Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2020, 08:51 AM

1,339 posts, read 1,688,170 times

Advertisements

Were you chosen for two apartment sizes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2020, 10:48 AM

14 posts, read 18,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ishallnotbenamed View Post
It matters to me because I’m not in a good living situation at the moment, so I need to know which one moves the fastest.
From what I heard from management, it first depends on the availability of the unit that fits your requirements. From there, they will go down the log in order based off of your application #and reach out to applicants that fit the requirements for available units in each category.

Old 02-25-2020, 12:11 PM

4,783 posts, read 6,589,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ishallnotbenamed View Post
Which wait list do you guys think moves fastest, medium, and slowest?
Assuming you have a choice as to which list you're on, you would have to find out, at least in theory:

1) How many units of each size become available each year, and

2) How many people on the waiting list ahead of you are likely to want that unit and qualify for that unit.

But there are always unknowns to this process:

For instance, this lottery didn't say one-bedrooms, it said townhouses. So what does that mean? Are there one-bedrooms in the towers? I would assume yes. If so, are those included in the lottery, or only townhouse one-bedrooms?

Only management would be able to tell you at the present time.

Short of that, if you can find floor plans online, you can see which size apartment is more numerous on each floor.

For instance, Penn South releases the number of each size unit that become vacant in a calendar year. From there you can roughly calculate how long you would have to wait.

Later on, when other people start getting called, assuming that their number is lower than yours, you can compare notes if they participate on this BBS. That is the value of City Data. Good luck!

Old 02-25-2020, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc2003 View Post
Assuming you have a choice as to which list you're on, you would have to find out, at least in theory:

1) How many units of each size become available each year, and

2) How many people on the waiting list ahead of you are likely to want that unit and qualify for that unit.

But there are always unknowns to this process:

For instance, this lottery didn't say one-bedrooms, it said townhouses. So what does that mean? Are there one-bedrooms in the towers? I would assume yes. If so, are those included in the lottery, or only townhouse one-bedrooms?

Only management would be able to tell you at the present time.

Short of that, if you can find floor plans online, you can see which size apartment is more numerous on each floor.

For instance, Penn South releases the number of each size unit that become vacant in a calendar year. From there you can roughly calculate how long you would have to wait.

Later on, when other people start getting called, assuming that their number is lower than yours, you can compare notes if they participate on this BBS. That is the value of City Data. Good luck!
Hey, where would the information be for the available units in the calendar year?

Old 02-25-2020, 07:20 PM

In the case of Penn South, that information is on the website that’s available to people on the waiting list. In the case of Village East, I don’t know if there is a website for waiting list people and even if that info would be given out. You can try calling the office.

In short, you need to be comfortable with not knowing. Basically you are asking people to predict the future. Who knows what’s going to happen? Suppose usually 10 apartments a year become available. But that could change. One year, maybe three. The next year, 12.

What some people do is get on as many lists as possible and hope to get called by someone!

Old 02-26-2020, 12:50 AM

Are you saying it is ok to apply for two different lists within the same building, if you are selected from the initial lottery for both?

Old 02-26-2020, 01:01 AM

No. I meant to get on lists for different buildings.

Old 02-26-2020, 01:11 AM

Thanks for the quick reply and really appreciate your insight on this as I am new. Have you fully gone through the process yourself?

Side question - reading the what to expect guidelines per the Mitchell Lama site, it says they reach out to applicants in order of log #. What's weird is that I see the last number approved within the same unit size I applied to be significantly higher than mine (3xxx), which also happens to be pretty recent. Any idea what is going on here?

Old 02-26-2020, 03:08 AM

1,339 posts, read 1,688,170 times
It means they had a previous lottery and are finishing up from that lottery. Nobody but the development knows how high the log numbers go for the previous lottery so the best thing to do is call them.

Last edited by shadypinesma; 02-26-2020 at 03:46 AM..

Old 02-26-2020, 06:37 AM

61 posts, read 65,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesshelby View Post
Thanks for the reply, much appreciated! The person I called this morning in regards to the overall application also said "15 years". I assume they're just really going along with whatever the internet is saying as well. Hopefully, none of the corruption shenanigans is still going on and that all of us have an equal chance to obtaining a residence.

Good day! @Nixom
I called again about the wait list time, she basically said at this time they don't know and will not know until after all the responses are received. Much to my surprise, she said not everyone sent a letter applies and advised to call back after April when they will have a better idea of the wait time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery