJ???? The corruption , high taxes and fees imposed on just about every activity and transaction. It is hard to survive here if you are middle class. I barely make enough to provide a comfortable lifestyle for my family of five yet my combined income with my husband puts me in a category were I cannot receive any financial aid to send my son to college. I only work part time and my husband has a municipality job . Just to survive in NJ, you have to make well over six figures and that is considered "wealthy" apparently for federal tax purposes and financial aid.

My husband and I considered moving but he has a very stable job and great benefits. No way would he find a comparable job in another state. Also all his relatives and my Mother live close by. His parents moved to NC years ago and regretted it since day 1. Now , they claim they cannot afford to move back. They have to drive ten hours each way to come to every family event.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2010, 09:30 AM

6,963 posts, read 20,538,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
What keeps me in NJ? Have you seen the rest of the country?
ha! nice

Old 05-24-2010, 01:25 PM

11 posts, read 45,621 times
Look, Jersey is horrible! The taxes are high, rents and mortgages are high and wages are low. All this state does is: take take TAKE!!! When is the last time this state did anything for you except ruin your car with potholes and continuously patch them with substandard materials so that it will reemerge in a few months?

Look for employment elsewhere. Start by taking a few trips to different places (which is what my hubby and I are doing). This will allow you to find what you are looking for. We have been to MD area and GA looking. We make appts. at apt complexes to take tours. We look at the neighborhoods and stats of each place that we are considering. I understand how you feel. My husband and I feel the same way. It is easy to feel stuck because you are and that is the way things are designed here. You need to try your best to look past it and do something about it. There are many places all around the country that are much cheaper than here. Granted, the salaries are sometimes comparable to what you pay in rent BUT you can find jobs that pay a bit more and you will come out on top. What ppl fail to realize is that, even if you got a $700 apt but your pay was only enough to cover that (as well as other necessities), that $700 apt in GA will look MUUUUUUUUUUUUUCH better than a $900 apt here in Jersey. So yeah, it may even out in terms of cost vs income BUT you save money because you can get a decent apt in a decent neighborhood working for $10 an hour (of course you would make more but it is just to prove a point). You WOULD NOT be selling out if you moved. I mean, think about it...even if you felt that way, would you be more concerned with selling out to another state and moving there, or remaining in this cesspool and selling yourself out?? I hate when ppl try to make you feel guilty about wanting something better. I say, go for it and good luck. Maybe we'll see you around in a better state elsewhere!!

Old 05-24-2010, 02:22 PM

4,085 posts, read 8,788,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeruzz View Post
Look, Jersey is horrible! The taxes are high, rents and mortgages are high and wages are low. All this state does is: take take TAKE!!! When is the last time this state did anything for you except ruin your car with potholes and continuously patch them with substandard materials so that it will reemerge in a few months?

Look for employment elsewhere. Start by taking a few trips to different places (which is what my hubby and I are doing). This will allow you to find what you are looking for. We have been to MD area and GA looking. We make appts. at apt complexes to take tours. We look at the neighborhoods and stats of each place that we are considering. I understand how you feel. My husband and I feel the same way. It is easy to feel stuck because you are and that is the way things are designed here. You need to try your best to look past it and do something about it. There are many places all around the country that are much cheaper than here. Granted, the salaries are sometimes comparable to what you pay in rent BUT you can find jobs that pay a bit more and you will come out on top. What ppl fail to realize is that, even if you got a $700 apt but your pay was only enough to cover that (as well as other necessities), that $700 apt in GA will look MUUUUUUUUUUUUUCH better than a $900 apt here in Jersey. So yeah, it may even out in terms of cost vs income BUT you save money because you can get a decent apt in a decent neighborhood working for $10 an hour (of course you would make more but it is just to prove a point). You WOULD NOT be selling out if you moved. I mean, think about it...even if you felt that way, would you be more concerned with selling out to another state and moving there, or remaining in this cesspool and selling yourself out?? I hate when ppl try to make you feel guilty about wanting something better. I say, go for it and good luck. Maybe we'll see you around in a better state elsewhere!!
But then you have to live in a southern hell hole.

Old 05-24-2010, 03:12 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,382,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
Yup- nothing bit boring, crappy, humid hellholes down here. You nailed it on the head, Johnny!

Old 05-24-2010, 07:25 PM

1,604 posts, read 3,885,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeruzz View Post

Not that I'm trying to pick on you, but i HATE, HATE, HATE, HATE, HATE, HATE, HATE, HATE, HATE, HATE, HATE, HATE, HATE, HATE, HATE, people who just give up on trying to fix/take care of their hometown etc!!!!!! By this, I mean people who talk about their downtowns and places like Camden, Newark, and A.C. and say things like "What do you want to do that for, no-one goes it's a ghetto" I am HELL BENT on fixing up those areas, and doing what ever I can to vote out those disgraciadi in Trenton!!!! If there's anything I'm passionate about, it's fixing NJ and making it a better place to live.

Old 05-24-2010, 08:31 PM

13 posts, read 32,977 times
I lived in New Jersey for most of my life until the end of 2007,when I had a stroke.That started quite a journey for me.I lived in Florida for a while(good place to visit but not to live).It's too flat,featureless,hot in the summer and beach oriented for my taste.I now live in North Charlotte and it aint Jersey!!The winter may not be as bad here and maybe real estate is cheaper,but Jersey has so much more of everything else!Ethnic restaurants,culture,mountains,beaches,beautiful towns etc.I would go back in a heartbeat!People who live there should stop complaining and count their blessings for what they have.The grass isn't always greener.

Old 05-24-2010, 11:41 PM

3 posts, read 4,050 times
I just moved back to NJ about six months ago from NC.
A small town outside the Raleigh area.
Okay.. my house is freaking big and gorgeous on almost three acres, though it's still not sold, it's a house that would be at least half a million here.
The natives are very friendly and helpful.. AND the natives are very strange and scary.
The heat for me was horrible.
From April to November, hot sticky, gross.
But, no shoveling snow.
If you lose your job there, good luch getting another one.
The schools are very crowded, and most of the kids have classes in trailers.
The "beach" is nothing like the Jersey Shore, NOTHING.
When you go to Wilimington, you will be comparing it to the Shore, trust me.
NC, low, low taxes.
The highways are beautiful, flowers everywhere.
Beautiful country roads.
But, after six years, I had enough.
Yes, Jersey is expensive, crowded and annoying, but I never felt at "home" in NC and it just felt weird.
If I could afford two homes, that would be great, but I can't.
The first time I drove back into NYC, I was like, this is where I need to be.

Old 05-25-2010, 08:56 AM

13 posts, read 32,977 times
North Carolina and Charlotte in general just arent for me to live.N.J may not be perfect and it may have some warts,but there is much more to do,see and explore.It's more built up,more established and has much more personality!It has ethnic restaurants everywhere,bakeries,bagels,pizza etc.It has numerous awesome towns with cool and sophisticated downtowns.Charlotte is like a blank slate,no memories,no smell of bakeries or pizza places,no beach nearby.But many of the people of N.J want to move,most of the time to a warmer climate.Be careful what you wish for because many people who move away from N.J,move back when they see what they're lacking,what they miss.People of N.J take for granted what they have and how it is and assume every place in the country will be the same,but it isn't.

Old 05-25-2010, 09:09 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,072,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
We briefly considered Houston--heck BIG cheap houses, tons of jobs (supposedly), plenty of eateries.. Also--big crime, big humidity and heat 6 months out of the year, too many chances to get 'fatter' on all that fast food...
Schools...well...??

No where overall has better education than the Northeast. To be within a few hours of NY and Philly and the excellent NJ colleges?? No brainer.

I don't need a huge house. 2 bedrooms is fine.

Yes, there is crime all over but crime in a place you can 'understand' (culturally) is better than somewhere you are 'weird' for gesturing or talking loud or being passionate about something. People here are 'too mellow' and if you aren't, well, you are weirdo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey