Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 04:32 PM

1,763 posts, read 5,999,585 times

Advertisements

A little blurb on coral snakes:

Coral Snake

"The Arizona coral snake is found in extreme southwest Catron County and western Hidalgo and Grant counties. Although coral snakes rarely bite, their venom is highly poisonous and they should not be handled. The Arizona coral snake has a black nose and is brightly colored with broad alternating rings of red and black, separated by narrower rings of white or yellow. These markings encircle the body, although they are less bright on the belly.

In New Mexico, other snakes with similar markings are the New Mexico milk snake, Arizona mountain king snake, and the long-nosed snake. The narrower red bands are bordered by black on the New Mexico milk snake and Arizona mountain king snake, while the Arizona coral snake has broad red bands with yellow borders. The long-nosed snake is pale compared to the Arizona coral snake, with stripes that do not extend around the body and white spots on the side of the snake’s black bands.

An easy way to determine whether a red, yellow, and black snake is a coral snake is to remember that red touches yellow on a coral snake, and red touches black on non-poisonous species."

p.s. This is one snake you don't want to be bitten by. If you memorize the [red] rule above, it will help you identify who's who. Probably easiest to stay completely away from any snake that has the yellow, red & black rings, though. Here's a pic: http://museum.utep.edu/archive/repti...coralsnake.htm

Last edited by Merlander; 07-23-2008 at 04:59 PM..

Old 07-24-2008, 07:49 AM

1,753 posts, read 4,251,943 times
Reading Tim's report reminds me of MY motto- The only good snake is a DEAD snake.

Old 07-24-2008, 09:47 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,410,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblinRoseRanch View Post
Reading Tim's report reminds me of MY motto- The only good snake is a DEAD snake.
What an ignorant, sad, pathetic motto.

Old 07-24-2008, 09:55 AM

Well, considering I have children, large and small animals that don't know how to check for venomous vs nonvenomous snakes, I think it a rather sound one.

What a impolite, unconsiderate, unwarranted comment, Steve-o.

Old 07-24-2008, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Well, considering I have children, large and small animals that don't know how to check for venomous vs nonvenomous snakes, I think it a rather sound one
Do they know the difference between a Dachshund and a pitbull? Surely a dog can do far more damage to you than a snake. Should you walk around stating "the only good dog is a dead dog" just because you wont take the time to educate your children about what dogs could possibly harm them? If a stray Rottweiler comes into your yard and could possibly kill your kids and other dogs, would you persecute it, too?

Old 07-24-2008, 10:25 AM

3,061 posts, read 8,365,797 times
Quote:
Well, considering I have children, large and small animals that don't know how to check for venomous vs nonvenomous snakes, I think it a rather sound one.

What a impolite, unconsiderate, unwarranted comment, Steve-o.
I put him on ignore a long time ago for those reasons. If you're not madly in love with snakes, you need therapy...is his way of thinking.

Old 07-24-2008, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Do they know the difference between a Dachshund and a pitbull? Surely a dog can do far more damage to you than a snake. Should you walk around stating "the only good dog is a dead dog" just because you wont take the time to educate your children about what dogs could possibly harm them? If a stray Rottweiler comes into your yard and could possibly kill your kids and other dogs, would you persecute it, too?

Sure, and that the weiner dog'll probably be the meaner of the two.

Education time means NOTHING to a scared seven year old.

If said stray rotty acts menacingly towards my family/livestock, then by all means, SSS. Snakes don't actually come up with their tongue hanging out and tail wagging do they? Or do they flop over for a belly rub? A bit easier to tell the friendly canines, I suspect.

Not to mention, it's a bit difficult for a stray dog to come inside a fenced property, not so for a snake.

Old 07-24-2008, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlisonL View Post
I put him on ignore a long time ago for those reasons. If you're not madly in love with snakes, you need therapy...is his way of thinking.

Thanks, Alison. Hope NM is still treating you well

Old 07-24-2008, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlisonL View Post
I know you cant read this, but that was quite possibly the biggest overreaction on the face of the earth.

Old 07-24-2008, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Sure, and that the weiner dog'll probably be the meaner of the two.

Education time means NOTHING to a scared seven year old.

If said stray rotty acts menacingly towards my family/livestock, then by all means, SSS. Snakes don't actually come up with their tongue hanging out and tail wagging do they? Or do they flop over for a belly rub? A bit easier to tell the friendly canines, I suspect.

Not to mention, it's a bit difficult for a stray dog to come inside a fenced property, not so for a snake.
Thats the thing... theres nothing to be afraid of, especially if you get to learn and understand snakes. I want you to go to YouTube and Google "herping with Dylan timber rattlesnake". He is actually here in IL and helps explain snakes to people like yourself. He is a professional and knows what he's doing, so please dont have your children mimic his actions, but hopefully you and your kids can see what venomous snakes are all about and why there is no reason to be afraid of them or any other snake. But, if youre like other people on these boards, you probably wont even take the time to look. Trust me, there is nothing worse than a crippling fear of something you dont even need to really be afraid of.

And BTW, yes, snakes do come with their tails wagging and tongues hanging out, especially if theyre rattlesnakes.

And many species of snakes (ie Hognose snakes) do roll over, but only to play dead. You can sit there and rub their smooth bellies allllllll day long if you wanted. Does that sound like something to be afraid of?
http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/learning.../hognose.phtml
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
View detailed profiles of: