Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 12:32 PM

2,857 posts, read 6,729,311 times

Advertisements

I have to agree with Steve-O. If you don't like snakes avoid areas where you may come in contact with them . . . no need to kill them.

Old 07-24-2008, 12:51 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,425,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domino View Post
I have to agree with Steve-O. If you don't like snakes avoid areas where you may come in contact with them . . . no need to kill them.
I wonder how theyd feel if I started hacking their puppies and kittens with hoes and shovels just because they came in my yard and I didnt take the time to educate myself about them. There are many people who LOVE snakes and defend them to all ends of the earth, Im one of them.

There is no reason to hate snakes nor kill them.

Old 07-24-2008, 01:49 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,425,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pintada Kid View Post
I call these two Animals Vengeful because they might run away when you throw a rock at them but they Sneak back around you and try to get you or come after you
Its very sad that you believe this and are trying to get other people to believe this jargon. Racers have been known to give short bursts of speed at people to get you to leave their area, but they wont sneak around you and stalk you, nor will any other snake. THEY WANT NOTHING TO DO WITH HUMANS!!!!!

Old 07-24-2008, 04:01 PM

717 posts, read 1,955,855 times
Steve-o...once again I see you are trying to educate the masses, apparently in vain. People tend to be superstitious and narrow minded as we both know. Often profoundly so. Unfortunately for most of nature, this ignorance is helping to rapidly destroy this wondrous and singularly beautiful planet. At the rate we are ravaging and ruining this world there will be little left of the natural world for our grandchildren to experience; pitiful loss to such brazen stupidity. I applaud your efforts to educate nevertheless (however futile they may prove to be).

Old 07-24-2008, 04:09 PM

1,763 posts, read 6,000,575 times
We're actually quite lucky in the US, to have snakes that are far less venomous than in many parts of the world. In Australia, there are many species of snakes that are essentially a death sentence, bitewise. There are also some snakes across Africa/Asia that are so venomous, that when bitten, the only way to save your life is to hack off the hand or appendage immediately.

Just be glad that we don't have Black Mambas here. These members of the cobra family live in Africa, and are so aggressive, they've been known to literally spring out of the bush onto a person walking along a path & minding their own business. One bite has enough venom to kill over 20 men, and they grow to over 9 ft.

http://www.answers.com/topic/black-mamba-1

Last edited by Merlander; 07-24-2008 at 04:33 PM..

Old 07-24-2008, 05:33 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,640,986 times
I didn't even know that there are Red Racers in NM as i thought they are a Mojave desert snake found mainly in California??

Last edited by Six Foot Three; 07-24-2008 at 05:48 PM..

Old 07-24-2008, 05:53 PM

550 posts, read 1,550,689 times
Exclamation Snakes Alive ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Its very sad that you believe this and are trying to get other people to believe this jargon. Racers have been known to give short bursts of speed at people to get you to leave their area, but they wont sneak around you and stalk you, nor will any other snake. THEY WANT NOTHING TO DO WITH HUMANS!!!!!
Yes snakes are more afraid of you than you are of them. But if you have ever crossed paths with a cotton mouth you will find they are very aggressive. I had one chase me into the garage when it had ample places to escape to. 'May it rest in peace.' And I have picked up more than one hog-nose they are constrictors and are very mildly poisonous, but they defiantly don't like being handled. All freed unharmed.
My moto is live and let live!, If I can!

Old 07-24-2008, 07:42 PM

717 posts, read 1,955,855 times
Ah... Pipeweld another kindred soul! Can't agree more with your concluding observation. I try to not kill anything that does me no direct harm. I will dispatch anything that threatens my family as a matter of survival but I'll do it with reluctance, remorse and only as a last resort. I do fish and hunt occasionally and I endeavor to waste nothing and always to impact the environment as minimally as possible. Where ever I live I plant my properties lavishly to the limits of the local ecological carrying capacity. I love jungles and heavy forests. I try to be active in green-friendly projects as much as my limited resources and time permits and these pursuits are often very spiritually satisfying indeed. I truly love every unimaginably unique creature that shares this marvelous planet with us and respect its right to exist as identical to my own. I do not believe other life forms should be viewed as a lessor substrate of the human experience but, rather, as collateral and equal voyagers in this thing we call life.

Old 07-24-2008, 08:47 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,909,380 times
Default eye candy for steveo

not the same one in our yard yesterday but a recent visitor.

Enjoy.

stll cant get the pic in. OK I have to go figure out how to do this. Does this work now?
Attached Thumbnails
New Mexico Snakes-snakeevensmaller.jpg  

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 04-02-2017 at 09:23 PM..

Old 07-24-2008, 09:41 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,909,380 times
I think it was 4-5 feet. Yep we have lots of bullsnakes around here. They spend more time at the neighbor's barn, hunting rodents, but occasionally they hang out in our yard. Last summer a big one was in the road by our driveway, and our neighbor saw it and got a stick and tossed it into the field across the street so it would go hunting where it would not bother anyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
View detailed profiles of: