Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 09:15 AM

3 posts, read 9,836 times

Advertisements

There is no place like New Orleans. I truly believe there are only a few cities in the USA that have that "special feel" to it: New Orleans, San Francisco, NYC, and I'm sure there are a few others I haven't visited. Most cities don't have that old style, cultured atmosphere that you are immersed in. Even the local tourist trap districts don't seem as genuine. I'm not sure if it's the age of the city itself that helps with this, but it is definitely hard to get that generic suburban feel to New Orleans unless you leave the heart of the city and go to the East, Westbank, Jefferson Parish, etc.

Have a nice day!

Olando Cormier
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2010, 10:50 PM

10 posts, read 67,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allcladrad View Post
I can certainly understand why a person from San Jose, CA would not like New Orleans, the two places are on different pages. One vibrant, yet unpredictable the other mundane and extremely predictable, earthquakes aside.

To me at least, life seems to be about risk and reward. Establishing goals and objectives will determine where you stand, San Jose, low risk, low reward or New Orleans, higher risk, higher rewards.
Perfectly said. The older I get, the more I realize that I have a low threshold for suburbia. I like things a little gritty, unpredictable yet beautiful. It's why I loved living on Haight Street in San Francisco, and why I will hopefully love living in New Orleans.

Old 04-26-2010, 07:23 AM

194 posts, read 545,195 times
movingsomewhere, ignore that guy!

"Chugging bourbon by the bottle" - what? As far as diet and health, I've never been confronted with more fresh produce in my life, lol! There's a lot more than just fried food here, although it can be nice occasionally. And people walk a lot here. There are far more overweight people in Atlanta, where I'm from, than I've seen here. If someone hates New Orleans (or anything/place) probably nothing will change that, but I would advise you to come visit and see for yourself. My New Orleans is an awesome place and the people - of all colors - are kind and welcoming.

Old 04-26-2010, 08:52 AM

2,057 posts, read 5,327,375 times
People live in New Orleans because it has genuine soul. It feels very special to be a part of that atmosphere and to experience it on a daily basis. Personally, I dont drink much and I have more Cajun roots so Lafayette speaks more to me, but I can definitely see why people would identify with New Orleans. From the Frenchtown feel, the colorful and musical character of the streets and history of the place, its all very romantic in nature and its residents have a swelling sense of pride. And rightly so. To top that off, the greatest football team to ever grace a city is located in Tha Dome.
Yeah its dangerous, crime filled, decaying, but so is Detroit, and I promise you people dont romanticize Detroit the way they do New Orleans. In short, it really is like no other city on Earth. You cant mistake it for anything else. It doesnt just fit the mold of a traditional city, and many of the big box suburban stores have not taken root there at all, which gives it a lost in time feel. Walking around in New Orleans reminds you of better days, when people actuallytook the time to LIVE instead of just exist. Youll see what I mean when you visit it.

Old 04-28-2010, 02:37 AM

5,717 posts, read 16,352,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allcladrad View Post
I can certainly understand why a person from San Jose, CA would not like New Orleans, the two places are on different pages. One vibrant, yet unpredictable the other mundane and extremely predictable, earthquakes aside.

And as for those who move to find a better future, good luck. Big cities that look like they have big education, most likely have bigger problems. Smaller cities have less in the way of education but more in moral values, but might not get your children into an upper level university.

To me at least, life seems to be about risk and reward. Establishing goals and objectives will determine where you stand, San Jose, low risk, low reward or New Orleans, higher risk, higher rewards.
Sounds like you've really bought your own hype. This is the same trite generalizations from big cities, except now it's coming from a small one...

Old 04-28-2010, 07:41 AM

194 posts, read 545,195 times
The people who love New Orleans and want to be here are the ones who are "compatible" with the city. We belong to it and it belongs to us.

I think it's a lot like being in a relationship with another human being. There are plenty of guys out there with fine qualities who would not be a match for me, or me for them. Everyone has their good and not-so-good points. Not everyone could put up with my bossiness or my husband's lack of organizational skills. But we've each decided that the positive far outweighs the negative with each other and we have great relationship. But it's silly to argue with my neighbor, for example, and tell her that she should look for someone like my husband, because she might not be a match to that personality type.

As far as cities go, I've been to plenty of places that I liked but didn't want to live in. New Orleans is a wonderful match for me. I don't think I could live in L.A. - it just doesn't "feel right" to me, but I have a good friend who moved there and loves it. She easily overlooks things that would probably aggravate the heck out of me.

I think the bottom line is that everyone needs to figure out the best match for themselves and not bash other people for their choices. We all have different needs and different preferences.

Old 04-28-2010, 09:49 AM

4,230 posts, read 10,488,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepointykitty View Post
The people who love New Orleans and want to be here are the ones who are "compatible" with the city. We belong to it and it belongs to us.

I think it's a lot like being in a relationship with another human being. There are plenty of guys out there with fine qualities who would not be a match for me, or me for them. Everyone has their good and not-so-good points. Not everyone could put up with my bossiness or my husband's lack of organizational skills. But we've each decided that the positive far outweighs the negative with each other and we have great relationship. But it's silly to argue with my neighbor, for example, and tell her that she should look for someone like my husband, because she might not be a match to that personality type.

As far as cities go, I've been to plenty of places that I liked but didn't want to live in. New Orleans is a wonderful match for me. I don't think I could live in L.A. - it just doesn't "feel right" to me, but I have a good friend who moved there and loves it. She easily overlooks things that would probably aggravate the heck out of me.

I think the bottom line is that everyone needs to figure out the best match for themselves and not bash other people for their choices. We all have different needs and different preferences.
That's the perfect way to describe.
You either get or you don't. There are days I wake up hating this city and almost everything in it, but at the end of the day I love it to death. Just like people.

Old 11-22-2015, 05:00 PM

1 posts, read 1,694 times
To move into an area or frequent an area dominated by ******y means your judgement is flawed and you're asking to get raped, robbed and murdered. Ignore crime waves and karma kicks your ass!

Old 11-24-2015, 04:58 AM

396 posts, read 665,254 times
What would it be like to retire in NEw Orleans?

Old 11-26-2015, 07:34 AM

806 posts, read 877,462 times
I have lived there , gone back and worked there , visited family there , etc. and it is not for me . I do not criticize those of you that love it , but it is not for everyone .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans