Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 07:10 AM

1,763 posts, read 6,005,416 times

Advertisements

You can't overlook the positive role snakes play with rodent control. I think there was a child who dies of hanta virus last year [this year?] near east mountain; more snakes mean less of these disease-carrying rodents.

Although not that many people die of hanta, you don't need to look any further than the bubonic plague in Europe to see the value of snakes - 1/3 of it's population was wiped out because of that disease, spread by rats.

Old 07-25-2008, 07:30 AM

266 posts, read 1,335,151 times
Another thread that serves as a great reminder why I rarely post on this board anymore...

Thanks for the info about snakes, Steve-o, Tim, and others. They belong here, and the attitude some people have about them is pathetic.

Tim, to add to your previous post about coral snakes, there's a good little saying regarding identifying them through their markings. "If red touches yellow, it can harm a fellow. If red touches black, it's ok for Jack."

Old 07-25-2008, 07:49 AM

1,753 posts, read 4,257,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Thats the thing... theres nothing to be afraid of, especially if you get to learn and understand snakes. I want you to go to YouTube and Google "herping with Dylan timber rattlesnake". He is actually here in IL and helps explain snakes to people like yourself. He is a professional and knows what he's doing, so please dont have your children mimic his actions, but hopefully you and your kids can see what venomous snakes are all about and why there is no reason to be afraid of them or any other snake. But, if youre like other people on these boards, you probably wont even take the time to look. Trust me, there is nothing worse than a crippling fear of something you dont even need to really be afraid of.

And BTW, yes, snakes do come with their tails wagging and tongues hanging out, especially if theyre rattlesnakes.

And many species of snakes (ie Hognose snakes) do roll over, but only to play dead. You can sit there and rub their smooth bellies allllllll day long if you wanted. Does that sound like something to be afraid of?
http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/learning.../hognose.phtml
I'll have to check it out at home, no speakers on the system here at work.. videos lose a lot in translation.

Ya know what? I think i'll pass on the belly rubs, lol.

Old 07-25-2008, 08:07 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,674,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pintada Kid View Post
Any Snake can infect you with a Bite whether its Poisonous or not. pintada kid at webtv.net
What about the Red Racers ?? Are they or are they not in the east mountains as you said you have seen them.

Old 07-25-2008, 08:19 AM

2,542 posts, read 6,928,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblinRoseRanch View Post
Well, considering I have children, large and small animals that don't know how to check for venomous vs nonvenomous snakes, I think it a rather sound one.

I've taught my son to stay away from all snakes. I told him if he sees one in the yard, to come get me (also if it is close to him, to back away slowly and not yell). I've tried to stress the need to look down while hiking, but that he doesn't have to be afraid of snakes--we just have to be respectful, which includes staying far, far away.

Old 07-25-2008, 09:25 AM

717 posts, read 1,957,398 times
Many animals can infect you with a bite Pinatakid, including the HUMAN animal, whose bite is second only to the domestic cats' for its infectious qualities...I should know as I'm living with the results of a cat bite that has partially paralyzed my right hand! Human bites can be far worse than non poisonous snake bites my friend and cat bites are worse yet! Your apparently profound fear of snakes has given you irrational arguments for hating and killing them when in fact they are far less deleterious to the world at large than man is by many orders of magnitude. Would you rather be over run with plague bearing rats that snakes so ably control??? Snakes occupy a balanced niche in nature's pantheon whereas man and his tremendous depredations are way out of check. I teach my kids to respect all of nature and to be aware of potential...occasional...risks but I emphasize that humanity poses by far the greatest hazard to the stability and integrity of this planet. Very few people act responsibly and as informed stewards of this miracle planet. If you must vent your spleen then direct it at appropriate targets that damage this world we all must somehow share. Learn more, educate yourselves and elevate this discourse. Snakes are no great shucks at all. Such ridiculous prejudice and lack of understanding.

Last edited by dracul; 07-25-2008 at 10:25 AM.. Reason: Cat bite makes all submissions laborious at best

Old 07-25-2008, 10:10 AM

9,384 posts, read 20,859,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domino View Post
I have to agree with Steve-O. If you don't like snakes avoid areas where you may come in contact with them . . . no need to kill them.
I also agree with Steve-o in this case. I guess I am turning into a softee.

Old 07-25-2008, 12:38 PM

1,763 posts, read 6,005,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyJ View Post
Tim, to add to your previous post about coral snakes, there's a good little saying regarding identifying them through their markings. "If red touches yellow, it can harm a fellow. If red touches black, it's ok for Jack."
Thanks Andy. I have yet to see one in the wild, but I will be ready when I do!

Old 07-25-2008, 07:46 PM

550 posts, read 1,551,853 times
Thumbs up One more for the road!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyJ View Post
Another thread that serves as a great reminder why I rarely post on this board anymore...

Thanks for the info about snakes, Steve-o, Tim, and others. They belong here, and the attitude some people have about them is pathetic.

My Grandmom always said ' Red and yellow kill a fellow, red and black venom lack'

Old 07-26-2008, 12:15 AM

717 posts, read 1,957,398 times
I'm hardly a "city slicker" kid. I've lived in natural surroundings most of my life in conditions that might send you running pal! I was raised among Hawaiian and "local" kids who enjoyed beating me senseless because my skin color was not the same as theirs...so I learned KOGA and Tai Kwon Do and started lifting weights like you cannot possibly imagine. I slowly built myself from a skinny kid into a 310 pound muscle boy able to survive and hold my own among my relentless adversaries. Once I hit about 250 solid pounds pretty much everyone backed off for good actually.

As far as living "au naturel" is concerned I've lived always close to or in natural surroundings...that's why living in this city as I have for the last few years is so alien to me. Before I lived in Hawai'i my family resided in rural Colorado and my father required my brother and I to become acquainted with guns and the wild when we were very young. I've had guns of many types all my life and I recently qualified expert with my S&W .44 Magnum! In Hawai'i things were rough. We had little money so we lived in poorer neighborhoods which meant I had to learn how to fight and to grow stronger which I did in spades. I've night dived for lobster and Ulua among reef and tiger sharks fella. I spent as much time in the water as out of it when I was a teen, diving and surfing. I've hunted pua'a (huge jungle pigs) with pikes (short spears) and my beloved pit bulls. I lived off power for five years in a heavy rain forest (Ainaloa on the Big Island) while I attended the University of Hawai'i studying by candle light and gathering my drinking water from my rain barrels (I graduated in the top 5% of my class with a 4.0 average: Highest Honors Graduate in Anthropology). I've been bit, hit, stung and slashed by many creatures over the years and have gone toe to toe with huge Samoans and other powerful "local boyz" when I was a cop and corrections officer. I've owned a very rowdy bar, as well, where fights were nearly a daily occurrence Pinatakid. I was owner and chief bouncer my boy. I've cracked many heads in my day and have had mine cracked as well. I've been "Monster" Big Island, Rocky Mountain and Colorado arm wrestling champion several times with only one defeat in my career. I've been a competitive power lifter (benching over 540 pounds and leg pressing 1,500 pounds for 10 reps) and a bodybuilder (lowering my lean body weight to a ripped 238 pounds from over 300)...so I've walked the walk fella. Anything you've done in life or nature I can easily match or surpass I'm quite certain. At 58 I can still out work most 20 year olds in the several gyms I regularly frequent. How many guys at my age do you know with 22 1/2" arms and who can bench press 400 pounds for 10 reps??? None I'll bet. As Mark Twain once said: "If you can do it it aint bragging!" I CAN DO IT buddy...and I'm less a "city slicker" than you probably are to boot.

Last edited by dracul; 07-26-2008 at 12:44 AM.. Reason: Nature boy who likes snakes and sharks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
View detailed profiles of: