Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2017, 10:47 AM

2,179 posts, read 1,882,922 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by e_D View Post
I was finally approved earlier this week. BG is updating some of my paperwork and in the process of handing me off to leasing. I was scheduled to see the unit and after some miscomm between BG and Ashland, I was finally allowed in to see it. I wish I had never seen the market rate units because I was a bit disappointed with the fixtures and various other things that were red flags.

No tile backsplash in the kitchen (just paint, which is going to get roughed up with cooking splashing) and a huge water stain on the wall. Was there a leak? Was it fixed? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Also the bathroom was in bad shape. Dirty, no shower head, no toilet seat, cracked mirror. I'm sure these things will be fixed ahead of move in, but it's in pretty bad taste to show a unit in this condition to a potential tenant, something I'm sure would never be allowed with the market rate units.

The unit was much smaller than expected as well, probably much better suited for a single person than a couple. Maybe the idea is for amenity space to relieve some of that tightness in particular units, but what's the point during the cold months?

Overall I'm not convinced that it's worth it in the top bracket and might decline, which hurts to think about because I've been emotionally invested in this for months.
I can totally relate, it was a really hard pill to swallow but the location is perfect for me, so I'm hoping for good news really soon.

Old 10-06-2017, 10:55 AM
e_D

86 posts, read 82,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshabrady View Post
I can totally relate, it was a really hard pill to swallow but the location is perfect for me, so I'm hoping for good news really soon.
Yeah, at this point the location, amenities, and below market stabilized rent are the points that are keeping me someone hooked in.

Old 10-06-2017, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Yeah, at this point the location, amenities, and below market stabilized rent are the points that are keeping me someone hooked in.
I was so pi**sed when after seeing my unit and honestly, if this was a random apt that I walked into off the street, I wouldn't care but I do feel like we are getting scr*wed on the finishes. They are not bad, just not like the market unit ones.

Old 10-06-2017, 11:13 AM
e_D

Quote:
I was so pi**sed when after seeing my unit and honestly, if this was a random apt that I walked into off the street, I wouldn't care but I do feel like we are getting scr*wed on the finishes. They are not bad, just not like the market unit ones.
Makes me wonder how much money they're really saving by using plain tile instead of the fancy stuff in the bathroom (also white cabinets instead of black for some reason?), skipping on the kitchen backsplash and downgrading to whirlpool appliances. I can't imagine they're saving that much, so it seems like a weird decision to finish affordable units differently.

Old 10-06-2017, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Makes me wonder how much money they're really saving by using plain tile instead of the fancy stuff in the bathroom (also white cabinets instead of black for some reason?), skipping on the kitchen backsplash and downgrading to whirlpool appliances. I can't imagine they're saving that much, so it seems like a weird decision to finish affordable units differently.

where were the white cabinets? the apt I saw had white tiles but the cabinets in the kitchen were a brownish/grey...

Old 10-06-2017, 11:23 AM

994 posts, read 1,060,925 times
Broken and missing things is what I expect from the place I ran away from in Washington Heights. Finishes, Im ok with. If this ultimately ends up being a deal breaker for you, thats scary - I havent seen a unit yet.

What band are you in @e_D? If you dont mind sharing

Last edited by MannerundKatze; 10-06-2017 at 12:02 PM..

Old 10-06-2017, 01:03 PM
e_D

Quote:
where were the white cabinets? the apt I saw had white tiles but the cabinets in the kitchen were a brownish/grey...
The bathroom cabinets were white in the unit I was shown.

@mannerundkatze I'm in the highest 1BR band for a two person household.

Old 10-06-2017, 01:19 PM

Quote:
The bathroom cabinets were white in the unit I was shown.

@mannerundkatze I'm in the highest 1BR band for a two person household.
Ah, ok. the sides were white for me too but the finishing on the front was kinda similar to the kitchen, wasn't anything exceptional but was not terrible either.

Old 10-06-2017, 01:45 PM

103 posts, read 100,784 times
Quote:
Oh no! We still haven't seen a unit so I'm a bit scared considering how much time and energy we've invested. Having a rent-stabilized apartment is really what has hooked us. The amenities are a nice plus but we've never had them before so it's not a huge deal. The location is actually a bit of a downside for us-we are in Inwood (Hey MannerundKatze!) and love our neighborhood. With two kids we just want some stability in knowing that our rent won't go up $1,000/month for next years lease.

Old 10-06-2017, 02:36 PM

994 posts, read 1,060,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lulu1704 View Post
Oh no! We still haven't seen a unit so I'm a bit scared considering how much time and energy we've invested. Having a rent-stabilized apartment is really what has hooked us. The amenities are a nice plus but we've never had them before so it's not a huge deal. The location is actually a bit of a downside for us-we are in Inwood (Hey MannerundKatze!) and love our neighborhood. With two kids we just want some stability in knowing that our rent won't go up $1,000/month for next years lease.
haha, depending on how far up you are, I'd be willing to bet that you are West of Broadway /St. Nicholas if you love it up there
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery