Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2009, 01:34 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,694,578 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by angerinthenation View Post
Funny, you must have spent all your life in New Jersey. We're not saying NYC doesn't have *******s but Jersey is FULL of them though.

And another thing too... can any of you please explain why there's tons of people that talk about the Jersey attitude if it's supposed to be a myth? You know... people talk about it offline. People talk about it in here. There's been tv shows based off of it. You know, there has to be some truth in it if even residents of the state actually acknowledge it by calling it "being straightforward" even though it's NOT that. Being straightforward does NOT mean being rude. Giving somebody the middle finger is NOT being straightforward.
do you think you have the jersey attitude?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2009, 01:41 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,705,240 times
Quote:
"I love Jersey because we got the best beaches."
if i was to make that claim, i wouldnt say "we got the best beaches." i would say "we have the best beaches."

anyway, im not really defending the kind people of new jersey. i think people in general are friendly and give you the attitude you give them. which, in your case, is a bad one.

Old 09-04-2009, 02:03 PM

129 posts, read 206,238 times
Anger, these people will only attack and demean. They will not face reality. It's not worth bothering with them.

As for the rest of you, the fact that you seem to hate Irvington only shows how entrenched your hostility really is. Your nasty attitude is very evident. Face up to it.

Old 09-04-2009, 02:03 PM

1,542 posts, read 6,041,609 times
Quote:
Funny, you must have spent all your life in New Jersey.
wrong. more like half my life in north jersey and most of the other half in nyc (mainly manhattan and queens, but have spent plenty of time in all five boroughs) as well as outside of the region altogether. whether i was in jersey, manhattan, queens, brooklyn, or elsewhere, i've gained a pretty thorough understanding of the greater nyc region - enough to realize that people's worldviews, accents, and mannerisms are basically the same in all of the metro area's subsections. there might be some minor differences and local quirks here and there, but in the end it all falls under the greater nyc umbrella.

nice try, though.

Quote:
We're not saying NYC doesn't have *******s but Jersey is FULL of them though.
i just have to laugh when people try to argue that the attitudes are so much different on either side of the hudson. remember, the difference between nyc and north jersey is primarily city vs. suburbs (the urban satellite cities such as newark and jc notwithstanding). either way, everything in northeast jersey is very much within nyc's orbit - that's why the area is considered a suburb of the city.

just because there's an arbitrary political boundary along the hudson doesn't mean that things are totally different across the river.

if the so-called greater nyc attitude is more concentrated in one particular area of the region, it would have to be in the city proper. not in the suburbs, where people are somewhat more laid-back.

Quote:
And another thing too... can any of you please explain why there's tons of people that talk about the Jersey attitude if it's supposed to be a myth? You know... people talk about it offline. People talk about it in here. There's been tv shows based off of it. You know, there has to be some truth in it if even residents of the state actually acknowledge it by calling it "being straightforward" even though it's NOT that. Being straightforward does NOT mean being rude. Giving somebody the middle finger is NOT being straightforward.
i'm not saying that nj residents don't have some attitude. some have plenty of it, others not so much. some are merely blunt and that gets misinterpreted by visitors and newcomers who grew up in other parts of the country.

what i was disputing in my previous post is the notion that there's a "nastiness" in nj that you don't find in nyc. as if nj is this isolated incubator of surliness and foul attitudes that is completely independent of nyc.

which is laughable, because the so-called jersey attitude has its roots in the streets and neighborhoods of nyc. don't you realize that, for better or worse, most north jerseyans' outlooks and personas have been shaped by the city? most people in the northern part of the state have roots in the city (either recent or going way back), and for those that don't (e.g. recent immigrants who moved directly to nj), it's impossible to avoid the nyc influence - even if you're living in a somewhat farther-out community such as parsippany or edison. and if you're in an inner community such as newark, lyndhurst, or north bergen, the nyc influence is even stronger; that part of the state is almost like a de facto sixth borough of the city.

look, we get what you're saying. all you do is rag on nj every chance you get. and although many of us who read and post on the nj forum are REALLY TIRED of your rants, i guess that's fine if YOU PERSONALLY hate new jersey. but please realize that you have an extreme viewpoint of the state that doesn't always reflect the more complex reality of living in nj. you tend to look at everything in a black-and-white manner, as if the entire state can be painted with a single broad stroke of the brush.

in short, chill out. sorry you hate new jersey, but hey, you can always move out.

Old 09-04-2009, 02:08 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,705,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzytish View Post
As for the rest of you, the fact that you seem to hate Irvington only shows how entrenched your hostility really is. Your nasty attitude is very evident. Face up to it.
if hating a crime ridden cesspool is wrong then i dont want to be right.

btw anger has said that irvington is a bad town and he also attributes most of the disrespect he has received to people living in irvington.

Old 09-04-2009, 02:41 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,694,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzytish View Post
Anger, these people will only attack and demean. They will not face reality. It's not worth bothering with them.

"Hostility and one-upmanship seem to be your calling card which makes me suspect you have a superiority complex. You may need serious help" - lizzytish

"these people will only attack and demean" - lizzytish

Old 09-04-2009, 02:57 PM

593 posts, read 1,661,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbergen View Post
wrong. more like half my life in north jersey and most of the other half in nyc (mainly manhattan and queens, but have spent plenty of time in all five boroughs) as well as outside of the region altogether. whether i was in jersey, manhattan, queens, brooklyn, or elsewhere, i've gained a pretty thorough understanding of the greater nyc region - enough to realize that people's worldviews, accents, and mannerisms are basically the same in all of the metro area's subsections. there might be some minor differences and local quirks here and there, but in the end it all falls under the greater nyc umbrella.

nice try, though.

i just have to laugh when people try to argue that the attitudes are so much different on either side of the hudson. remember, the difference between nyc and north jersey is primarily city vs. suburbs (the urban satellite cities such as newark and jc notwithstanding). either way, everything in northeast jersey is very much within nyc's orbit - that's why the area is considered a suburb of the city.

just because there's an arbitrary political boundary along the hudson doesn't mean that things are totally different across the river.

if the so-called greater nyc attitude is more concentrated in one particular area of the region, it would have to be in the city proper. not in the suburbs, where people are somewhat more laid-back.

i'm not saying that nj residents don't have some attitude. some have plenty of it, others not so much. some are merely blunt and that gets misinterpreted by visitors and newcomers who grew up in other parts of the country.

what i was disputing in my previous post is the notion that there's a "nastiness" in nj that you don't find in nyc. as if nj is this isolated incubator of surliness and foul attitudes that is completely independent of nyc.

which is laughable, because the so-called jersey attitude has its roots in the streets and neighborhoods of nyc. don't you realize that, for better or worse, most north jerseyans' outlooks and personas have been shaped by the city? most people in the northern part of the state have roots in the city (either recent or going way back), and for those that don't (e.g. recent immigrants who moved directly to nj), it's impossible to avoid the nyc influence - even if you're living in a somewhat farther-out community such as parsippany or edison. and if you're in an inner community such as newark, lyndhurst, or north bergen, the nyc influence is even stronger; that part of the state is almost like a de facto sixth borough of the city.

look, we get what you're saying. all you do is rag on nj every chance you get. and although many of us who read and post on the nj forum are REALLY TIRED of your rants, i guess that's fine if YOU PERSONALLY hate new jersey. but please realize that you have an extreme viewpoint of the state that doesn't always reflect the more complex reality of living in nj. you tend to look at everything in a black-and-white manner, as if the entire state can be painted with a single broad stroke of the brush.

in short, chill out. sorry you hate new jersey, but hey, you can always move out.
First and foremost, NYC has nothing to do with the Jersey attitude. You are reaching with that. NYC is more of anything goes. Anybody can see the difference between NYC and Jersey right off the bat. To even put them in the same league is a joke. There is NO NYC influence in Jersey for the most part. Jersey is more slow paced except with the drivers who usually are driving fast as hell to get from one town to the next and NYC drivers that drive aggressive due to the congestion on the roads. NYC roads for the most part are always congested and busy even in the nighttime. The NYC attitude as far as I'm concerned is more of a free spirited/free moving type of vibe where people are more to themselves than into other peoples business. People over there aren't aggressive compared to Jersey people as far as I know of.

Old 09-04-2009, 03:03 PM

1,542 posts, read 6,041,609 times
Quote:
First and foremost, NYC has nothing to do with the Jersey attitude. You are reaching with that. NYC is more of anything goes. Anybody can see the difference between NYC and Jersey right off the bat. To even put them in the same league is a joke. There is NO NYC influence in Jersey for the most part. Jersey is more slow paced except with the drivers who usually are driving fast as hell to get from one town to the next and NYC drivers that drive aggressive due to the congestion on the roads. NYC roads for the most part are always congested and busy even in the nighttime. The NYC attitude as far as I'm concerned is more of a free spirited/free moving type of vibe where people are more to themselves than into other peoples business. People over there aren't aggressive compared to Jersey people as far as I know of.
ok, i see that it's going to be impossible to discuss this rationally with you. there are so many things you've said that are just flat-out wrong, but i'm too tired and exasperated with you at this point.

so i'm not going to bother. i made my points and i stand by them 100%, as my opinions are the result of extensive experience living, working, and interacting with folks on both sides of the hudson. if you're going to dismiss my views out of hand due to your blinding, irrational hatred for nj, so be it.

it's not worth my time to converse with someone who clearly has an ax to grind and a one-dimensional, black-and-white viewpoint on this topic.

Old 09-04-2009, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbergen View Post
ok, i see that it's going to be impossible to discuss this rationally with you. there are so many things you've said that are just flat-out wrong, but i'm too tired and exasperated with you at this point.

so i'm not going to bother. i made my points and i stand by them 100%, as my opinions are the result of extensive experience living, working, and interacting with folks on both sides of the hudson. if you're going to dismiss my views out of hand due to your blinding, irrational hatred for nj, so be it.

it's not worth my time to converse with someone who clearly has an ax to grind and a one-dimensional, black-and-white viewpoint on this topic.

Yes, it is. You are playing with that statement. Go on the street and tell anybody in New York or New Jersey what you're telling me and you will be laughed at. You're kidding yourself. Jersey and New York are not in the same boat. New York is fast paced and New Jersey is slow paced. To say New Jersey is NYC influenced is a joke. That's like saying Connecticut is NYC influenced. Do you see any Hudson News stands in anywhere besides Penn Station downtown or areas around the PATH station? Hell... a lot of things that are in NYC are NOT in Jersey. Hell.. if Jersey was NYC influenced, places would be open 24/7. Hell... in NYC, you can afford to not have a license because there's always public transportation running. Do that in Jersey. See what it's like not having a car in somewhere like Jersey where everything is spread out such as shopping areas and supermarkets in residential areas. Try having to take the 94 bus to Route 22 in Union working at somewhere like Walmart or Target which is pretty much impossible to cross over since.. this is another reason why I love NYC and I think Jersey is ass backwards. They don't have pedestrian overpasses for those trying to get to the other sides of Route 22 but somehow they have the 94 bus stopping right around there picking up people that work around. That's Jersey for you. I don't know where you got the whole idea that NYC influences the Jersey way of life. That's funny. I can tell you with confidence that unlike in NYC where you can take for granted certain things such as taxi rides, transportation, shopping, entertainment and such. You cannot do the same thing in New Jersey. I guess you think the Prudential Center is supposed to be Jersey's version of MSG which is sad because whenever there's an event in the MSG, there's no interruptions going on with the roads. Try taking the bus or driving around the Prudential Center when there's a Devil's game during rush hour. The bright side crappy NJ Transit will actually have buses that show up on time due to there being a Devil's game even though the people that watch the Devil's game are NOT taking the bus, they're walking from Penn Station to the arena. Bad enough McCarter Highway is already a busy area on rush hour anyway.

I swear a lot of people in this forum seem to not see the same things people like me that actually go outdoors and interact with everyday people see. They just talk without realizing what they're saying.

Last edited by angerinthenation; 09-04-2009 at 04:08 PM..

Old 09-04-2009, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
if i was to make that claim, i wouldnt say "we got the best beaches." i would say "we have the best beaches."

anyway, im not really defending the kind people of new jersey. i think people in general are friendly and give you the attitude you give them. which, in your case, is a bad one.

First and foremost, don't talk like you know me because you don't. I don't approach people all rude and fresh to begin with. In fact, I'm pretty cool and all that. I'm not going to blame myself for other people being angry now. I deal with that at work, okay. I deal with people's nasty attitudes all the time so trust me, I can tell you that I've dealt with more nasty attitudes than nice ones. So yes, it's a Jersey thing. I guess being rude, impolite and miserable is the thing over here. Hell, I've seen other people get dealt with in the same manner too and they were being all friendly. I've had it happen to family members as well. As well as people over here too.. So no, it has NOTHING to do with being friendly. Hell.. I've seen people with *****ty attitudes get way more friendly treatment from others over here than if you somebody were being nice. I've dealt with it at school, I've dealt with it in the streets, at dealt with it in stores. Trust me, I'm not a mean person at all. I'm not taking the fault for other peoples mistakes. Maybe I should give people what they give me such as yourself with these smartass remarks of yours. You don't know what you're talking about.

And for the record, angerinthenation is actually a name of a song. Google it up. This is why I can't take you seriously. Stop with the whole "our angry buddy".. just because it's in my name doesn't mean I'm angry. Grow up.

I can see why people frown down on Jersey for it's people. There's nothing you can do to convince me otherwise. I know what I've seen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey