Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 02:46 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,907,489 times

Advertisements

Don't close the thread before I find out if SteveO saw the bullsnake pic I posted for him!

Old 07-31-2008, 03:08 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,633,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clairz View Post
Great way to sum it up, Harry! Does this mean we're at the end of this seemingly endless and contentious thread?

~clairz
Well if one of them says something to get the other fired up then it will probably go on and on and on.....

Old 07-31-2008, 06:37 PM

3,011 posts, read 10,030,715 times
Not sure the stringy part sounds very appetizing.

Since I have both high blood pressure and arthritis, I probably need to go out and hunt some rattlesnakes.

Old 07-31-2008, 08:53 PM
_yb

1,120 posts, read 5,291,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pintada Kid View Post
Rattlesnake meat is Delicious it tastes between Rabbit and chicken. Chicken you eat with your fingers and Rattlesnake meat is Stringy and you use your fingers and fingernails to strip the Stringy meat off the bones it comes right off in strips. You cook it like you would chicken or Dry it like Jerky. Rattlesnake Meat is good for High Blood Pressure the Fat is good for Arthritis and Rheumetism it really works. pintada kid at webtv.net
I have had rattlesnake fried in a kettle a few times. Tasted more like chicken. It was very tough. You have to be carefull with the bone because it is very hard.

Seems like you are getting a hard time from folks that do not even live in NM.

I really don't like to kill snakes myself. I just leave them be. Some of the largest rattlesnakes I have ever seen in NM come from down south of Corona. We ran across one wood cutting several years ago that was 6 foot 8 inches long. Scared the S@!t out of my brother. Now the skin hangs on his wall.

Most of the land owners I know kill them on sight.

Old 07-31-2008, 08:56 PM

576 posts, read 2,308,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towanda View Post
Nope, the end is not in sight yet.

I just got back from my vacation ... and have spent a long time reading the comments on this thread. If I had been here days ago, I would have warned everyone to refrain from personal attacks and namecalling, but the thread seems to have overcome that little violation of the rules and gone on harmlessly (nonvenomously).
Oh ho, ho! We could tell you were on vacation, Towanda. It was a little bit like being in a classroom when the teacher isn't there...

Hope you had a good vacation.

~clairz

Old 07-31-2008, 10:27 PM

3,011 posts, read 10,030,715 times
Well, I can see I missed some verrrrry interesting discussions while I was gone.

Old 07-31-2008, 10:48 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,907,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towanda View Post
Not sure the stringy part sounds very appetizing.

Since I have both high blood pressure and arthritis, I probably need to go out and hunt some rattlesnakes.
Come to the E Mtns and hunt all you want. (we'll make more). Seriously, if I never see one in person I will be happy. Since I have had two people I know and who live within a few miles of me have their dogs bitten by rattlers on their property this summer, I have asked dh to pick up some snake shot.

Bullsnakes I will let be, perhaps chase them away from the house and area immediately surrounding it, but a rattler probably would not get a gimme from me.

Old 08-01-2008, 07:49 AM

1,753 posts, read 4,251,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Ahhhh, the whole time Im thinking your DH got bit by a desert recluse species (Loxoceles deserta).

Nope. We're SATURATED with moisture here ( and it's unbelievable how quickly I want to leave this behind!) so i'm sure it wasn't that species.

Old 08-01-2008, 09:00 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,410,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblinRoseRanch View Post
Nope. We're SATURATED with moisture here ( and it's unbelievable how quickly I want to leave this behind!) so i'm sure it wasn't that species.
Yeah, I was talking about Utah, not UT (Tennessee).

Old 08-01-2008, 10:01 PM

47 posts, read 130,750 times
Default WOWZERS STEVE-O over 12 THOUSAND POSTS!!!

...in under 2 years and this is just one of several forum boards you visit? I'm surprised you find time to leave the city and go snake handling!

Some of your flower pictures are really lovely, it appears you were out of the concrete and off the asphalt long enough to set up camera equipment...but to assuage your inquiring mind, I will answer your questions ONE TIME. If you have a misunderstanding of my answers, (see University of Tennessee not the state of Utah), I'm confident you can rethink all this until it makes sense to you.

As it seems to be the flavor of this thread, let me provide you with a bare bone biography~formally educated and degreed in Environmental Science, I can (parenthesize and italicize Latin nomenclature with the best of'em). The schooling didn't make me an expert, it just opened the door to a life seeking to better understand how the whole world works. I have had the good fortune to spend most of my life outside.

My time on the internet is fun and sometimes educational, but a mere blink of the eye compared to your media (teevee & internet) exposure.

To maximize our communication and understanding, it will be necessary to shift your paradigm.(it won't hurt, I promise) Your questions come from a 2008 perspective. As you read my answers please keep in mind that the event I related occurred mid-twentieth century. Life was quite different. The setting wasn't URBAN, or SUBURBAN, it was RURAL. Rural in a way that doesn't exist today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Were you taken to the hospital? NO. I was seen immediately by a medical professional, my mom, a registered nurse. Our closest state-of-the-art medical facility was located some ten miles away. It consisted of a two-story clapboard farmhouse that had been converted into a hospital. Consulting room, surgery, laboratory, and pharmacy on the first floor. Men's ward, women's ward, and a laying in room (maternity) and nursery upstairs. This is where the anti-venom serum came from along with Doc Hulen to our place.

Were the snakes positively ID'd (by someone who knows snakes) as cottonmouths? YES, me. Later my dad and uncle confirmed my identification when they cleaned the creek behind our house of the said snakes. I am unsure if my dad and uncle were somebodies who knew the area snakes, they were just third generation on our homestead.

There wasn't a herpatologist mucking about in the back forty, not even a lousy CSI tech with a herpatologist on the other end of a cell phone that day.

Watersnakes are notorious for being quite defensive At what point does defensive become aggressive? 'Quite defensive' may be herpatologically/politically correct. In this particular scenario 'quite defensive' does not merely obfusticate, it states an untruth. When snakes come out of water to attack, seems to lean more to aggressive to me.

It is misleading and dangerous to understate the abilities of a creature in some misguided effort to get people to 'like' them.

(Nerodia spp), way more so than cottonmouths. I BOW to your expertise. I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn last night, just the forest where I live. Bet ya learned that on the internet, didn't ya!

If you were 12, and had multiple bites from 4 (!!!!) cottonmouths, you would have spent several days in the ER, taking MANY vials of anti-venin. NO, NO ER, not even a HIGHLY trained Emergency Medical Technician complete with shiny ambulance and flashing lights. I was a very sick kid, it took a long time to recover. I am still the same height I was when I was attacked by WATER MOCASSINS. To my knowledge, I did nothing to cause these snakes to ATTACK ME.

For whatever reason you have taken on the task of championing snakes, please, please be responsible in what you post. Some folks are niave and/or gullible enough to believe just about anything they see on the internet or teevee.

Have a real good day, Steve-o....or if it's night when you read this, don't let the bed snakes bite!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
View detailed profiles of: