Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2015, 09:28 PM

14 posts, read 23,581 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeytran View Post
@mslove4 which building is that for? I was told they still have 1br. Im wondering if thats for a specific building. If you dont mind me asking what floor was the apt you got on? Im still waiting for it. Hope i get it i know they are filling fast. I hope the ones that are left arent on the ground floor
1133 is one building it consist of a N & a S side . I am on the N side . I am on the 6th flr. By ground floor do you mean the 2nd floor ? Because the ground floor is the lobby and there are no apts there. The woman told me I filled the last lottery 1 Br , the only ones that were left were the higher prices ones I believe it was about 1900 ? Not really sure. Good luck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2015, 06:54 AM

21 posts, read 40,704 times
Hey @mslove4
I am on N side 4fl

Old 04-08-2015, 01:12 PM

44 posts, read 48,770 times
Dreamcametrue, "Bottom line= If the building (along with the sheltered area) is not suitable for living at the time of renting, few people would be less likely to terminate their lease and move there with the HOPE that it will be ok in DECADES."

That is absolutely YOUR bottom line. The majority of us don't see ourselves being able to buy property or, if we can, don't want to. The kind of property I would be able to afford in an area with good schools and access to our jobs where we aren't traveling an hour each way to get to and from work would be terrible...a money pit. We don't want the responsibility of that all and the sword of Damocles dangling over us about what expense is coming next. We prefer the stability.

As I said, we love the neighborhood. The shelters in the area may be non-starters for you, but they are not for us. First: we are on the Box Street side of the building (the north side) and enter through the concierge area with the doorman. It's pretty secure and there is really no place for people to loiter.I 've lived in NYC for 15 years now and know how to navigate the ins and out of homeless folks coming and going where I am. Interacting with homeless people who are on the trains is more of a worry than folks around shelters. There is a substantial police presence there and it is what it is.

That is really the only issue in the area: one homeless shelter a block away that is not on the route that we take to get to and from the major subway stop. We have zero reason to go anywhere near that shelter and you can be certain that if there are folks loitering around, doing drugs and being disruptive, 1133 will be calling the police, as will I. It's one of the great parts of being part of a big building: we can also organize pretty quickly to push back against that sort of stuff. As far as challenges go, this is a pretty easy one.

That said, this is all a matter of preference. The place is great as of now. It will be better in decades in terms of the RENT we will be paying compared to our market rate neighbors!

Aniach: 3rd floor, North side!

Old 04-08-2015, 03:46 PM

12 posts, read 21,113 times
@ bobjohnson55

Good Luck in your HOPES (in terms of the rent) then............(LOL)

Old 04-08-2015, 04:05 PM

17 posts, read 24,160 times
@ bobjohnson55

I got 330 first but switch for 4th floor ��

Old 04-08-2015, 04:06 PM

17 posts, read 24,160 times
��@bobjohnson55
I got 330 but switch for 4 floor ��

Old 04-08-2015, 08:48 PM

4 posts, read 5,629 times
I was interviewed for a one bedroom, low income .and was informed that someone will contact me. I never received a letter or phone call. When I finally called them I was informed that all of the 1 bedrooms were filled, and that I was on a (back up waiting list) UNBELIEVABLE

Old 04-08-2015, 08:52 PM

44 posts, read 48,770 times
Dreamcametrue...had a friend of mine who works in affordable housing sit down with me and look through the agreement 1133 and Domain made with the city. The formula is complicated but it will be 2% or less a year. Rents in Greenpoint are skyrocketing 7-10% every year to two years right now and climbing. People are getting pushed out of housing really fast.

So, yeah...it's not about hope. It's about doing your homework.

I am glad you figured out you didn't want to be in the building before you signed anything. It will be great to live next to people who want to be there!

Old 04-09-2015, 07:24 AM

12 posts, read 18,818 times
sweetdreams89, same thing happened to me i was interviewed for 2 bedrooms low income jan 30, they told me you will know wether you were approve or not in 6 to 8 weeks, they never let me know and i decided to call and they told me i was in a back up list because my number appeared to be high. smh had my hopes up for nothing when my application was not even processed.

Old 04-09-2015, 07:32 AM

7 posts, read 14,080 times
We still haven't received a call for 2b/2ba middle income ca preference, but it seems that it is quite likely we will. Our number is in the low 30,000s and they said that they were at 25,000. From what I understand in this forum, there are around 25 units left and most for 2b/2ba middle income. If there are any corroborators of our assumptions, please let me know!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery