Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2014, 02:48 PM

913 posts, read 2,274,579 times

Advertisements

I wish I could give you some insight, but i am in the 2000 range and not a peep or sound from any of the reps their yet and no rejection letter yet.

BFAB, i thought it was cute for the audience it's targeting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2014, 06:23 PM

2 posts, read 3,195 times
Smile I signed a lease today!

Hi, I am new to this board, but just wanted to say, I finally signed a lease after months and months of paperwork and I am starting to get excited (and nervous). I was given a month... so I move in the beginning of July.. have to downsize and figure out what to keep and what to give away, sell etc. Hope this is the right decision! I have to commute to Ridgewood to work, which is annoying, I was hoping to find someone to share driving, or I have to give up car to save money and take a train into Manhattan and back out to Queens! Wish me luck! The lease is long, give yourself time when you go to the Bronx to sign, there's a lot to read and riders attached regarding lots of things including not putting storage on the terrace, and no barbequing(boo).

Old 05-29-2014, 06:47 PM

28 posts, read 50,045 times
Longislandcityrocks, congrats! Hope you enjoy you're new apartment. Were they firm in move in date or flexible? Also, what apartment did you get?
I'm waiting for city approval still, lets see what happens.
Again, enjoy your new place

Old 05-30-2014, 07:24 AM

LiCRocks, congrats!

If you ever get a job in Manhattan, your commute will be a breeze. Usually everyone trying to move in is working in the city.

World Wayfarer, are you still waiting?

Old 05-30-2014, 09:57 AM

28 posts, read 50,045 times
I know... my commute would be just a train away and reduced to 15 or 20 mins to get to work.
Still waiting... I'll keep the forum up to date. Two weeks not due yet.

Old 05-31-2014, 05:03 PM

2 posts, read 3,607 times
Default Officially In the Lottery

Hi all:

I've been following this thread for a while and thought I'd give an update on my bf's experience. Like others, he filled out an application and was asked to come in on May 10th to drop off additional info (w2's etc) and to also look at a few units to get a feel of the apartments. Well 2 weeks later, he got a vm notifying him that his info has been processed and everything checked out and he's been officially submitted into the lottery and should hear back within another 2 weeks to see where he is (this just happened this week, btw). I am going to assume it will take longer than 2 weeks to hear back (can anyone who has signed a lease verify?). Also, I don't know how I feel about the location since it's 5 mins away from Queensbridge projects, largest projects in the northeast USA and if you look at crime stats, there's a lot more violent crimes in LIC and a smaller population of people living there. Can anyone who lives in the building or LIC now share thoughts on their views of the neighborhood in terms of safety? TIA

Old 06-01-2014, 02:39 PM

I've expressed my concerns about the area, but everyone starts throwing out the word 'racist' when i tell them about my observations. Some people don't even know the definition of the R word, but love to throw it around.

I think with all those condos going up, the area is trying to attract a certain type of individual to inject safety and class into the area which is ' young working professionals' of a higher income. I think once the remaining condos are finished and filled, the stores and malls will be next.

The projects in that area isn't going anywhere. I know NYC gets more and more expensive each year, but i am not sure if that factor along will make people who live in those housing projects every move out of where they live. The city would never demolish those buildings to build high end luxury condos. As you know, the government can't have people be destitute or die with their body just laying on the street, so the government does what it can to keep the over populated world in some semi aesthetically pleasing state. But hard working individuals all know what's going on beneath the surface of a pretty portrait.

So to answer your question, i think it's safe for the most part and will only get better with time once it gets even more populated. Just don't let anyone in those housing projects get you pregnant because we know what that will lead to.

Old 06-01-2014, 03:42 PM

10 posts, read 12,880 times
Haven't heard anything

Old 06-01-2014, 04:01 PM

Me too and no rejection letter yet.

Old 06-01-2014, 05:14 PM

86 posts, read 312,552 times
CityBear - re: how long it will take to sign a lease.

Honestly all depends on the circumstances (how busy they are, what unit you are going for, etc.)

The next step for you would be to sign a floor plan. To give you some color, I did that in early February and I still have not signed a lease (although my situation is unique).

In a nutshell, don't expect anything with regards to a timeline (some people it's been really quick and for others it's been slow). Just keep your fingers crossed and patience in check.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery