Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2014, 09:24 AM

2 posts, read 4,920 times

Advertisements

People can get a DUI with or without a license or ID....even if you sell alcohol to someone who shows you an ID they can still get drunk and start driving later to get more liquor...so how is not selling to somone who is obviously not under 21 or not possessing their ID at the time going to help solve "a bigger problem"....that's such a ridiculous argument....plus the store loses money in lost sales...yeah that's good business....I like it when I get those sales slips that direct to a website survey...then I get to tell them how stupid they are...and annoying as hell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2014, 09:44 AM

2 posts, read 4,920 times
Default YAY for wine on an early Sunday morning...

LOL...I like just making my lazy day in bed just that much warmer and cozier...a glass of wine does that and then I just doze off again...no worries...I feel it's justified cuz I work hard all week and on week days I hardly get any sleep...

Old 05-19-2014, 06:49 PM

3,491 posts, read 6,978,654 times
Default Any safe places that will serve me a beer in Carlsbad and Alamogordo?

Hello, I am of legal drinking age and I have the under 21 Texas ID still because it has not expired yet.I need to know of good safe restaurants that will serve me in Carlsbad and Alamogordo.I am thinking of Pepper's in Alamogordo but idk if they will serve me. I have had two places in New Mexico that refused to give me a drink on previous trips due to my ID.Thanks in advance.

Old 05-20-2014, 07:10 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,414,824 times
Probably better off calling ahead, I always thought NM was pretty poor with is practices when it comes to beer.

Old 05-20-2014, 07:55 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,883,329 times
New Mexico gets downright weird at times.

I was carded every time I bought anything anywhere in NM--be it beer, wine or tequila. I'm very obviously over 50 years old with a head full of white hair.

But I never had any problems at restaurants, ordering wine or beer with my meal. But if I were to guess, you probably would--with the combination of the license and youth!

I even got carded for buying a package of Bic lighters for candles!

I haven't been asked for ID in TX since I was 27 years old, so I found it really strange to be asked for it every time in NM!

Old 05-20-2014, 08:33 AM

502 posts, read 1,380,694 times
While it is legal to sell alcohol to someone with an under 21 ID but a birth date showing they are now legal, most places won't!
I've seen several places that have it posted as such.

Old 05-20-2014, 09:05 AM

1,152 posts, read 1,278,823 times
I was in line behind a guy in a Walgreens that had to be 80 years old. Clerk carded him! He was so surprised he had trouble finding his license. The older I get, the stupider the world seems to appear.

It all comes down to company policy and how stupid the manager wants to be about it. In general, chain stores and restaurants seem more likely to have strict policies and a disinclination to trust servers'/clerks' judgement.

OP, get a new license and save yourself the hassle. You'll get enough unavoidable aggravation in life without having to put up with that which you can avoid.

Old 05-20-2014, 09:13 AM

1,992 posts, read 4,063,346 times
It's not stupid to card everyone. It is easier to have one policy and safer to protect your investment. A liquor license in NM is very expensive. $250k +. That is a lot of money to have tied up in a license and take the chance of it being pulled by the state.

Old 05-20-2014, 09:13 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,505,022 times
Walgreen's is really stupid in Alamogordo as to carding people. Westerntraveler - there's a pub (pretty much the only one in Alamogordo) that serves liquor located just next to Wal*Mart that would no doubt serve you. I'm not a drinker but our son is and he went there all the time. He had a New Hampshire ID, too, and they served him.

Old 05-20-2014, 10:46 AM

1,043 posts, read 1,453,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMHacker View Post
It's not stupid to card everyone. It is easier to have one policy and safer to protect your investment. A liquor license in NM is very expensive. $250k +. That is a lot of money to have tied up in a license and take the chance of it being pulled by the state.
There's also a real incentive for the server. NM law can hold servers *personally* liable if they sell booze to someone who's underage or already intoxicated. That includes both criminal charges and civil suits should an intoxicated person get involved in a fatal accident. In other words, both server and business are highly motivated to follow the law to its letter.

A friend who works for the State Department of Health's alcoholism and DUI division recently told me that part of the reason for carding everyone is that it offers a quick way to see if someone's already drunk...if they struggle to fumble their ID out of their wallet, no more beers for them.

As for the original question, quite a few places in NM refuse to accept underage IDs for the reasons outlined above. You're probably better off getting yourself a current ID as soon as you possibly can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico