Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2013, 12:01 PM

47 posts, read 84,168 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshland View Post
I havent closed yet and kind of left hanging...I received my mortgage commitment and now all I hear are crickets chirping...have to email everyone and their mother today to see whats what..
You won't close until you get word from the mortgage person from the bank that you are "cleared to close." I was cleared to close almost two weeks ago and since they would not move my closing date up have to I wait for two more weeks to close. They was not a lot of wiggle room to move the closing date because of the volume of people that are scheduled for closing.

About the hot water problem, does the super know, or the builders that are still around doing walkthroughs? I will ask about it in a week when I go for my final walkthrough. Keep us in the loop of the situation. Perhaps the boiler is not being triggered, because of the lack of tenants. Energy saver feature?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2013, 05:39 PM

26 posts, read 44,321 times
Hot water working now! I figured out the trick...at least in our apartment...you have to turn the tap to the temperature you want BEFORE you turn on the showerhead. In other words, run the bath water until it reaches the temp you want, then turn the showerhead on. Once the showerhead is on, you can make it colder but not hotter. Not sure if that was an intentional, but I think I'll get used to it. Curious to see if that is how it works in everyone's unit...

Old 04-21-2013, 05:40 PM

131 posts, read 338,510 times
you have to let the water run for a while. maybe up to 10 mins, for some reason it took a little longer yesterday. thats because of the empty bldg I was told.

Old 04-22-2013, 06:57 AM

139 posts, read 189,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soontobehomeowner View Post
you have to let the water run for a while. maybe up to 10 mins, for some reason it took a little longer yesterday. thats because of the empty bldg I was told.
It also depends what floor you are on - the lower floors get hot water right away - i tested that in the walk thru. There was no one in the bldg then and the hot water came in 30 secs.

Old 04-22-2013, 07:03 AM

25,429 posts, read 37,238,129 times
My last building had a circulating system that kept hot water right at your faucet.
Current building does not have that so water has to be run and run and run before the pipes empty out of cooked water.
Sucks. Such an unnecessary waste of water.

They put in 1.6 Liter toilets to save water and force you to waste 50 gallons to start a shower.

Old 04-22-2013, 07:24 AM

139 posts, read 189,928 times
They put in 1.6 Liter toilets to save water and force you to waste 50 gallons to start a shower.[/quote]

Good point!

Old 04-22-2013, 01:44 PM

27 posts, read 39,087 times
Hi Everybody and Congratulations,

Those of you going through your walk through, bring a circuit tester (or a small electrical device to plug in) and test all the electrical sockets. Some are switched and others not, but I found several that had no power and were not properly connected. The hot water issue could be from standing hot water in the pipes that cools because of low demand, as people move in it will be more constant.

Old 04-22-2013, 08:46 PM

26 posts, read 42,072 times
Has anyone who closed gotten their $100 deposit back for the offering plan? I forgot to ask about it...

Old 04-23-2013, 12:34 PM

13 posts, read 20,296 times
Thanks for unswering about the train noise!

It is very disappointing to hear about hot water. Don't let that go. The price increments of water per person are not factored in to the rent. The current coop I live in the water issue is the most annoying and I live on 4th floor (out of 6) it is not unusual to wait for 10-15 min for hot water. Water bills are always brought up during meetings. Management put in airators that make water drip, takes forever to fill up a cup of water. Energy efficient washing machines that save water but don't wash. And rent keeps going up. Don't let them get away with this. We will all pay for that later.

Old 04-23-2013, 07:47 PM

12 posts, read 17,687 times
How many days after initial walk through did you get your closing letter?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery