Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2022, 10:11 AM

268 posts, read 304,741 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc2003 View Post
Do you qualify for both, based on your household size?

I got “not selected” again, for the one-bedroom. I'll add it to my collection.
Yes. If I decide to stay with my whole family (5 of us) we will all move. For the 1 bedroom it would be just my son and I.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2022, 10:11 AM

4,771 posts, read 6,560,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjg713 View Post
Can anyone explain what exactly the waiting list means? Are they just calling people for apsrtments that open up based on their number? Or is there a set amount of apartments already open for low log numbers?
This is an established complex, with all apartments occupied, one would assume.

I don't think there would be a bunch of apartments vacant, because the co-op would lose money if the monthly fees aren't being paid by anyone.

So a wait list is merely people who will be called, in order, when apartments of the correct size open up.

It's good to get on these Mitchell Lama lists, but you could be waiting for years—or decades even. A strategy would be to get on as many lists as you can and hope that you get a low number.

Old 04-21-2022, 10:19 AM

2,013 posts, read 1,631,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjg713 View Post
Can anyone explain what exactly the waiting list means? Are they just calling people for apsrtments that open up based on their number? Or is there a set amount of apartments already open for low log numbers?
Waiting list means different things in different lotteries. In the case of Village East Towers it’s a long existing Mitchell-Lama co-op. It can be assumed that under normal circumstances, any wait list is for vacancies if and when the occur. Mitchell-Lama buildings tend to be excellent values so turnover of units is slow. There could be people living there still who were the first residents in their unit. Applicants wait years for a vacancy, more years if it’s a rare unit type such as a three bedroom.

The lottery for this Village East Towers waiting list could be for a list to succeed a list they are working from now.

My guess is Village East Towers anticipates exhausting an existing list and vacancies to occur in the future.

For new construction buildings, all the units are vacant. So the lottery is for a group of units in the lottery. A building might be all lottery units or just a required portion of units.

Mitchell-Lama lotteries in recent years seem to draw a maximum number of log#s for each unit type. This is sensible in my opinion.

Some Mitchell-Lama let applicants go on Hold and/or pass on unit when it’s is offered. In the case of a co-op an applicant might need time to raise funds or get financed. Typically, there is limit doing this.

Old 04-21-2022, 01:11 PM

59 posts, read 58,090 times
Still showing "Tenant Selection in Progress" for the 1 bed. Wonder why someone has "Not Selected" already for the 1-bed while some of us are still waiting for our verdicts...!

Old 04-21-2022, 02:03 PM

1,408 posts, read 2,032,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg-ev View Post
Still showing "Tenant Selection in Progress" for the 1 bed. Wonder why someone has "Not Selected" already for the 1-bed while some of us are still waiting for our verdicts...!
Well at least we still have hope then!

Old 04-22-2022, 09:54 AM

5 posts, read 7,454 times
Has anyone gotten anything in the mail or via email?

Old 04-22-2022, 09:56 AM

4,771 posts, read 6,560,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg-ev View Post
It's possible I looked at a previous entry on the list, because I'm not seeing it now. I'm sorry for posting misleading info!

Old 04-22-2022, 12:28 PM

59 posts, read 58,090 times
@slope35, nothing yet via postal mail/mitchell lama connect/email...

@macnyc2003, all good, I'm just happy for you that you got on a waitlist somewhere! Lol. We should all hope to be so lucky!

Old 04-23-2022, 02:16 PM

290 posts, read 274,845 times
Nothing yet! Maybe this week.

Old 04-29-2022, 09:35 AM

2 posts, read 2,476 times
"Lottery Pending" Now.

Log# will soon?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery