Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2017, 02:47 PM

74 posts, read 93,441 times

Advertisements

FYI- BACK to the wait list for me, so... I think the show's over! Someone with a lower log # than mine appealed and ended up getting the last apt in band 3. I will, however, remain on a waitlist with MHANY for 4 years, so... if any of you in Band 3 end up moving out, better leave your place in good shape for me!!!

Old 04-28-2017, 03:32 PM

30 posts, read 39,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphie96 View Post
Out of curiosity, what was the layout of the 1 bedroom? I received 2 options for 1 bedrooms, both felt rather small. I couldn't find their layouts on the website either.

I'm new to this, but it seems like they keep the smaller 1 bedrooms for the single people. There is almost no living room space in the 1 bedrooms i was shown.
I saw a K unit and N unit, one on 19 and one on 20.

The K unit had an unbelievable view, peeking out right above the barclay center into manhattan. The N unit felt larger with a south facing view. The woman showing said both were around 530 square feet. Most units I saw online were in fact much larger. It seems the affordable units are smaller as well, go figure.

Old 04-28-2017, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hope2bblessed View Post
I would say if you plan to be in that area long term it might be worth it. You can still apply for upcoming lotteries and now be part of the preferred group where you may be eligible for a cheaper one bedroom because you will have first dibs. I myself am not in love with the area so I would never pay it. I would much rather be in LIC for that price. You can find market rate 1 bed apartments for $2500 in LIC with the same amenities, midtown views and one stop away from midtown.
Thank you for this.

I can't afford LIC but I appreciate the feedback.

Old 04-28-2017, 07:42 PM

110 posts, read 214,773 times
I got an email to arrange an appointment a few days ago- I emailed back to ask re apartment availability but they haven't responded yet. It seems like there aren't one bedrooms left according to this forum and that's what I'm looking for....

Old 05-01-2017, 01:13 AM

12 posts, read 21,785 times
Wow. What an incredible thread.

Hi everyone, this is my first post. Long-time lurker though.

I applied to 461 Dean in late April 2016 and got log #20,xxx. No preferences. At this point in time, I fell into band 4 and band 5. Shortly after I applied, I was promoted at work and received a pay raise that bumped my salary a teeny bit over the max for band 5.

I received an email from MHANY last week about scheduling an interview.

I won't get my hopes up too much but we'll see. From reading through the last 30-ish pages, it seems like they're trying to fill up band 5 studios. I am really hoping for a 1br but I would still feel insanely lucky to get anything. I'll keep everyone posted.

Old 05-01-2017, 10:09 AM

33 posts, read 53,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illybilly View Post

I applied to 461 Dean in late April 2016 and got log #20,xxx. No preferences. At this point in time, I fell into band 4 and band 5. Shortly after I applied, I was promoted at work and received a pay raise that bumped my salary a teeny bit over the max for band 5.

I won't get my hopes up too much but we'll see. From reading through the last 30-ish pages, it seems like they're trying to fill up band 5 studios. I am really hoping for a 1br but I would still feel insanely lucky to get anything. I'll keep everyone posted.
My understanding is that even if you're $0.01 over the salary max, you're ineligible. I hope that I am incorrect for your sake!

Old 05-01-2017, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_k View Post
My understanding is that even if you're $0.01 over the salary max, you're ineligible. I hope that I am incorrect for your sake!
Wow. You're log 20K? I'm roughly log 4k, and I'm in the running for a studio in band 5... this is super reassuring.

Old 05-01-2017, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by illybilly View Post

The other thing to remember is that they look at ALL your sources of income. I had to provide a Venmo and PayPal summary as well, and I'm still snuggly in the correct income bracket.

If your base wage is higher than the upper limit, you might not be able to be eligible, but they can only verify income based on your current earnings.

For example, you might get fired from your job and take another gig paying 10K less. Did you actually earn above the limit? No, so you're technically within your income band *until* you break out of it.

If you provide accurate tax returns, accurate bank statements, and accurate original offer letter from your employer you may still be eligible.

Old 05-01-2017, 09:44 PM

12 posts, read 21,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorkstucco View Post
The other thing to remember is that they look at ALL your sources of income. I had to provide a Venmo and PayPal summary as well, and I'm still snuggly in the correct income bracket.

If your base wage is higher than the upper limit, you might not be able to be eligible, but they can only verify income based on your current earnings.

For example, you might get fired from your job and take another gig paying 10K less. Did you actually earn above the limit? No, so you're technically within your income band *until* you break out of it.

If you provide accurate tax returns, accurate bank statements, and accurate original offer letter from your employer you may still be eligible.

Wow! Venmo and PayPal summaries too!!? That's pretty insane.

BTW, @everyone - I called the office this morning and they told me they raised the maximum income limit so I might still be in the safe zone. Although the person I spoke with couldn't tell me what the new levels were so...

I asked about how having a savings account and a 401k would impact me and they told me that they check that to make sure that the applicant isn't some secret millionaire. I suppose that is reasonable.

I also asked about which units were leftover & how many but they said they couldn't say.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed and will post updates as often as I can. My interview is next week so I'm going to start organizing all my paperwork so I don't leave it for the last minute

Old 05-02-2017, 05:18 PM

110 posts, read 214,773 times
I have received one email from them (about organizing interview date) which I responded to twice, to no avail, and then I received a paper letter and then another email (saying exactly the same as the first one). I have tried to contact them now three times- why are they asking me repeatedly to contact them for an interview and then not responding? That doesn't make sense. Also, how can they not know which apartments are still available? That seems like a pretty straightforward thing....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery