Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 04:15 PM

366 posts, read 869,797 times

Advertisements

3. Sell it to people who don't have an id at twice the cost?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2011, 06:57 PM

71 posts, read 260,797 times
loborick said:

Quote:
This is total overkill. Are you going to print this out and show it to a clerk next time you're carded? What's the big deal?
You have to step back from how you're used to functioning within the community just a bit in order to appreciate how the law is being distorted. There's a disconnect between what the law requires (ask those suspected of being minors for ID) and what unconcerned people, who don't care about this actually being an interesting social issue, along with business owners who are responsible for creating a NEW requirement as if it is a law (ask every single person for ID regardless of how old they look). The sole intention of the licensees is to protect themselves by preventing fines or loss of license.

There's no "overkill" in this evaluation, and apparently, I can see the detailed explanations above are more important than I thought. It goes to show you that being educated about the law doesn't necessarily get you anywhere. I'm wondering if I was Lieutenant Garcia from the Department of Public Safety would people be resisting what I'm saying so much! He doesn't disagree with me.

And THIS, loborick said:

Quote:
Bummer. No ID, no alcohol. That's the way it goes. No wonder he's so grouchy.
--This is completely uncalled for if people are interested in having an educated discussion on this.

Last edited by Aero; 02-07-2011 at 07:22 PM..

Old 02-07-2011, 07:53 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,802,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aero View Post
--This is completely uncalled for if people are interested in having an educated discussion on this.
How many times are you going to try and beat us into your way of thinking? Whose mind are you trying to change?

Life is too short and precious to be fretting over you not being able to buy alcohol when all you had for ID was an expired passport.

There is nothing else to discuss...

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 04-22-2014 at 09:00 AM..

Old 02-14-2011, 09:47 AM

1 posts, read 1,880 times
I was recently asked for a valild drivers license when buying wine at WalMart. I'm 65, look no where near 21. I refused and said I was obviously over 21. The clerk refused to sell it to me until she could verify that my drivers license was valid????? I haven't been carded for 30 years. The manager said the law requires them to be sure the drivers license is valid. Really???

Old 02-14-2011, 12:10 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,802,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mberes View Post
I was recently asked for a valild drivers license when buying wine at WalMart. I'm 65, look no where near 21. I refused and said I was obviously over 21. The clerk refused to sell it to me until she could verify that my drivers license was valid????? I haven't been carded for 30 years. The manager said the law requires them to be sure the drivers license is valid. Really???
1. Did you read this entire thread?

2. I do not believe the "law requires them to be sure the drivers license is valid". But the store has every right to ask for a valid ID. What good is an invalid ID? They also have a right to refuse to sell anyone alcohol.

3. Go to google.com and search for the phrase walmart ID alcohol policy there is over 100,000 hits.... Not just from New Mexico...

Rich

Old 02-14-2011, 04:00 PM

3,061 posts, read 8,367,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mberes View Post
The same thing can happen in other states. Maine is one. I worked at a small store and we could card anyone just to save our butts. Even a 90 yr old man or woman.

I don't understand why people get so upset. I kind of like being carded....makes me feel young.

Old 02-16-2011, 12:30 PM

116 posts, read 251,348 times
I don't see the big deal. My question for u is have u ever worked in retail. And here in new Mexico u have to take a class to sell beer and liquor. Ppl do need to use common sense but with all the stuff that can happento the store and a cashier. 1 not only does the store gets fined so does the cashier. 2 the cashier can go to jail. 3 cashier will loose their job if they sell to a minor. And if u don't have a valid I'd no can do so I really don't see th3 big deal of having to pulling out an id

Old 04-29-2011, 05:55 PM

1 posts, read 1,738 times
Default Albuquerque police created this (law?)

As far as I can tell, the Albuquerque police created this local law requiring everyone to show an ID around the beginning of 2010. That's when all the bars started saying everyone had to show a valid ID, because the police told them they had to ask for ID from everyone.
Even the police are restrained from unlawful searches (according to the Bill of Rights) , but we know the police don't follow that law, and now the bartenders are following suit.
Living in a fear-based society is like that!

Old 04-30-2011, 02:14 PM

713 posts, read 1,846,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roderunner View Post
As far as I can tell, the Albuquerque police created this local law requiring everyone to show an ID around the beginning of 2010. That's when all the bars started saying everyone had to show a valid ID, because the police told them they had to ask for ID from everyone.
Even the police are restrained from unlawful searches (according to the Bill of Rights) , but we know the police don't follow that law, and now the bartenders are following suit.
Living in a fear-based society is like that!
The Albuquerque police didn't "create" this law. The card everyone in Santa Fe also. It is the business practice. My daughter is a bartender and they card everyone. It's CYA. It's not a law anywhere.

Old 05-02-2011, 07:43 AM

4 posts, read 29,623 times
AlisonL wrote:

Quote:
"I worked at a small store and we could card anyone just to save our butts. Even a 90 yr old man or woman."
--and given there is no way in hell that a 90 year old could EVER possibly look in doubt of being over the age of 21, and given not asking the 90 year old for an ID would violate no law whatsoever, where is the need to "save our butts?" What do you think you have to save yourself from? If you worked for a store where management required you to ask every single individual for a valid ID, and the management fired you because you did not ask the 90 year old person for an ID, it would be the most unreasonable reason to be fired that I can think of. There is no violation of the law to not ask someone for an ID. The violation occurs when you sell to a minor, and as written in the state statute, when a person is suspected of being a minor, and this person is asked for an ID and cannot produce it, the person will be denied the sale. That's the law. However, some stores have decided the law is not enough. They have created store policies that go one notch above the law, even to the point of being disrespectful to customers in the form of, for example (apparently), not allowing a 90 year old to purchase alcoholic beverages unless showing a valid ID.

I was just in Smiths yesterday, and I kid you not about what happened to me. As I was standing at the self-checkout waiting to be cleared for a bottle of wine, the cashier asked me, "Do you have your ID?" I said, "Yes." When she looked at my NM State ID I said, "Here's my birthdate." The year says 1969. She said, "Does this expire? Because I need to see something valid." I said, "But that's my birthdate." She said, "Yeah, I mean, I know you're over 21." I said, "Yes, that's supposed to be the whole point, right?" She says, "Yeah, but I still need to see something valid." I finally said, "Just put it back." Mind you, when the ID was valid, that was my birthdate. When the ID became invalid this year, it's obviously still my birthdate. What you see happening here is a rigid authoritarian enforcement of corporate protocol that has nothing to do with reason or the law. If I tried to reason with the management at Smiths or complain about being given the hassle, they would only pat their employee on the shoulder. "Good job!" Doesn't really matter to me much anyway because there's plenty of other places in town that won't ask me for an ID. Smith's just lost a sale because of their own stupid policy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico