Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 07:42 AM

1,753 posts, read 4,260,861 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Why kill ANYTHING? STOP KILLING THINGS AND EDUCATE YOURSELF INSTEAD. Spiders are your friend, they dispatch cockroaches, mosquitos, and even other things you dont like (ie scorpions, etc).

The brown recluse that sent my husband to the hospital for four days, with IV antibiotics and steroids wasn't very friendly

Forgot to check out that link this past weekend..... took a trip to Lowes and two flat carts and two buggies later.... gave 'em all my money so we can get the house spruced up to sell so we can head to NM.

Old 07-28-2008, 09:41 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,553,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
As for the cottonmouth......

Cottonmouth Water Moccasin

This dangerous semi-aquatic snake is truly an aggressive reptile that will stand its ground or even approach an intruder.
That dumb article also goes on to state that the cottonmouth will sit still, open its mouth, and wait for the pursuer to get close enough to bite. Your highlighted sentence sounds more geared towards other snakes, which the cottonmouth will chase away. But humans? Ive never once seen a human being chased by a cottonmouth, thats just not in their nature. I think my video showed that quite clearly. And this fall when I head down to snake road to watch TONS of cottonmouths migrate back to the cliffs for wintering, Ill show you just how aggressive they really are. Ill find one and sit my butt down close to it and watch it just sit there. Is that what it takes to prove my point?

Old 07-28-2008, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblinRoseRanch View Post
The brown recluse that sent my husband to the hospital for four days, with IV antibiotics and steroids wasn't very friendly
What were his symptoms?

I have a 5 year old nephew in Kansas that was bit, was 100% fine. It all depends on the individual, and the majority of recluse bite victims develop absolutely no harmful symptoms whatsoever.

Old 07-28-2008, 02:10 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,925,814 times
Quote:
That dumb article also goes on to state that the cottonmouth will sit still, open its mouth, and wait for the pursuer to get close enough to bite. Your highlighted sentence sounds more geared towards other snakes, which the cottonmouth will chase away. But humans? Ive never once seen a human being chased by a cottonmouth, thats just not in their nature. I think my video showed that quite clearly. And this fall when I head down to snake road to watch TONS of cottonmouths migrate back to the cliffs for wintering, Ill show you just how aggressive they really are. Ill find one and sit my butt down close to it and watch it just sit there. Is that what it takes to prove my point?
Why, certainly, Steve-o, you do just that! And while you're at it....if they are so non-aggressive, why don't you just stick your face in theirs and see what happens?

You're fighting a losing battle trying to get the rest of us to love venomous snakes and spiders as you do.

That you think the rest of us are ignorant is also very irrelevant.

Old 07-28-2008, 03:15 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,926,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pintada Kid View Post
Buy a can of raid ant and roach for 299 and spray under your doors and window sills, dryer vent and where spiders might Congregate and spray once or twice a Month and then you dont have to worry about spiders. Plus you take care of the Ant and Roach problem too. p.s. No thanks needed for this important piece of advice. pintada kid at webtv.net
I found a nice perimeter spray of OrthoMax Home Defense last week has cut the indoor bug population significantly in my home - down to nothing but itty bitty spiders. Took a 4 in centipede to get me to spray, but that was all it took.

Old 07-28-2008, 04:28 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,703,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6/3 View Post
Looks like we need more killer rabbits to control the snakes

YouTube - crazy rabbit vs. snake
And when the rabbits get out of control then who will control them??? Why the chicken police of course

YouTube - Chicken Police?

Old 07-28-2008, 04:34 PM

2,857 posts, read 6,740,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6/3 View Post
And when the rabbits get out of control then who will control them??? Why the chicken police of course

YouTube - Chicken Police?
Nasty job, but someone has to do it. Great find!

Old 07-28-2008, 05:44 PM

550 posts, read 1,552,770 times
Default Cotton Mouth

OK Steve O, you need to get your fact straight on a Western Cotton Mouth vs a Northern water moccasin. The cotton mouth is so dangerous because of it's bad attitude.
Cottonmouth

Last edited by Pipeweld; 07-28-2008 at 05:57 PM..

Old 07-28-2008, 06:43 PM

550 posts, read 1,552,770 times
Thumbs down You don't know..

Quote:
What were his symptoms?

I have a 5 year old nephew in Kansas that was bit, was 100% fine. It all depends on the individual, and the majority of recluse bite victims develop absolutely no harmful symptoms whatsoever.
If you think a brown recluse will leave no symptons you don't know what a brown recluse is either.

WARNING :: Brown Recluse Spider Bite Picture :: GRAPHIC

Old 07-28-2008, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
Why, certainly, Steve-o, you do just that! And while you're at it....if they are so non-aggressive, why don't you just stick your face in theirs and see what happens?
Well duh. If you get right in their face you'll get bit if the snake perceives you as a threat. Any wild animal that feels threatened will bite you, including dogs, cats, birds, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
View detailed profiles of: