Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2022, 05:18 PM

430 posts, read 507,682 times

Advertisements

To update everyone. The coop board implemented a 90-day limit to secure financing.

Effective January 1, 2022 place a time limit of 90-days from the acceptance of the application for applicants to fully secure financing and be prepared to complete the purchase of the apartment. Applicants who do not meet the 90-day deadline will be required to pay an additional loan processing fee each month until the purchase is completed or terminated, absent delays not caused by the applicant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2022, 08:04 AM

5 posts, read 8,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc2003 View Post
That's great! Did you see a good mix of apartments? Any balconies? My daughter is in the 120s on the list, and I'm helping her.
I saw G, E, and A apartments, no balconies. It was majority G, which I think are the smallest of the 1 bedrooms.

Old 01-21-2022, 10:30 AM

4,783 posts, read 6,595,747 times
Wow, Queen of Queens (love that name!) are you saying the the closet just gets switched to open from the living room instead of the bedroom or that people will actually be using the living room to sleep in and the bedroom as the living room? I just can't picture that.

https://static.pennsouth.coop/floor_...left_typ_g.pdf

Old 01-21-2022, 03:54 PM

I haven't actually been in a G apartment, but it sounds like a dubious plan to me. The amount of light must vary among apartments, based on which direction the unit faces and what floor it's on. Plus, many PS apartments have that same corner-window setup, so basically all of those apartments have the same problem?

But as I said, if I were in the space, maybe I would reconsider. Let's see what my daughter gets offered, when her number is reached.

And pasneb, I would also be interested in what Queen of Queens asked earlier. Thanks for any info!

Quote:
What were the apartments themselves like? Did they range in quality, as in some had bad kitchens/bathrooms/fixtures and others didn't? I have heard the G is the smallest 1 bedroom as well, but I have also heard that the coop is allowing people to break down the closet in the bedroom and make that into the living room, and make the living room into the bedroom. It might help with the lack of light in the living room currently.

Old 01-21-2022, 06:31 PM

Yes, the H seems like a great layout!

With the G, how about removing the doors on the big closet and making a kind of niche for a bed?

Old 01-25-2022, 07:17 PM

41 posts, read 57,021 times
I have a friend who lives in an E-line apartment in a single-core building. The living room is somewhat similar to that of the G-line apartment in a double-core building. She has south and west exposure, and has the corner window as well. It actually gets a nice degree of light when her blinds are up, even considering that her walls are somewhat of a tan color. If someone were to use a bright white paint on the walls, that might also give the room a more airy feeling. The living room is a nice size, and has plenty of room to hang art, if so desired. I’ve never been in a G apartment before, so I can’t speak to how the rooms might be reconfigured. My friend’s E apartment also has a small windowed kitchen which is accessed through the living room, differing from the G kitchen which has no window.

Last edited by ChelseaRez; 01-25-2022 at 07:34 PM..

Old 01-26-2022, 07:58 AM

Yes, the E is a very nice one-bedroom, and I think you get a lot of space for the money with that floor plan. The living room is huge!

Just a heads-up for people waiting to be called to see apartments: Don't wait for the pre-screening notice to show up on the waiting list page: Check your regular, physical mail every day.

Last edited by macnyc2003; 01-26-2022 at 08:14 AM..

Old 01-27-2022, 01:51 PM

I had a fun but exhausting morning touring seven one-bedrooms with my daughter and her husband.

The buildings were spotless, and the residents we encountered friendly and helpful. They all said how much they like living there and how well the buildings are maintained. And one resident pointed out that a building going up on 23rd and Eighth will be blocking views and light. That's Manhattan! They all seemed very welcoming to a young couple who are potential cooperators. The laundry rooms, especially in the double-core buildings, were huge and clean.

There's a lot of facade work being done now and scaffolding is extensive. In one case, in a low-floor apartment we saw, the scaffolding ran right outside the windows. I wonder how long this project is going to take.

We were pleasantly surprised by how cheerful the apartments are. Of course it helped that we were touring on a bright, sunny day. All were freshly painted bright white, with the floors refinished and stained a light color. Three of the units had new wood plank floors.

Of the bathrooms, all were in good shape, with three of them renovated in a low-key way with white tile with either black or gray accents.

Another pleasant surprise was how spacious the G apartments are. I noticed that the bedroom was wider than I had envisioned from the floor plans. The G bedroom is a full 10 feet wide and 17 feet long, plenty of room, even if a person has to put a desk in there to work from home. Great closets too. Yes, the kitchen is tiny!

The windows are pretty much soundproof, which we tested because two of the apartments are right on an avenue.

Of course my daughter has to see what she is offered since she is pretty low on the list for this particular batch, but the three of us left Penn South feeling very happy about the prospects.

Last edited by macnyc2003; 01-27-2022 at 02:20 PM..

Old 01-27-2022, 02:01 PM

2 posts, read 4,045 times
I'm currently in the 170s on the 1-bedroom list. Haven't gotten pre-screening yet in the mail, looking forward to getting that soon it seems! There seems to be a lot of action in the lower 100s of the 1-bedroom list. Anybody around me get asked about the pre-screening for 1-bedroom yet?

Old 01-27-2022, 02:40 PM

My daughter was not pre-screened. She just received a letter in the mail inviting her to view apartments. I don't know if she fell though the cracks, or if PS decided not to continue doing it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery