Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2020, 10:32 AM

30 posts, read 71,088 times

Advertisements

Im 40 for a two bedroom. Do yall think its a long wait after this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2020, 10:44 AM

10 posts, read 14,841 times
Default village east towers

Has anyone on here been accepted for an apt in these towers? Do you know how many apts they have available?

Old 02-22-2020, 11:04 AM

67 posts, read 105,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronxgirl6 View Post
Did anyone get contacted by email or just USPS?
They're only mailing applications. It's stated on the original advertisement that applications will be sent via mail.
If you don't get a letter by next week, it's probably best to assume you weren't selected in the lottery.

Old 02-22-2020, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chelseasminesnow View Post
They're only mailing applications. It's stated on the original advertisement that applications will be sent via mail.
If you don't get a letter by next week, it's probably best to assume you weren't selected in the lottery.

So if you get a letter, you have a good chance of getting an apt depending on your number?

Old 02-22-2020, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadypinesma View Post
To be honest, it depends.

In my ML we're free to do any construction we want as long as we don't remove load bearing walls.

In terms of maintenance and such I can't fault that person who is doing the review. If something is going on that is that bad so as to cause water leaking from the ceiling, it's absolutely up to management to fix that. We had our ceiling cave in because of our upstairs neighbor leaving water on repeatedly and over a long period of time and management fixed it right away. We've had cracked bathroom tiles and they've fixed it. We've had peeling walls due to water damage and they've fixed it, etc. Anything that's that serious is usually taken care of by management.

Do you have a ML in village east towers?

Old 02-22-2020, 02:03 PM

5 posts, read 7,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elicamb View Post
I followed your lead and used Google maps around Szold Pl. It looks like the town house apartments have private outdoor space.

The brick looks different than the building's and kind of short. So I wonder if it was done to protect against floods.

If you zoom on satellite view you can see the outdoor space.

https://goo.gl/maps/QtVbNApma3zTQ8U46

I think "townhouses" might just mean one-bedrooms. I just walked past the building and there don't seem to be enough of these private two-story "townhouses" to justify a 300 person waitlist. I could be wrong, but it would be strange to not open the waitlist for other one bedrooms in the complex. The advertisement says "There will be a limit of 300 applicants drawn for each bedroom size from the supervised lottery." It might just be a quirky way to say one-bedroom. And It appears that (almost) all of the units have some sort of outdoor space. From Google Maps, it seems like there are 8 balconies per building per floor. The Penn South buildings are similar in size and have 8 or 9 units / floor with ~6 balconies / floor.

I'm on the Penn South (studio) and Village East (townhouse) wait lists. I'm not sure which would be better to live in.

Old 02-22-2020, 02:13 PM

5 posts, read 7,221 times
It also appears that there is an indoor pool???

https://villageeastswimclub.com/

Old 02-22-2020, 04:19 PM

67 posts, read 105,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmicha01 View Post
So if you get a letter, you have a good chance of getting an apt depending on your number?
If you received a letter, you can add yourself to the waiting list and become an applicant, as long as you meet the qualifying criteria for the lottery you were drawn for. This is for the waiting list to purchase an apartment. The "chance" depends on your own qualification for the apartment and waiting it out.

Old 02-22-2020, 05:34 PM

1,339 posts, read 1,685,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lesdweller View Post
I think "townhouses" might just mean one-bedrooms. I just walked past the building and there don't seem to be enough of these private two-story "townhouses" to justify a 300 person waitlist. I could be wrong, but it would be strange to not open the waitlist for other one bedrooms in the complex. The advertisement says "There will be a limit of 300 applicants drawn for each bedroom size from the supervised lottery." It might just be a quirky way to say one-bedroom. And It appears that (almost) all of the units have some sort of outdoor space. From Google Maps, it seems like there are 8 balconies per building per floor. The Penn South buildings are similar in size and have 8 or 9 units / floor with ~6 balconies / floor.

I'm on the Penn South (studio) and Village East (townhouse) wait lists. I'm not sure which would be better to live in.
I personally do not like the area Village East is in but would take cheap rent anywhere in a heartbeat. I'm just not a "downtown" kind of girl. I'm on the wait list for York Hill which is in Yorkville/Upper East Side and that is much more my speed, as well as Independence House which is on the UWS.

I'm also on the list for Penn South and I'd much rather be in Chelsea than Alphabet City, but everyone is different! Out of all of them my preferred location is UES and I would 100% leave Penn South after moving in for York Hill.

Old 02-22-2020, 07:00 PM

5 posts, read 7,185 times
Does anyone know how the log number impacts your wait time? I received a log number of 159 for a 2 bedroom. I know the deadline to submit the application is March 20th, but I’m curious if when I send it before then also impacts wait time. Is the log number your number in line?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery