Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2010, 10:38 AM

7,399 posts, read 19,374,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by afdude2018 View Post
I've lived here since December and still have not found my way up to Cloudcroft.
Take a turn on hwy. 82 and go about 18 miles and that takes you into Cloudcroft.
It's a nice drive and the temp. changes are huge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2010, 11:50 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,914,769 times
RE: Border Patrol shooting of 15-year-old thug.....you can certainly tell where the Alamogordo Daily News's sympathies lie. They published an article about it, along with a big picture and caption of the boy's father crying over his son's casket in Juarez.

At least they refrained from putting it on the front page. I'm surprised that they didn't. The whole photo thing looks very staged, to milk the incident for everything they (Mexico) can get out of it.

Sorry if my cynicism is showing, but this whole thing just stinks. The teenager (if he really was a teenager) already had a record, and was no innocent angel, despite what the family would have you think.

Old 06-11-2010, 11:51 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,914,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by songinthewind7 View Post
Take a turn on hwy. 82 and go about 18 miles and that takes you into Cloudcroft.
They are, aren't they? I'll be so GLAD when June is OVER.

Old 06-11-2010, 01:23 PM

2,140 posts, read 6,482,962 times
Hay report:

2 string nice timothy/grass hay (from CO) delivered and stacked, cash price: 10.25 a bale

2 string nice local alfalfa, first cutting, delivered and stacked: 5.50 bale.

Old 06-12-2010, 12:32 PM

259 posts, read 852,414 times
Wish there was a major airport closer to Alamo than El Paso. Woke up at 4am to take my wife down to El Paso. This is the farthest I've lived from a major airport.

Also just got a text from her saying her Chicago to Harrisburg flight was cancelled...at least she got a later flight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by songinthewind7 View Post
One of these days I'm going to go have some fun driving some trails in the mountains. Did it in the Black Hills of South Dakota.

Old 06-12-2010, 01:57 PM

7,399 posts, read 19,374,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
RE: Border Patrol shooting of 15-year-old thug.....you can certainly tell where the Alamogordo Daily News's sympathies lie. They published an article about it, along with a big picture and caption of the boy's father crying over his son's casket in Juarez.

At least they refrained from putting it on the front page. I'm surprised that they didn't. The whole photo thing looks very staged, to milk the incident for everything they (Mexico) can get out of it.

Sorry if my cynicism is showing, but this whole thing just stinks. The teenager (if he really was a teenager) already had a record, and was no innocent angel, despite what the family would have you think.
Yay, another bad person down.

Old 06-12-2010, 04:40 PM

1,643 posts, read 4,926,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afdude2018 View Post
Wish there was a major airport closer to Alamo than El Paso. Woke up at 4am to take my wife down to El Paso.
I don't know the schedule, but there is a shuttle van that runs between Alamo and the EP airport on a daily basis. Cost is reasonable.

Old 06-18-2010, 08:23 AM

Speaking of airports, the one at Ruidoso claimed five more lives yesterday, and possibly a couple more if they succumb to their injuries. The plain designed for six people had seven aboard and came down in rough terrain about a half mile short of the runway it was trying to land on.

It was three years ago that another plane crashed on takeoff with the loss of five lives, and that one was made even more tragic because it was a "life flight" flying a child and mother to medical care. All on board died including at least one medical attendant.

Old 06-18-2010, 08:48 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,900,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxart View Post
The plain designed for six people had seven aboard and came down
The Cessna 310 early models of the plane held 4 people and later models grew to hold about 7 passengers, depending on model, STC's, configuration and a few other factors. I have not seen the actual model. The Cessna 310 was also operated under a few different military versions.

My prayers are with all the victums involved.

Rich

Old 06-18-2010, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Flight Instructor
Santa Fe, NM

As a New Mexico flight instructor, I say this was a senseless tragedy that should never have happened. This "pilot," which is a stretch of a title, loaded a plane with 6 other trusting souls in a plane built with six TOTAL seats and seatbelts. Completely irresponsible and illegal. I speculate, having taught flying for 25 years and read hundreds of accident reports, that the plane was likely tail-heavy. The plane had only been registered to this man for 15 mos. A flatlander was operating an unforgiving, overloaded aircraft at a high-elevation airport. A classic "stall-spin" accident, by the sounds of it.

Shame, shame, shame. He had no right to take these family's trust and turn it to dust. Bozo.
I have known other pilots who told me how dangerous it is to land at high elevation airports without plenty of experience doing so.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico