Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2018, 03:10 AM

1 posts, read 16,778 times

Advertisements

I have log numbres 50 ,79 and 432 does that mean I am about to be called.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2018, 01:13 PM

1 posts, read 16,719 times
Unhappy Method of contact

Hi, I'm new to this... I have been applying for about 2 years and have never been contacted. At least I don't think I have... I chose email as my preference for how they should contact me. Is it possible they may be calling me instead? I'm guessing they would leave a message though right? I'm expecting them to email me if I should ever be selected....

Quote:
Originally Posted by q41apartments View Post
I was recently awarded a middle income lottery and i can tell you my entire experience form A to Z. I am going to be up front that it was a very hard and painful process and i cried many nights. Now that we have the dramatics out of the way, lets get down to your questions.

For my lottery, I applied via regular mail. They still accept paper applications, but recommend online submissions more. Electronic is always better in my opinion. I have only applied to 2 apartment lotteries my entire life.

Log numbers are very important. I can tell you that everyone in my buildings log number was 3,000 and below. I do not know anyone who was awarded an apartment that had log numbers above 3,000.

My building is brand new and had 108 empty units to give away which is 98% of the building. 4 units on the top 2 floors are for sale but now turned rental. Anyways, you are probably asking yourself: If there is only 108 units, howcome the log numbers are not 108 and under. Here is why:
If 3,000 people come in, not all 3,000 necessarily qualify for the apartment.
This can be due to bad credit.
The applicant was employed when they applied, but are now unemployed after getting called in.
Lied on the application.
Was awarded an apartment, but decided to turn it down, so the next in line gets called in.
Some of he applicants listed phone numbers do not work anymore. Somestimes people cancel their cell service and get new numbers. So remember to keep the same number and don't change it.
Sometimes people get called in and the building leaves them a voicemail, but they never respond so they go to the next person in line.
Background check did not go through and so forth.
There are many reasons, but those are some.

So do not let high log numbers detour you from feeling you will not get awarded an apartment. If it is a low income lottery, the chances of people turning it down are pretty slim. Mine was a middle income lottery and for the price of each unit, the awarded applicants felt they were entitled to 2 bedrooms, 2 bath, and a balcony. So many people were awarded units and turned it down. This worked out because i was awarded one.

Also, they don't conduct interviews. Maybe for section 8 housing and low income they might conduct interviews because those applicants do not have a high source of income and they have to be cautious with who they award units to because that person can end up broke and not be able to pay the cheap rent they were awarded, smoke weed, do drugs, etc. Also, there are a few lotteries in super high luxury door man buildings in Manhattan where everyone else is paying 6K in rent, and they'll award a small number of units to people who make 25K and under and for those instances, they really can't just have any nobody in that building. They need reliable lottery winners and not someone who will get awarded a place and then start jamming the studio and having 5 friends live there with them.

OP, is yours a low income lottery? Not to rain on your parade, but 5,000 doesn't seem like a good sign to me. You always want to have low lottery numbers, but stay positive regardless.

Remember, that one person's trash is anothers treasure.

Feel free to ask me more questions. I am a fountain of knowledge and would love to help anyone.

Old 09-17-2018, 01:56 PM

51 posts, read 127,890 times
I applied to a waiting list online a few days ago but when I try to view the application I get an "Error Code 2" message on screen.

Anyone else seeing this error?

Old 09-18-2018, 08:35 AM

2 posts, read 17,199 times
Anyone know what is tenant income certification for?. This is after the interview.

Old 09-18-2018, 07:12 PM

50 posts, read 85,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadeonHD4250 View Post

My lowest log number to date is 368 for 250 Ashland Place, but I have yet to hear from them.
Oooooohh, that is an amazing location!!! Would kill for one of these downtown Brooklyn ones, as it’s right by my job. I’ve heard, though, that many of these lotteries end up with lots of empty slots in the higher income range. Like they can’t fill the apartments for those poor “middle income†folks who are making $75k and up.

God forbid they should open those up to the people who really need affordable housing...

Old 09-18-2018, 07:15 PM

50 posts, read 85,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acljump View Post
I applied to a waiting list online a few days ago but when I try to view the application I get an "Error Code 2" message on screen.

Anyone else seeing this error?

I have had problems on and off with it. Have emailed them and been told that the system just has some problems and to try again. I use a Mac and have more success using Chrome than Firefox.

Old 09-29-2018, 07:28 AM

12 posts, read 39,684 times
Hi, how good is log numbers, I have applied for many projects and got my log numbers in the 18000 to 20000 and have not been called; does log numbers means the time they will call you,

Old 10-07-2018, 04:00 PM

1 posts, read 16,438 times
I have been on NYC Housing Connect wait list, from since back when it first opened up. It Started out as housing assistance for low income individuals (so I thought). That would've made more sense with all the hardships low income people find when looking for a new place, especially in this new day and age of "Gentrification". They even accept people who have section 8 vouchers (the question is within the application. So to the poster that was posting his judgmental comments about a section 8 individual going broke before others not receiving a housing subsidy, these apartments take vouchers as well. When a person loses their job while receiving a voucher the voucher will still cover the entire rent, while that recipients looks for a new job. Not the case with those that do not have a housing subsidy. When those individuals lose their job, they may be the one that is broke, eventually left with no way to pay their rent or bills. But my gripe is that I been on this wait "Lottery list" for years now, I am presently having the hardest time finding an apartment right now, and I haven't heard a single thing from these people at all (whoever is over the lotteries.) They say these lotteries are "RANDOM", but I really do not think so. I think that discrimination takes place when deciding who gets picked for these apartments as well. Just like in the Market. I think these apartments should be given to people who actually NEED HOUSING. People in shelters, people with vouchers that have a hard time finding a place here in expensive NY because so many management companies, and landlords flat out discriminate against voucher holders. Which is extremely ignorant to ASSUME that all voucher holders or even the majority, are lazy, will damage property, don't work etc. With the homeless population as high as it is here in NY, and the rents sky rocketed the way they are here, is no reason brand new apartment complexes should be built up and designed to cater more towards those that can afford these high rents, or to those Gentrifying within NY. Screen the individuals you pick to live in these buildings, but at the same time they need to stop discriminating. Folks need a place to live!

Old 10-19-2018, 12:42 PM

2 posts, read 18,426 times
hello i have been trying to update my appication on housing connect for about two months now and the website wont let me go pass step 2 of edit my profile (Your name and address). is any one else experiencing this same problem. I have tried looking for contact info to get to technical assisstance but it doesnt seem to exist. HDC i think creats the accounts and there is a number to their downtown manhattan office. i called there a women picks up i say i have a question and she immediately says let me transfer you... very strange because i never asked the question so what exactly are you transfering me to... of course i got a voicemail to whoever she transfered me to. i called back a second time asked her to please not tranfer me and listen to what i need first she said she cant answer any questions she is just the operator, i said i need technical support and she transfered me to a different VOICEMAIL. has anyone else not been able to update their application and have any suggestions on what i can do next? Thank you

Old 10-19-2018, 02:51 PM

4,766 posts, read 6,555,721 times
^^^ Make sure you're not on the Mitchell Lama side of Housing Connect. For the Mitchell Lamas, you apply using only your address and phone number.

Log out and sign in again, and make sure you're NOT on the ML side. You need to see a blue panel on the right. If it's red, you're on the wrong side.

Just a guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery