Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2022, 03:27 PM

290 posts, read 274,845 times

Advertisements

Interesting that all of us were "Not Selected" for Ruppert and we are all waiting on Village East. Good luck everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2022, 06:29 AM

828 posts, read 768,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildAboutHarry View Post
I don’t doubt your experience. However, my experience was the opposite. The process was well underway with private communications to an applicant with log# provided; only months later did the log # post online. I can’t explain why.
Can you help me understand the process? I received a log number in the 50s for a Village East Towers 3br. I am guessing that, with such a low log # I will be contacted to fill out an application.

So, this application is not for a unit, but rather to be put on the waitlist? So theoretically, if I am accepted to the waitlist, I could wait a few days or even a few years...or never hear at all?

Thanks, as always, for sharing your knowledge!

Old 05-19-2022, 07:03 AM

87 posts, read 119,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPC1999 View Post
Can you help me understand the process? I received a log number in the 50s for a Village East Towers 3br. I am guessing that, with such a low log # I will be contacted to fill out an application.

So, this application is not for a unit, but rather to be put on the waitlist? So theoretically, if I am accepted to the waitlist, I could wait a few days or even a few years...or never hear at all?

Thanks, as always, for sharing your knowledge!
Everyone who receives a log number is sent an application. You typically have about 4 weeks to return your application with an application fee, typically $75 to $200. Keep in mind that not everyone who received an application will return it with the fee. This means that you will likely have less people ahead of you on the list than your original log number indicates.

However, when they start calling people from the list, they will call all veterans first. So a vet with a 299 log number will be called for an apartment before you.

There's also an internal list of people currently living in smaller apartments in the building who want to move into a 3-bedroom unit because their family composition has changed. These people will also be notified of an available 3-bedroom before they reach out to the external list.

How long you'll have to wait to be called to see an apartment depends on the building. I received a log# of 14x for a 1 bedroom in a building on the LES in 2014. Every time I called, the management office told me that my wait would be 2 to 3 years. As of 2022, they are only up to #73.

I don't want to frustrate you, but the 3-bedroom list in most buildings moves very slowly because most units go to the internal list. There are also usually less 3-bedroom apartments than smaller ones. But you never know.

Patience is key with Mitchell Lama buildings.

Old 05-19-2022, 07:05 AM

That is correct and Congrats to you. You will be placed on the waitlist and as units become available you will be contacted for an apartment. In the near future, you should receive a preliminary application to complete and you will be asked to send in a $75 fee to hold your place on the waitlist. Good Luck!

Old 05-19-2022, 07:08 AM

Thanks for the insights - very helpful. I think that by the time they get to me regarding a 3br, my family of 5 will have shrunk to a family of 2, as the kids grow and move out. lol

Old 05-19-2022, 07:09 AM

2,862 posts, read 2,396,164 times
So I will not be banking on this one for at least two years…

Old 05-19-2022, 08:15 AM

You never know. Many people with largish families are leaving the city fearing that it is unsafe.

Old 05-19-2022, 01:30 PM

2,013 posts, read 1,631,017 times
A City source says, Village East Towers is 427 units. Another source says 394, but does not mention Townhouses, it does say there are 18 Three-bedroom units.

“Residential Co-op
Village East Towers comprises three buildings, 25 stories, 21 stories and 10 stories, for a total of 436,435 square foot of residential space as well as private covered garage.

The 394 apartments consist of 39 Studio, 185 One-Bedroom, 152 Two-Bedroom apartments, and 18 Three-Bedroom units. Common areas at Village East include a management office, swimming pool area, laundry room, lobby, compactor room, and utility room. Three elevators serve the building residents.

Windows are double insulated,, aluminum pane. The building envelope is constructed of 4" brick and concrete block with balconies on all four side of the building from the 3rd through the 25th floors.”

Source:
https://www.manta.com/c/mm05mwd/village-east-towers-inc

Old 05-19-2022, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildAboutHarry View Post
A City source says, Village East Towers is 427 units. Another source says 394, but does not mention Townhouses, it does say there are 18 Three-bedroom units.

“Residential Co-op
Village East Towers comprises three buildings, 25 stories, 21 stories and 10 stories, for a total of 436,435 square foot of residential space as well as private covered garage.

The 394 apartments consist of 39 Studio, 185 One-Bedroom, 152 Two-Bedroom apartments, and 18 Three-Bedroom units. Common areas at Village East include a management office, swimming pool area, laundry room, lobby, compactor room, and utility room. Three elevators serve the building residents.

Windows are double insulated,, aluminum pane. The building envelope is constructed of 4" brick and concrete block with balconies on all four side of the building from the 3rd through the 25th floors.”

Source:
https://www.manta.com/c/mm05mwd/village-east-towers-inc
Interesting that they would open a lottery for 3br units with only 18 in the entire complex. Maybe most of the current 3br occupants are beginning to 'expire'?

Old 05-19-2022, 03:39 PM

2,013 posts, read 1,631,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPC1999 View Post
Interesting that they would open a lottery for 3br units with only 18 in the entire complex. Maybe most of the current 3br occupants are beginning to 'expire'?
I suppose the regulations require that they have a waitlist. It seems very likely this is not the first 3B waitlist as the building is several decades old. It possible some original residents or their children or grandchildren are still residing there. The building might be getting to the end of an existing waitlist.

This is likely a long game to play but with a massive prize at the end.

Other buildings contact their waitlists periodically to ask if applicants are still interested. If the get a low response rate it might motivate them to begin a new list.

I suggest you pay the $75 and send in your application. Whatever you log# is it’s likely that there are fewer than that number ahead of you for that lottery due to high attrition rate. However, with just 18 units that makes the wait longer.

C19 and it’s effects including working from home might increase turnover. Also, recent changes make it more difficult for any Mitchell-Lama building to go private, so any unit holders who were hanging on hoping for profitable opportunities no longer have that incentive to hang onto their units.

If the opportunity to buy a unit here comes you will want to have money saved for it. Depending on your circumstances there can be clever ways of doing this besides just a cash saving account.

You only have to be a NY State resident to be eligible, beside the income limits. When the offer comes it’s will be a huge bargain, attractive even if it meant moving from Westchester or LI. The source I posted earlier today mentions a parking garage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery