Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2017, 02:27 PM

14 posts, read 38,995 times

Advertisements

Alright, thank you everybody. I will save myself some time by ignoring this housing thing. Maybe even move to New Jersey for example if I can't get a better option here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2017, 02:31 PM

14 posts, read 38,995 times
In my case they asked me to email them after my interview a letter that show if I'm full time or part time, so I had to. And I don't have a student loan or any other kind of loan.

Old 04-22-2017, 02:45 PM

1,258 posts, read 1,461,784 times
I guess you could have just said you weren't a student, but you risk later exposure, although again, how they would find out is a mystery if there's no loan trail and you're working full-time and have income to show. Maybe enroll part-time. There was a story on the site Bridge a few years ago written by a young woman who took twice as long to get her degree (went part time) so that she could get a subsidized apt in the Battery Park City complex. She said drawing the degree out for eight years had its drawbacks, but that it was worth it to get the apt.

Old 04-23-2017, 09:56 AM

38 posts, read 77,339 times
I think it's so stupid, to be honest. I can understand barring people who are studying full time and living off loans, but if you're working full time and don't live off loans then... I mean... why?!

It's not like you graduate and magically make more money. There are tons of jobs in this city requiring a bachelor's degree and 5+ years of experience and paying PEANUTS. I'm actually looking for jobs for my boyfriend and a lot of even administrative positions require experience, a B.A. and pay so little.

One more question:
Once you move in and the lease is signed, are you allowed to go to school full time?

Old 04-23-2017, 10:42 AM

1,214 posts, read 1,841,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moving415 View Post
I guess you could have just said you weren't a student, but you risk later exposure, although again, how they would find out is a mystery if there's no loan trail and you're working full-time and have income to show..
Isn't that fraud...? I had to sign a sworn notarized affidavit regarding student status.

Applicant’s Name: _______________________________ Log #:_______

Project Name: ___________________________________ Unit #:_____

Please read carefully and complete all statements that apply:

[ ] 1. I am currently a full-time student. I understand that my student status is subject to third party verification in conjunction with my application.

SCHOOL: __________________________________________________ _

ADDRESS: __________________________________________________

[ ] 2. I am currently a part-time student. I understand that my student status is subject to third party verification in conjunction with my application.

SCHOOL: __________________________________________________ _

ADDRESS: __________________________________________________

[ ] 3. I anticipate becoming a

[ ] full-time student -OR-
[ ] part-time student

within the next twelve (12) months and agree to notify (____________________________) of any changes in my student status.

[ ] 4. I am neither a full-time or part-time student.

Under penalty of perjury, I certify that the information presented in this affidavit is true and accurate to the best of my knowledge. The undersigned further understands that providing false representations herein constitutes an act of fraud. False, misleading or incomplete information may result in the termination of the processing of this application.

_________________________________________ _______________
APPLICANT SIGNATURE DATE

Sworn to and subscribed before me on this ____________ day of ______________, 20____.

Old 04-23-2017, 11:13 AM

It's a stupid policy that calls out out to be flauted, as long as you're earning the required income and can prove that through pay stubs, taxes, 1099s. Anyone truly concerned should just switch their status to part-time, as a way to accommodate this ridiculous rule, for a semester or two, while waiting out a housing lottery. A lot of these rules seem to be formulated for another era and another economy, when not as many people worked for themselves, worked full-time and went to school, etc. People are now constantly holding down jobs, often full-time, and going, often returning, to school full-time too. Schools have all kinds of weekend, evening, and online programs to accommodate this new reality. Schools have stepped up to these changes, while the housing authority has not. Something tells me these various forms and rules have not been updated since this lottery system started decades ago. If any housing authority is reading this, please, get with the 21st century and revise your forms and policies to accommodate the lives most of us lead.

Last edited by Moving415; 04-23-2017 at 11:26 AM..

Old 04-23-2017, 11:13 AM

Do they by and large allow part time students? I could move down to part time, but with the way the housing lotteries go I'll probably be finished by the time I'm (hypothetically) called lol.

Old 04-23-2017, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moving415 View Post
fraud/schmaud. Stupid policies call out out to be flauted. If you're earning a living, working full-time, so what if you're studying too. Anyone truly concerned should just switch their status to part-time, as a way to accommodate this stupid system, for a semester or two, while waiting out a housing lottery. That's how dumb this rule is. A lot of these rules seem to be based on a 1950s, O.K. maybe even a 1980s, work environment, where not as many people worked for themselves, went to school perhaps later in life, etc. People are now constantly holding down jobs, often full-time, and returning to school full-time too, sometimes just for personal enrichment. Schools have all kinds of weekend, evening, and online programs to accommodate this. All these idiotic, archaic rules, which have little relevance in today's work world, need a revamp to take account of current realities. Something tells me these forms have not been updated since this lottery system started decades ago. If any housing authority is reading this, please, get with the 21st century. It's not 1955, or even 1980, anymore.
You betta preach lol.

I study online. It has absolutely no bearing on my ability to earn an income, which has been stable for years. I am a responsible 28 year old adult getting a bachelor of arts in jurisprudence to assist my clients better in a company which I myself formed and own, NOT to go on to bigger and better things or "scam" the system. These rules are archaic and, frankly, insulting. I don't even have student loans, for God's sake! I pay entirely out of pocket. As responsible people do.

Is one allowed to revert back to full time status after moving in? Or do they still check?

Old 04-23-2017, 11:32 AM

I think once you're in, you're in. They say you can win the lottery and still keep the apartment. I think we need to advocate for change. About many things, including self-employment income. Something needs to be done. Read the guidelines or email HPD, or do both, to get clear on the part-time student rules before you make major changes in your school status.

Old 04-23-2017, 12:10 PM

Luckily I'm on a w-2 because I am a salaried employee of my company, so I won't have to deal with the absolute b.s. of the whole self-employment income on a 1099 being scrutinized really unfairly compared to w-2 income.

But the student thing really irks me! Do they respond if I call or e-mail to ask? And honestly, what is the sense of even calling or asking? Unless I get them to sign something in writing, it's my word against any potential interviewer's word about being told it was okay if the time comes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery