Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 05:35 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,416,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkey View Post
When I was twelve I was attacked and bitten numerous times on the feet and ankles by four water mocassins. They came out of the creek and attacked me. I wasn't poking them, disturbing the stream they were in, nothing. They had to come several feet out of the water to get me, they were incredibly fast.
Were you taken to the hospital? Were the snakes positively ID'd (by someone who knows snakes) as cottonmouths? Watersnakes are notorious for being quite defensive (Nerodia spp), way more so than cottonmouths. If you were 12, and had multiple bites from 4 (!!!!) cottonmouths, you would have spent several days in the ER, taking MANY vials of anti-venin.

Old 07-30-2008, 08:15 AM

1,753 posts, read 4,252,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
What were his symptoms?

I have a 5 year old nephew in Kansas that was bit, was 100% fine. It all depends on the individual, and the majority of recluse bite victims develop absolutely no harmful symptoms whatsoever.
It was on the back of one thigh and resembled a boil in looks. The area became raised, hot and swollen. The pain and swelling radiated to the rest of his upper leg, making pants impossible, and shorts the uniform of the day. The center turned necrotic. We went, on the advice of a friend, to UT hospital, as we still assumed it was a boil or something until he saw it. We were thinking they'd lance, write a script and we'd be home. Nope.

Four days with IVs and since UT is a teaching hospital, multiple student visits. Apparently it was such a rare thing in these parts that several doctors had never seen one in person, so we had lots of visits from them as well.

Skin grafts were discussed, although he never needed them. Eventually the site healed and left an indentation with a hard knot in the center. Within a few months, a smaller knot popped up right next to the site, but no other reaction.

Glad your nephew was okay.

Old 07-30-2008, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblinRoseRanch View Post
It was on the back of one thigh and resembled a boil in looks. The area became raised, hot and swollen. The pain and swelling radiated to the rest of his upper leg, making pants impossible, and shorts the uniform of the day. The center turned necrotic. We went, on the advice of a friend, to UT hospital, as we still assumed it was a boil or something until he saw it. We were thinking they'd lance, write a script and we'd be home. Nope.

Four days with IVs and since UT is a teaching hospital, multiple student visits. Apparently it was such a rare thing in these parts that several doctors had never seen one in person, so we had lots of visits from them as well.

Skin grafts were discussed, although he never needed them. Eventually the site healed and left an indentation with a hard knot in the center. Within a few months, a smaller knot popped up right next to the site, but no other reaction.

Glad your nephew was okay.
Could definitely be a recluse bite, but theyre very rare in your parts. Does he have any severe allergic reactions to paints? Latex? Anything of those sorts? Glad to hear he is okay also.

Old 07-30-2008, 12:34 PM

Nope, no allergies, other than penicillan.

It was surmised that the spider came in on a fresh load of lumber. They were expanding the office park he was in at that point. His office had exterior access and they were building right next door. He said he felt a pinch when he sat down at his desk one day and assume he had just somehow pinched it on the chair.

Old 07-30-2008, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Nope, no allergies, other than penicillan.

It was surmised that the spider came in on a fresh load of lumber. They were expanding the office park he was in at that point. His office had exterior access and they were building right next door. He said he felt a pinch when he sat down at his desk one day and assume he had just somehow pinched it on the chair.
Youre in UT, correct?

Old 07-31-2008, 07:56 AM

No, I'm in Tennessee. UT is University of Tennessee. :-)

Old 07-31-2008, 09:19 AM

Quote:
No, I'm in Tennessee. UT is University of Tennessee. :-)
Ahhhh, the whole time Im thinking your DH got bit by a desert recluse species (Loxoceles deserta).

Old 07-31-2008, 02:21 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,636,274 times
One thing i think we all learned from this long thread is that steve-o and pintada kid do not see eye to eye when it comes to snakes .

Old 07-31-2008, 02:32 PM

576 posts, read 2,308,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6/3 View Post
One thing i think we all learned from this long thread is that steve-o and pintada kid do not see eye to eye when it comes to snakes .

Great way to sum it up, Harry! Does this mean we're at the end of this seemingly endless and contentious thread?

~clairz

Old 07-31-2008, 02:43 PM

3,011 posts, read 10,031,434 times
Nope, the end is not in sight yet.

I just got back from my vacation ... and have spent a long time reading the comments on this thread. If I had been here days ago, I would have warned everyone to refrain from personal attacks and namecalling, but the thread seems to have overcome that little violation of the rules and gone on harmlessly (nonvenomously). So bravo for you all!

Here is my two cents: I had two friends in Kansas who were bitten by brown recluse spiders. I do not know if they took the dead spider carcass to the doctor for positive ID .... but that was the doctor's diagnosis. Both of these friends suffered a great deal and the bites took MONTHS to heal. One of the women had to have surgery ... and the wound drained for weeks. I had to do her daily dressing changes, which were a very painful ordeal for her. Sorry, but if I even SUSPECTED any insect or snake were dangerous to me and my pets, they would be DEAD.

I have a question for Pintada Kid: Is rattlesnake meat delicious? I have heard it is and have always wanted to try it.

Last edited by Towanda; 07-31-2008 at 03:55 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
View detailed profiles of: