Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who will pull it off, In the republican primary.
Doug Turner 5 21.74%
Susana Martinez 11 47.83%
Allen Weh 3 13.04%
Pete Domenici 3 13.04%
Janice Arnold-Jones 1 4.35%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2010, 10:51 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,815,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
As for going after Obama on the illegal situation
You didn't get to see it nmnita, that was a specific question asked by the panel.

Rich
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2010, 10:55 AM

741 posts, read 2,924,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
I felt bad for the RailRunner... I would have asked the two businessmen among the candidates how they would make the RailRunner a success, if it was a business.
That would have been an excellent question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
Sounds like they'd just close up shop if given the chance. Doesn't speak well to their business skill.
I would actually disagree with this statement. If they weighed all the tangible and intangible pros and cons of the RailRunner and determined, according to their business acumen, that its continued existence was no longer justified, then I would say that would speak very well of their business skills. You don't become a successful businessman by throwing good money after bad.

Chap

Old 05-28-2010, 11:01 AM

1,938 posts, read 4,753,333 times
I'd hate to see Railrunner go on general principle, but I agree with Chap. If it's unsustainable,
not just unprofitable, then best to cut it as soon as possible.

Old 05-28-2010, 11:34 AM

741 posts, read 2,924,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Horrell View Post
I'd hate to see Railrunner go on general principle, but I agree with Chap. If it's unsustainable,
My thoughts exactly.

The sustainability question is one that is key, as I don't think there is a commuter rail line on the planet that is profitable/self-sufficient. (Mort?)

And I don't doubt that the RR can be sustained long term. But it then becomes a question of whether the general population (particularly those that do not benefit from the RR directly) is willing to sustain it.

Chap

Old 05-28-2010, 12:33 PM

5,052 posts, read 7,436,166 times
I think by definition if it is unsustainable then it will be shut down. But judging from some of the comments last night about how the RailRunner was created just to prop up Richardson's ego, I got the feeling that some candidates were itching to close it down out of spite (ungenerous of me, perhaps).

Personally I think the RailRunner is a great asset. I'm sure there are a lot of people who have come to depend on it, and maybe even made housing choices based on the expectation that the service would continue. There was even talk of extending the service to Denver (and El Paso?), wasn't there? With population growing I can only think that ridership will increase. It would be awful to take a step backward now and pull the plug. But I know the whole project was conceived in better economic times.

Old 05-29-2010, 09:01 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,875,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Horrell View Post
are most transport businesses like the Railrunner supported largely by the government?
I often think of them as a conveniece and one that will attract people to a community becasue commuting is easier. Just my thoughts, but what do I know? By the way I was excited when they came to Belen.
Nita

Old 05-29-2010, 09:58 AM

1,938 posts, read 4,753,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
are most transport businesses like the Railrunner supported largely by the government?
Nita
I think so; either directly through fees and bond issues as well as indirectly
through direct maintenance, tax relief and general transportation subsidies.

Aside from some toll roads, I doubt that any form of public service type transportation
is ever completely self-financing which is why I emphasized sustainability. I don't
expect the US interstate highway system to be self-financing and I support the
now six decade-long federal investment in it because it is so beneficial to the country
as a whole that whatever it takes to sustain it is enormously justified. I'm just
not sure that Railrunner's benefits to the New Mexico community as a whole will
justify underwriting it for decades.

I really support the concept, but at some point a few years from now we'll have to
seriously evaluate it to decide if it's worth continuing.

Last edited by Mike Horrell; 05-29-2010 at 10:13 AM..

Old 05-29-2010, 02:13 PM

1,732 posts, read 4,453,216 times
back to the republican primary topic....was rather surprised at the amount of money martinez has been accepting from very wealthy texas constituents.

Texas developer and wife give Martinez $450K | NMPolitics.net – Heath Haussamen on New Mexico Politics

Old 05-29-2010, 08:15 PM

5,052 posts, read 7,436,166 times
And Weh has donated another $600K (!) to his own campaign. Good business sense?

Looking forward to watching the returns on Tuesday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico