Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2017, 07:37 AM

1 posts, read 3,989 times

Advertisements

Hello i have a interview for a lottery apartment I also have working section 8 if I didn't have the section 8 I could afford the rent in this new building what is the likely hood that I get the apartment or how soon will I know if I got the apartment
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2017, 08:30 AM

387 posts, read 558,775 times
It can vary. At the interview you'll give in the documents requested, they then send out verifications forms to 4-5 places, then it'll go to management and once they approve (or not), they'll ask you to come in and sign papers to send your documents to HPD. Once it gets to HPD, they go through everything you submitted to make sure you qualify-this can take anywhere between 1week to 1 month. If they approve, they'll call you for orientation /an apartment viewing and you sign your lease soon after.

Old 10-16-2017, 02:41 AM

13 posts, read 27,159 times
Has anyone heard about "williamsburg community apartments"

Old 11-05-2017, 06:05 PM

14 posts, read 39,003 times
Crazy thing is, I'm always lucky to have low numbers, get an email from them and then get rejected because of the student rule or whatever. I still don't understand that rule. If I'm a full time student and work full time under salary, why would you look at me as a full time student and not a full time worker? So if I decide to go part time, then in the future, I'll get my chances. Isn't that a system inciting people to be lazy somehow? Then they complain about people taking advantage of the system. I need the lottery now to cut down my expenses and focus on school. After the master degree, the chances of getting a well paid job are high and that's one person out of the assistance program.

Old 11-06-2017, 04:46 AM

4,769 posts, read 6,558,555 times
The rule excluding full-time students is a federal one relating to the tax break that the developers get for offering the low-income housing. I don't know what the reasoning is behind it.

Old 11-06-2017, 09:42 AM

Is there any project not receiving tax break? So far, I've seen only tax break programs

Old 11-06-2017, 02:44 PM

4,769 posts, read 6,558,555 times
There are lots of regular market-rate buildings around. Do they have cheap rent? It depends on the area, but probably not.

Also, you CAN be a full-time student in 80/20 housing as long as someone else in your household is not. Are you applying by yourself?

As I mentioned, I don't know the reasoning behind the no-students rule. But you point out a possibility: You go to school full time, able to do so because you have a cheap apartment, let's say. Then you graduate and get a well-paying job. You said, "That's one person out of the assistance program." But you're not required to leave your subsidized housing when your income goes up. So you're taking up a cheap apartment that could have gone to a low-income person.

Last edited by macnyc2003; 11-06-2017 at 02:52 PM..

Old 11-06-2017, 02:51 PM

Yes I did it alone
I actually emailed the HPD and they told me that Full-time students can apply to projects that are not Low Income Housing Tax Credit (LIHTC).

Old 11-07-2017, 02:53 PM

416 posts, read 247,554 times
Does anyone know if HPD will accept late appeals?

Old 11-07-2017, 03:48 PM

1,258 posts, read 1,462,073 times
Do you mean beyond the five-business-day deadline? HPD is a tad flexible on this, say, you'd probably be OK if the agency received the appeal within five to seven business days of the postmark or email date of the marketing agent's rejection of your appeal. If it's more, well, you can submit and see what happens. If the marketing agent failed to inform you about the option of appealing to HPD, that would work in your favor. And since you need to include that rejection letter with your appeal, HPD would see that. I would just submit and see what happens. Or call the Compliance desk, but by doing that you risk getting an outright "no." HPD is currently so behind that it might not notice you're late.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery