Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who will pull it off, In the republican primary.
Doug Turner 5 21.74%
Susana Martinez 11 47.83%
Allen Weh 3 13.04%
Pete Domenici 3 13.04%
Janice Arnold-Jones 1 4.35%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 10:37 AM

1,732 posts, read 4,449,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towanda View Post
I didn't live here then ....

but isn't Gary Johnson a libertarian?
He's officially a Republican. His philosophies tend more towards Libertarian, but he's not stupid enough to try for the presidential race in 2012 as a third party candidate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2010, 02:43 PM

3,011 posts, read 10,026,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karmathecat View Post
He's officially a Republican. His philosophies tend more towards Libertarian, but he's not stupid enough to try for the presidential race in 2012 as a third party candidate.
I know that he is a Republican.

But I wasn't talking about his political party. I was talking about his political philosophy.

I was responding to Bradly's comment that a Libertarian will never hold elective office in this state. I guess he meant a member of the Libertarian Party.

Old 05-27-2010, 10:27 AM

741 posts, read 2,922,778 times
Looks like Martinez may be pulling away (http://www.kob.com/article/stories/S1578590.shtml?cat=513 - broken link). If her lead continues to hold, NM will be virtually assured to have its first female governor.

Chap

Old 05-27-2010, 03:08 PM

529 posts, read 1,325,692 times
I like both candidates because they are native New Mexicans. I'm voting for Susana though!

Old 05-27-2010, 04:07 PM

For anyone who is interested, all five of the GOP candidates will meet in a debate tonight on KOB-TV at 7:00 p.m.

Should be interesting ....

Old 05-28-2010, 07:27 AM

5,022 posts, read 7,407,431 times
Did anybody else see the debate last night? It was the first (and last) chance I had to see and hear them all. I'm a Democrat who was hoping to find someone who could bring positive change to Santa Fe but the selection I saw last night left me uninspired. Quantity but not quality. Here's my summary:

Domenici: Looked like someone they dragged off the street. Poor speaker; obviously he has nothing going for him but the family name.

Weh: Victimizing over Martinez' negative ad campaign. That's politics. We don't need a victim.

Arnold-Jones: Probably the most comfortable one in front of an audience but didn't make a strong impression until she started ragging on Obama (as did some of the others), it doesn't bode well for the state to be an adversary of the President before day one as Governor.

Turner: The one you might want to have a beer with, but forgettable. The only thing I will remember about him is that he has a 3-year-old and his dog has arthritis.

Martinez: This woman can peel the paint off the walls by staring at it. Never cracked a smile. Lighten up! Would she "go postal" in the RoundHouse? If this is the front-runner I'm really worried she'll melt down the whole state if elected.

I felt bad for the RailRunner. Obviously the anti-RailRunner position will be popular outside the Belen-Santa Fe corridor. I would have asked the two businessmen among the candidates how they would make the RailRunner a success, if it was a business. Sounds like they'd just close up shop if given the chance. Doesn't speak well to their business skill.

And note to candidates: Obama didn't invent illegal immigration. Why weren't you telling Bush to "do your job!" on illegal immigration during his 8 years in office? That's when most of the 15 million or so entered the country.

Old 05-28-2010, 08:06 AM

I have met and spoken to Susana Martinez on numerous occasions.

She smiles, she laughs, she is easy to talk to.

But none of that is particularly important to me.

What matters is her record. She has had a long career as a very successful prosecutor in Doña Ana county with bipartisan support, she is not afraid of the establishment, and she already has proven she can fight corruption and fight illegal immigration issues.

I have never seen anything about her that would indicate she would "go postal" at the capitol. (That is rather insulting....)

How do you know none of these candidates ever said anything about President Bush's immigration policy? I am a Republican and I certainly did, as did countless other Republicans. The question they were asked was - what would be their message to President OBAMA about illegal immigration. That was what they were answering.

Old 05-28-2010, 08:25 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,754,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
Did anybody else see the debate last night?
Yes I saw it. I agree with about half of your summary but am not getting into a long discussion at least not at the moment.

Yes, I was a bit disappointed with the speakers.

I spoke with Allen Weh for a few moments last year in a small group. It did not appear to be the same Weh...

Susana Martinez has a good solid record. She is a fighter.

I might research Janice Arnold-Jones a bit more, primarily out of curiosity.

On the other side, I am a bit nervous about Diane Denish who is unopposed in the Democratic primary. I see what would be business as usual.

Rich

Old 05-28-2010, 09:21 AM

5,022 posts, read 7,407,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towanda View Post
I have met and spoken to Susana Martinez on numerous occasions.

She smiles, she laughs, she is easy to talk to.

But none of that is particularly important to me.

What matters is her record. She has had a long career as a very successful prosecutor in Doña Ana county with bipartisan support, she is not afraid of the establishment, and she already has proven she can fight corruption and fight illegal immigration issues.

I have never seen anything about her that would indicate she would "go postal" at the capitol. (That is rather insulting....)

How do you know none of these candidates ever said anything about President Bush's immigration policy? I am a Republican and I certainly did, as did countless other Republicans. The question they were asked was - what would be their message to President OBAMA about illegal immigration. That was what they were answering.
Good points, Towanda. I hope you are right about Susana. I was sharing my first impression of her since she was completely unknown to me, she seemed totally deadpan and humorless, perhaps it was a case of nerves. I don't want to attach too much importance to her demeanor but many voters do look for someone who seems more personable than she gave evidence of last night.

I can see where the campaign is going if she wins the primary. She won't mention Denish without also mentioning Richardson in the same breath ("the Richardson-Denish administration"), and will use the politics of fear over illegal immigration to her advantage. She will hammer away at the "Mexicans-are-just-waiting-to-cross-the-border-to-hurt-us-and-kill-our-children" kind of fear tactic as she did a few times last night. Unfortunately she talked several times about that but when it came to the most pressing issue of the economy she referred us to her website and said "government can't create jobs."

Meanwhile the Denish campaign will continue to point out that Susana accepted plea bargains from over a thousand felony DWI offenders since 2004 when she promised never to plea bargain a DWI case. If I had ten or twenty DWI's under my belt I would definitely be plugging for Susana. Is that your idea of a "successful prosecutor"?

Old 05-28-2010, 10:37 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,702,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
Did anybody else see the debate last night? It was the first (and last) chance I had to see and hear them all. I'm a Democrat who was hoping to find someone who could bring positive change to Santa Fe but the selection I saw last night left me uninspired. Quantity but not quality. Here's my summary:

Domenici: Looked like someone they dragged off the street. Poor speaker; obviously he has nothing going for him but the family name.

Weh: Victimizing over Martinez' negative ad campaign. That's politics. We don't need a victim.

Arnold-Jones: Probably the most comfortable one in front of an audience but didn't make a strong impression until she started ragging on Obama (as did some of the others), it doesn't bode well for the state to be an adversary of the President before day one as Governor.

Turner: The one you might want to have a beer with, but forgettable. The only thing I will remember about him is that he has a 3-year-old and his dog has arthritis.

Martinez: This woman can peel the paint off the walls by staring at it. Never cracked a smile. Lighten up! Would she "go postal" in the RoundHouse? If this is the front-runner I'm really worried she'll melt down the whole state if elected.

I felt bad for the RailRunner. Obviously the anti-RailRunner position will be popular outside the Belen-Santa Fe corridor. I would have asked the two businessmen among the candidates how they would make the RailRunner a success, if it was a business. Sounds like they'd just close up shop if given the chance. Doesn't speak well to their business skill.

And note to candidates: Obama didn't invent illegal immigration. Why weren't you telling Bush to "do your job!" on illegal immigration during his 8 years in office? That's when most of the 15 million or so entered the country.
of course not living in NM anymore I probably shouldn't even be posting, but I am still interested in what happens in the state.

You said it yourself, you are a democrat and I am sure you are looking for the negative more than the positive. This isn't meant as an insult, I would do the same on the otherside, most of us would.

As for going after Obama on the illegal situation there are 2 reasons: 1-it has just reached a point when people are saying "NO MORE" The other reason, Obama was going to address the issues like he was going to address everything and people are remembering what he said. No the majority didn't really enter the country during any one particular 8 year period, but have been doing this slowly but surely for decades. As for not being furious about the issue during the Bush days, actually most of us were.

NIta
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico