Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 06:58 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,716,602 times

Advertisements

i think anger was just messing around when he suggested maybe its his fault people are rude to him. i dont think he believes it could possibly be his fault. but why is everyone nice to me (and im the jerk apparently) and everyone is obnoxious to angerinthenation? its some kind of freakish mystery.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2009, 10:34 PM

52 posts, read 207,044 times
NJ people are warm and honest. Once you get past that, it may seem like we have "attitudes" by some. But it's just us being the warm, honest people we are. Now if you don't want to hear it like it REALLY is, then don't ask someone from NJ! On the other hand - The real housewives of NJ are NOT representatives of NJ in ANY SHAPE OR FORM! They're a bunch of spoiled, rich wannabe's. Most NJ women (like myself) don't spend that kind of money on shoes. (We spend it on Designer pocketbooks!) LOL!

Old 09-02-2009, 11:18 AM

88,605 posts, read 84,857,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i think anger was just messing around when he suggested maybe its his fault people are rude to him. i dont think he believes it could possibly be his fault. but why is everyone nice to me (and im the jerk apparently) and everyone is obnoxious to angerinthenation? its some kind of freakish mystery.
You have a sense of humor. That goes a long way.

Old 09-02-2009, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
You have a sense of humor. That goes a long way.
i appreciate that but i think its more when people look at me, i smile. if i think someone wants a greeting, i give a greeting. if someone asks me something, i speak to them in a cheerful voice and try to help them. i do always joke around with people when i interract with them. its just about having a positive attitude. people are all basically nice, or at least feel a social obligation to be nice to those who are nice to them. we all ultimately have one goal in life, to maximize our quality of life. being negative doesnt help that one bit.

Old 09-02-2009, 11:59 AM

88,605 posts, read 84,857,016 times
Quote:
i appreciate that but i think its more when people look at me, i smile. if i think someone wants a greeting, i give a greeting. if someone asks me something, i speak to them in a cheerful voice and try to help them. i do always joke around with people when i interract with them. its just about having a positive attitude. people are all basically nice, or at least feel a social obligation to be nice to those who are nice to them. we all ultimately have one goal in life, to maximize our quality of life. being negative doesnt help that one bit.
Well said. I always say hello or good morning or whatever to someone when I pass them on the street (except at work in the city, where there are just too many people to make that a feasible habit) rather than just walk around them in silence. Somebody has to go first and it's not as if they don't see this six-foot-tall woman coming their way. Same with bank tellers, ticket sellers, store people--if you set the tone being open and friendly, most of the time that's what you get in return.

Old 09-02-2009, 05:21 PM

593 posts, read 1,661,422 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReluctantGardenStater View Post
It's just hilarious how you've posted several times now about the attitudes of NJ residents, generalizing and stereotyping to the max, yet you see no problem with your own troublesome attitude and fail to realize how that could be a factor in how people respond to you.

This is funny.

Last edited by angerinthenation; 09-02-2009 at 05:30 PM..

Old 09-02-2009, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by angerinthenation View Post
This is funny.
how is it funny?

Old 09-03-2009, 06:07 PM

593 posts, read 1,661,422 times
Quote:
how is it funny?

I like how you try to zero in on me when you should be zeroing in on yourself. You are not the person that you THINK you are. Just because you got all those green boxes and number of posts in less than 4 months doesn't mean a thing.

And there's a whole lot of ignorance that you as well as others talk. That's why I laughed at what you and him said. It really pissed me off to see you and somebody else trying to pass off my statements for ebonics and being a race imitator, like what is a race imitator. Let's be real here. You wouldn't know what ebonics was if it was right in front of your face. Don't even go there. So what are you really saying about black people then if I'm supposed to be a race imitator? Then you wonder why NEWARKMAGIC and me are calling you a racist. I guess if I made no form of spelling errors, I'd be a white person then as if proper english is supposed to be a race thing. I don't see any form of grammar errors I made on my part. You were just looking for things to make me look bad because your fellow posters are just as ignorant as yourself. You are that lame to pull such a stunt when you're backed into a corner and know you're wrong. The nerve of this ******* to talk about "Do you speak the English language?" as if I'm speaking spanish. I also think it's really clownish of you to pass off everything I say as ebonics. Just because you can't understand what I'm saying doesn't make me stupid and you smart, jackass. As far as I'm concerned, you are probably one of the most ignorant posters on here and you hiding your prejudices too like a real phony.

For real, just off of you and some other posters in here. I can see why people bash New Jersey. It's like you're living under a rock. Don't get mad at me because I'm telling it how it is and you telling it how it might be in your own little world. You're probably one of those smartasses that calls in the Tommy G show on Jersey 101.5 and talk a lot of ignorance thinking you're talking knowledge. You really get to see what's wrong with the state of NJ listening to that radio show as well as reading these forums. In order to speak on a lot of things, you actually have to know what you're talking about. You were quick to belittle Irvington but hell.. Newark is more dangerous than Irvington. Hell, I was actually there passing by those same projects where the 4 year old got shot at off of Springfield Ave and Irvine Turner Blvd sometime before and after the shooting happened. Not during though.

Another thing too. I speak for myself. I didn't say everybody in Jersey was mean now but I did say that the whole Jersey attitude does exist. There's people that live here that do live off that attitude. You can say whatever you want but there's people besides myself that are saying the same thing. There's nice people in Jersey but at the same time, there's some pricks out here too. You're more likely to run into them than a nice person though. I don't make things up. I tell you from my experiences dealing with people from this state. There's people that will disrespect you for NO reason right to your face. You don't even have to talk to them PERIOD. You don't even have to look at them but they sure as hell are eyeing you up and down making you the center of attention. I've seen it happened to people, I've had it happened to me, etc. That's another thing about Jersey. A lot of people over here are always minding other peoples businesses so they notice everything about a particular person is doing from the way they dress to the way they walk so they can say something negative about that person to make themselves feel good. That's sad. Somebody having to look for flaws in another person to make them feel good about themselves. I find it hilarious how you're saying how bad Brooklyn was when New Yorkers actually mind their business and let you be. You can pretty much carry on doing your own thing without people noticing you and ready to talk *****. I rather have people ignoring me on my way walking down 5th Avenue than walk in downtown Newark or Livington Mall with some people laughing at me when I walk pass them talking ***** behind my back about the way I look like why they give a damn about the way I look. Are they that bored?

Last edited by angerinthenation; 09-03-2009 at 06:30 PM..

Old 09-04-2009, 04:34 AM

129 posts, read 206,289 times
Anger, you hit the nail on the head. There is nastiness in Jersey that you don't get in NYC. I have found many people in northern NJ to have an arrogant, superior attitude, even when I'm nice to them!

Oh by the way, I did not grow up in New Jersey, so I've had the experience of seeing how people treat others in different states. Generally speaking, New Jerseyans have a long way to go as far in regards to courtesy and tolerance. And the politics and organization of this state is horrendous.....and nobody seems to want to change anything.

If you get a chance, read "The Soprano State" - google it and read the review on amazon.com. Those two New Jersey reporters had the guts to tell it like it is. If you had more people like that in NJ, then maybe things would turn around.

Old 09-04-2009, 06:02 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,700,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzytish View Post
Anger, you hit the nail on the head. There is nastiness in Jersey that you don't get in NYC. I have found many people in northern NJ to have an arrogant, superior attitude, even when I'm nice to them!

Oh by the way, I did not grow up in New Jersey, so I've had the experience of seeing how people treat others in different states. Generally speaking, New Jerseyans have a long way to go as far in regards to courtesy and tolerance. And the politics and organization of this state is horrendous.....and nobody seems to want to change anything.

If you get a chance, read "The Soprano State" - google it and read the review on amazon.com. Those two New Jersey reporters had the guts to tell it like it is. If you had more people like that in NJ, then maybe things would turn around.
By God, I've got it!!!!!!

People in NJ have no courtesy, tolerance, they are rude, upfront and brash. *You* and anger are not like that. However, in describing said people, YOU are bring upfront, rude and brash with your posts, but that's ok because you have nothing in common with them and are merely being descriptive! Did I get that right?

I'll say it again - you get what you give. If, generally speaking, people are rude, maybe it's the way YOU approach situations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey