Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2010, 10:57 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,733,488 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
Speaking of that, when are you coming down to visit?
Not sure, they are coming up in July...hehehe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2010, 10:59 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,385,838 times
Hope you prepared them for the heat and humidity.....lol

Old 04-23-2010, 11:00 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,706,970 times
Quote:
Understood. My point all along has been to try and show her the difference between what she has, and what she might have available in NJ. Here's a house in her current town, just to give you an idea as to what sub-$600k buys you there.

1065 Oakpointe, Dunwoody, GA, 30338 - MLS #4028910 - Single Family Home real estate - REALTOR.com®
Oh, I definitely see your point. There is no comparison between how much 'house' one can get for the money outside of northern NJ, particularly when it comes to newer construction. One of the main reasons I no longer live there. By NJ standards, my ~2000 sq ft. house on a .25 acre was a real bargain and believe me I know how fortunate I am, especially when you factor in the taxes, etc.

Has anyone pointed out the tax differential to the OP yet?

Old 04-23-2010, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post

Has anyone pointed out the tax differential to the OP yet?
I haven't, because I'm sure it would just be downplayed by all of the "but look at the great schools, closeness to NYC, etc." that gets thrown out there anytime someone mentions the high taxes in NJ. I would home the OP has already researched that item and realizes what she's signing up for.

Old 04-23-2010, 11:11 AM

taking a wild guess what do you think the taxes would be on those homes in Allenwood

Old 04-23-2010, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
taking a wild guess what do you think the taxes would be on those homes in Allenwood
Couldn't find the taxes for those particular homes, but found another home in Allendale on Zillow that sold for $805k in February, and had taxes of $19k and change.

Old 04-23-2010, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Couldn't find the taxes for those particular homes, but found another home in Allendale on Zillow that sold for $805k in February, and had taxes of $19k and change.
~~~~~~~~~SHUDDER~~~~~~~~~ and I don't care if you can spit and hit NYC that is INSANE

Old 04-23-2010, 01:19 PM

4,085 posts, read 8,789,213 times
Quote:
She asked for "Mayberry" before we found out that she lives in Dunwoody. She's not looking for Mayberry in the "skip down the dirt road to the fishin' hole" way, but rather in the "community-oriented, know my neighbors" way.
I never thought of "Mayberry" meaning that, but I suppose I should have, since realistically there aren't really any "skip down the dirt road to the fishin' hole" suburbs anywhere these days. Or, if there are, then the term "Mayberry" should apply to those, not to more modernized suburbs. Anyway, my misunderstanding.

Quote:
As we got more info, it became clear that she's looking for a home that's not likely to be found in many areas of Bergen County without a substantial increase in her budget (daylight basement, oepn floor plan, swin/tennis amenities package).

Again, Maywood was mentioned prior to her stating that she lived in Dunwoody, and was selected to show what the $500k- $1 million budget might get her in Bergen County. As we got more info, it became obvious that Maywood wouldn't be the right place for her, but it also became obvious that $500K-$1mil isn't going to buy her what she's leaving behind, either.

Can she live in a decent home in BC with some town amenities for $1 mil? Sure she can. Can she replicate what she has currently on that budget? Nope. Are with regard to spending through the nose- relative to what she's likely spending now both on the house and on taxes, I'd say what she'll be paying in BC for something comparable qualifies as "spending through the nose" to many people.

I don't think I provided any misinformation at all- I simply stated that she won't find what she currently has in Dunwoody (based on what she's asked for) in BC. I never said that she won't find something nice, just that it won't be what she's asked for so far. Let's not turn this into a pissing match.
I'm not looking for a pissing match either, Bob, so I apologize for jumping down your throat a bit there. Point taken about your Maywood suggestion and that she only revealed more info in later posts.

I think what you posted was misleading but I give you the benefit of the doubt that that wasn't your intention. I think what was important to tell the OP wasn't what she couldn't replicate but rather what is different here and what she could do to get what she wants in a home up here, and point out there a some positives along with any negatives. For example, no HOA to deal with, more variety in the homes available, a choice in swim/tennis/golf/country/etc. clubs (or choice for none, to use public amenities for free instead, which can often be the better value). She seems to understand that you spend more here for the same thing down there, but the budget she has will give her what she is looking for, even if not in the sense of a "development" with a HOA and all.

On their budget, they can find a beautiful home with 5 BR 2/3 BA, good sized property, all the amenities in their town, etc. so I just want her to realize all that.

Old 04-23-2010, 09:28 PM

205 posts, read 693,058 times
Thank you again for all your feedback. Some things I knew (less for your money, high property taxes), but much has been very educational.

While I didn't spell out what I meant when I said Mayberry, you have surmised correctly that I really meant a friendly community with family/children's activities like parades, fireworks, a town fair, etc. We have those things in Dunwoody and it does seem to make our town somewhat unique amongst the Atlanta suburbs that I am familiar with. And also a neighborhood where the kids can safely play outside.

While I wasn't expecting to be able to get a house like the one Bob provided a link for, I am a bit disappointed that I am not finding more "curb appeal" houses within our price range. Like "five, four and a door" Colonials or cute Victorian or craftsman style homes. I will keep looking though. Hopefully I will get to go up in person, soon, to drive around and really get more of a feel.

I know that proximity to NYC brings the costs up, up, up, but that really isn't something my family needs. We just need to commute to the Saddle River. Would I get more house the further west and south I go, but still have great schools and a great community? If possible, he would like to keep his commute to 30 minutes or less.

I liked the sound of Ringwood (how it centers around a couple of lakes and has lots of community activities for families), but I noticed their Kindergarten is only 1/2 day (really less than 3 hours long). Is it that way in all Passaic/Bergen County schools? Also, the schools only rank 6 or 7 and I couldn't locate what high school they feed into. Is there another community like Ringwood?

I don't play tennis, so I don't need a country club or formal swim/tennis club. I just want a neighborhood pool or lake where the kids can swim.

Thanks to so many of you who have lent their knowledge and insight toward helping us make a good decision for our family!

ps: Bob, my friend is looking at the same house you posted here as a possibility for them to buy.

pps: BergenCountyJohnny: Do you mind sharing what town you live in? It sounds nice if it is in our price range. Thank you!

Old 04-25-2010, 08:24 AM

5,616 posts, read 15,521,566 times
Quote:
I made the opposite move three years ago, leaving central NJ for Cherokee County, GA, so I can relate to your questions. A few comments:

- "Fitting in" probably won't be as big of an issue as you think- metro Atlanta isn't "typical south", so it's not going to be the rude awakening you would have if you were moving from Albany, GA or somewhere in rural Mississippi.

- Daylight basements aren't as popular in NJ as they are in GA, and you're likely to have a tough time finding one. Most basements are almost completely subterranean, with small windows or light wells to get light into the space, but they usually still "feel like a basement".

- You'll definitely need a significant salary bump if you're looking at having a nice, newer, spacious home and maintain your current standard of living- the cost of housing (even with the slip in the economy) and the property taxes will be quite a bit higher than what you're currently paying. You're likely to find that the salary difference isn't all that great though, unless you're in an NJ/NY-centric business like the stock market or pharma.

- It might help to know what town you're living in now, as that may narrow down the areas that would be a similar fit in northern NJ.

As an idea of what to expect, here's a house in Maywood, which is a fairly nice town in Bergen County, listed for $460k.

819 Lincoln Ave, Maywood, NJ, 07607 - MLS #1000580 - Single Family Home real estate - REALTOR.com®

And here's what $670k will buy you.

148 Romaine Ave, Maywood, NJ, 07607 - MLS #2942329 - Single Family Home real estate - REALTOR.com®

Those are obviously only two of many homes in the area, but they'll give you some idea of what's there.

its funny I never would have looked at that first house and considered Maywood, however you did an excellent job!! Really great home, the first one I liked alot. It had some charm to it in a funny cozy way. I wish I had you as my agent!! Good job!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey