Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2019, 02:30 AM

6 posts, read 13,825 times

Advertisements

It should be simple:
You qualify or not !!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2019, 11:54 AM

1 posts, read 2,185 times
Default Increased Lotto Chances?

Hello all!

I've been applying for years now and check daily for new housing opportunities. I know all the steps for after being chosen and am prepared for that process, butttt wanted to know if anyone has any tips on upping the chance of getting chosen? I know its a lottery but constantly am told not completely.

My lowest number is 7,000 for a listing with 60 apartments in my income bracket.

Im an actor and freelance teaching artist, with an eye disability (I don't need accommodations however.) I hear those things can help my chances somehow.

Also are my chances higher with a paper application? I just sent out my envelope to a developer and awaiting my apps arrival.

Any help, is help!

Thanks y'all!

Old 02-05-2019, 01:59 PM

4,775 posts, read 6,573,986 times
Your odds of getting chosen are MUCH higher IF you apply to a building in your community board AND the development has a community board preference. That preference is being phased out, however, and so you muct read the PDF ad to see if there are preferences.

Also, if you have an vision disability and can prove it, that would be a way up upping your chances.

Your chances are also much better if you are in the 135% or 164% of AMI, AND the building has apartments for those brackets.

Some people think that sending in a paper application increases your odds, but I wouldn't count on it.

Residents of homeless shelters are also getting priority for up to half of the community allotment, but I wouldn't recommend going that route unless you have no other choice.

Last edited by macnyc2003; 02-05-2019 at 02:10 PM..

Old 02-05-2019, 02:08 PM

3,144 posts, read 2,735,240 times
If you're in the lower income brackets, the lottery really is a lottery. It will always be a very long shot. Nothing to do but keep applying. Sorry. It's not easy for artists in NYC these days.

(I'm not guaranteeing no corruption in the process, but most people saying it's "not a lottery" around here are, honestly, just people who struggle to understand how the preference system works. No matter how many times other people explain it.)

Old 02-05-2019, 02:25 PM

2,179 posts, read 1,864,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc2003 View Post
Your odds of getting chosen are MUCH higher IF you apply to a building in your community board AND the development has a community board preference. That preference is being phased out, however, and so you muct read the PDF ad to see if there are preferences.

Also, if you have an vision disability and can prove it, that would be a way up upping your chances.

Your chances are also much better if you are in the 135% or 164% of AMI, AND the building has apartments for those brackets.

Some people think that sending in a paper application increases your odds, but I wouldn't count on it.

Residents of homeless shelters are also getting priority for up to half of the community allotment, but I wouldn't recommend going that route unless you have no other choice.
I don't think that really exists anymore....

Old 02-07-2019, 07:00 PM

83 posts, read 235,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomperson2 View Post
If you're in the lower income brackets, the lottery really is a lottery. It will always be a very long shot. Nothing to do but keep applying. Sorry. It's not easy for artists in NYC these days.

(I'm not guaranteeing no corruption in the process, but most people saying it's "not a lottery" around here are, honestly, just people who struggle to understand how the preference system works. No matter how many times other people explain it.)
are applications selected at random after being assigned random log numbers? or do they go in log number order once assigned?

Old 02-07-2019, 07:49 PM

3,144 posts, read 2,735,240 times
The latter, BUT they will process people with preferences first (in log # order amongst themselves) until they exhaust that pool of apartments.

Old 02-09-2019, 08:13 AM

Hey !! I can tell you for sure with FACTS (MY CASE) that somethings are going to increase and double the chance to get it.
1) Fit the Requirements like fitting your income with the brakets.
2) Apply mostly in your nearest area of living ie: Zip Code around. (Comm. Board Pref)
3) You got to got EVERY SINGLE INCOME DOCUMENT ie: You are freelancer Probe it with Doxs.
4) Won´t recommend you to try with ANY dissabilities b´cause your chances decrease a lot.

Tell you why: What about if there are more than 10 people w/dissabilities worst than you. ie: a 99% blind ??
Finnally if you are on the witing list thats it ... the limbo is shorter in time that the endless waiting list...
Hope to help !!

Old 02-09-2019, 08:24 AM

I´m sorry for you man !! It has NOTHING TO DO if you are an artist a sanitation worker or a politician.
If you can prove it with real documents.
And if people say is Not a lottery people CANT BE CRAZY.. there are a lot of missinformation and hidden weird stuff.
Because behind the process are HUMANS and they are NOT perfect... so corruption is a possibility !!
The Digital system as a Lottery could be OK.

PLEASE give your opinion about the NEVER (No Clue) answered questions !!
Like: What is your real chance to get it ??
Whats your place on the waiting list ??
How much time it will get to you to be on the list ??

Old 02-09-2019, 08:39 AM

I created a New Thread called THE WAITING LIST.
So if you are on the witing list fell free to add your opinion and questions.
Together we will strip the truth behind it !!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery