Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2016, 10:06 AM

4 posts, read 4,823 times

Advertisements

I have not read through all 49 pages but I got an email the other day to schedule an appointment for 461 Dean Street. My log number is 11xxx. I work for the city and I am disabled so I guess that is why I was called but it seems like they've been calling people for interviews and I'm like the last out of the bunch?

My appointment is Monday and I'm trying not to be excited because I don't want get declined at the end. How was the interviews for those of you who went?

Old 10-06-2016, 10:17 AM

1,258 posts, read 1,463,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius37 View Post
I TOTALLY agree with you Sammy. But i've been cutting down the bone for a few YEARS now. There's nothing left to shave down (okay, maybe cbs all access for 5.99 a month?) ooof. I might need to have a major stoop sale or ten in the next few weeks. I have a small 401K that's not even worth 6K yet and i've been contributing to it for ten years at work and I asked if I could take out a small loan for moving expenses (they let you borrow against your 401K for a down payment on a home, but NOT a security deposit). Frustrating.

I doubt I will even be accepted, obviously they look at your bank account statements and if you have no money saved up for a security deposit why would they let you in? I've done some research and some people say if worse comes to worse, see if you can prorate the security deposit.. So let's say your apt is 1200 a month and your security deposit is 1200, see if you can pay 1300 a month. Last resort, but putting it out there.
When they look at your bank account statements, they're looking mainly for hidden assets or income you might be hiding. They don't really care what you spend your money, nor are they really judging the amount in your account. It's not up for them to judge whether you can swing a security deposit. You're reading too much into this.

Old 10-06-2016, 10:28 AM

8 posts, read 12,591 times
Thanks Moving 145. I was thinking the same thing--they can't be checking my savings to base their decision! Suddenly I felt like I needed to generate a bunch of money to put into it in case they are thinking about that sort of thing, but I do think that would be crazy. They just want to go over your bank statements to make sure you don't have more than you say--not less.

If it comes up that the apartment becomes a reality, and they offer me a lease-I will get the money within 24 hours come hell or high water. I have to pay way more in rent now as it is. My landlord wrote a letter that stated that I've lived in the same place for 7 years and am completely paid up through that whole period. I mean--obviously I've been paying my rent every month for years at a much higher rate, so I can't imagine that they would suddenly look at my savings account and then nix me. I cannot believe another month and a half before they tell anyone. That puts us right up to the holidays, and it is crazy making. Really--I wish I knew what was going on. I feel like I can't make any plans or go anywhere for the next few months, and then if it doesn't work out, I'm going to be really down and out!

Again, I don't think there is much rhyme or reason to any of this, and I do think to overthink it makes it more stressful than it already is, and this is about the most stressful thing I've had to deal with in a very long while.

Old 10-06-2016, 11:00 AM

1,258 posts, read 1,463,111 times
If you were to rush out and put more in your savings account, as you mentioned, it would raise your assets, and then you might be over income! You can't win! But again, they're scrutinizing your statements for hidden income, or assets. If you're transferring money from savings to checking, or from a brokerage account to checking, that would be fine as long as those were accounts you reported to them (that's why they often ask you the source of certain transfers on your statement). The fact that you had to make these transfers because of say, financial difficulty, is not what they're judging or gauging or caring about, as long as you fit the income bracket and all transfers come from accounts you've reported to them.

Old 10-06-2016, 11:05 AM

91 posts, read 136,706 times
Hey kimmesha1,

I understand you not wanting to read through all the pages, just as we don't want to rewrite all the information we've provided on these interviews already.

Page 14 of this thread is where we began giving our interview feedback.

You'll get what you're looking for if you start there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmesha1 View Post
I have not read through all 49 pages but I got an email the other day to schedule an appointment for 461 Dean Street. My log number is 11xxx. I work for the city and I am disabled so I guess that is why I was called but it seems like they've been calling people for interviews and I'm like the last out of the bunch?

My appointment is Monday and I'm trying not to be excited because I don't want get declined at the end. How was the interviews for those of you who went?

Old 10-06-2016, 11:15 AM

36 posts, read 60,442 times
Hi all,
461 Dean is all over the news today. Trouble with construction during the development of 461 led the developer to exit the modular business line - I really hope this doesn't signal long-term problems with the building itself.

E.g: Developer That

A highlight from that article:
"The decision came as the developer completed construction of the tallest prefabricated steel structure in the world, a 32-story tower at 461 Dean Street in the Pacific Park complex in Brooklyn, which is weeks away from receiving its first tenants."

Weeks away! Hopefully that's some of us.

Old 10-06-2016, 01:00 PM

4 posts, read 6,615 times
hi folks.
been a fan since page 1.
I'm. 13,xxx. log#.
community board pref.
I got rejection August 15.
scheduled appeal sept 3.
had income too high on website
income is too low because
I freelance / self employed.
so they go by Net. not gross income.
was told to apply anyway.
all in on data.
checklist good.
BUT
they never asked me to sign
a credit check permission.
has all of you been asked for credit check signature ??
perhaps that's the difference
between waiting list and not ?
also. perhaps we should call it data intake appointment.
the interviews are the second round, no ?

Old 10-06-2016, 01:03 PM

246 posts, read 485,948 times
I don't remember if i signed a credit check letter. I signed a few documents. And I don't think there is a second interview. the first was it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdmdmd3 View Post
hi folks.
been a fan since page 1.
I'm. 13,xxx. log#.
community board pref.
I got rejection August 15.
scheduled appeal sept 3.
had income too high on website
income is too low because
I freelance / self employed.
so they go by Net. not gross income.
was told to apply anyway.
all in on data.
checklist good.
BUT
they never asked me to sign
a credit check permission.
has all of you been asked for credit check signature ??
perhaps that's the difference
between waiting list and not ?
also. perhaps we should call it data intake appointment.
the interviews are the second round, no ?

Old 10-06-2016, 01:50 PM

18 posts, read 25,916 times
I remember them asking for a credit check signature, and I specifically remember hearing them say that they will not run your credit if they know you will be rejected and sadly I check my credit periodically hoping that have ran mine lol

Old 10-06-2016, 02:37 PM

186 posts, read 264,184 times
I signed a credit check form as well. I've also checked my credit report to see if they've ran mine. haha.

They haven't yet. Anybody here apply for 535 Carlton? Those log numbers posted today.

Last edited by ComaLiving; 10-06-2016 at 02:47 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery