Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 07:00 PM

7,891 posts, read 11,417,653 times

Advertisements

Building an economy takes an attention span of decades which unfortunately doesnt work well in the political world where the last sound bite on tv is considered ancient history. Taos is what it is going to be.... a tourist mecca and not for those who want to be surrounded by those like themselves. Ive been a part time resident of the area for 40 years..... its magical and attracts tourist who like the multi culture it offers. It is an artistic place and always will be...unfortunately funds for being a tourist are limited these days and arent coming back unless places which like jobs that produce things the world needs desparately...like energy, food and some distractions from life...provide those products better than the competition we face from serious places like China, Brazil etc. The liberals like to stop growth but want the wealth to give things to those who dont have them.....without serious consideration to how we create the jobs and wealth to provide those things.

It time for change... dare we change

Last edited by Johnhw2; 08-09-2012 at 07:30 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2012, 11:28 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,722,740 times
Small towns are nice -- there are advantages to having a small town instead of some big sprawling megapolis. What's the point in growth for the sake of growth?

Old 08-10-2012, 07:58 PM

3,763 posts, read 8,755,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltkernok View Post
Read the last paragraph.
I did. You asked what do you think. That is what I think. No argument here, mindless or otherwise.

By the way, just wondering. Where do you live? I'm trying to guess. Indulge me if you would.

Have fun!

Old 10-17-2012, 04:08 PM

27 posts, read 52,651 times
If you're pondering if I"m from a big sprawling city you've got it right ha. San Antonio, Texas. Though I was born North East. Taos is beautiful, just wish I could find a job out there. This discussion has been very informative.

Sorry for the late reply Bongo.

Old 10-17-2012, 05:30 PM

3,763 posts, read 8,755,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltkernok View Post
If you're pondering if I"m from a big sprawling city you've got it right ha. San Antonio, Texas. Though I was born North East. Taos is beautiful, just wish I could find a job out there. This discussion has been very informative.

Sorry for the late reply Bongo.
Good luck in the job search, Voltkernok!

Old 10-18-2012, 06:45 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,805,597 times
Wealth can only be created by farming, manufacture, including design, or mining. Everything else just moves the wealth around. It seems to me that Taos is too cold for agriculture, too disconnected for mass manufacture although making small very high value goods is a possibility, and most of the productive mines are used up. When I consider all of these I conclude that small very high tech manufacturing would be the way to create wealth and "making Taos a better Taos" is the way to attract more outside tourist wealth. A variant on the latter theme is to become a service oriented town designed to provide for elderly residents and their medical care. Lots of boomers are retiring and, with good medical facilities, Taos would be a good place to live a retired life.

I have suggested the same to the town manager of a small upstate New Hampshire town. I think it applies to any remote city with physical and cultural charm.

Old 10-18-2012, 07:49 AM

3,689 posts, read 9,186,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
and most of the productive mines are used up.
::cough:: Any basis for that? Lots of good things to mine in them thar mountains.

Old 10-18-2012, 10:59 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,805,597 times
Lack of mines currently active gave me the first clue. If there were minerals in large enough deposits to be commercially viable there would be a bunch of big holes in the ground like the Santa Rita pit.

Old 10-18-2012, 11:13 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,783,825 times
Quote:
Lack of mines currently active gave me the first clue. If there were minerals in large enough deposits to be commercially viable there would be a bunch of big holes in the ground like the Santa Rita pit.
The U.S. is the world's second largest producer of copper and gold, exports over US$26 billion worth of minerals and material produced from minerals each year. Its mining industry employs over 3 million people directly and indirectly.

Minerals are New Mexico's richest natural resource. New Mexico is one of the U.S. leaders in output of uranium and potassium salts. Petroleum, natural gas, coal, copper, gold, silver, zinc, lead, and molybdenum also contribute heavily to the state’s income...

Old 10-18-2012, 12:04 PM

3,689 posts, read 9,186,940 times
Quote:
If there were minerals in large enough deposits to be commercially viable there would be a bunch of big holes in the ground like the Santa Rita pit.
Not all mines look like copper open pit mines. In fact, New Mexico's largest mined product, coal, leaves the land looking the same five years after it was disturbed (at least the modern methods used do).

What's commercially viable changes year by year. What's permitted by the state and landowners similarly changes year by year.

The amount of high-risk capital available to start new mines similarly changes. The technology of what's wanted and how easy it is to recover similarly changes.

Taos is surrounded by all sorts of commodities that are getting mined out and/or expensive from current sources. Many of these deposits haven't been discovered yet. Many are known but haven't been extracted yet.

If I get my way, I'll start processing some of those materials someday (don't worry Taoseños, they're an hour's drive out of town).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico