Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2022, 07:21 PM

4,793 posts, read 6,623,234 times

Advertisements

A private garden—with a barbecue—at Penn South. It’s an unfair allotment of resources that’s “a brazen coup amid the cucumbers”! It seems odd to me that the board refuses to address the situation.

https://thevillagesun.com/privilege-...ime-membership
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2022, 02:19 PM

38 posts, read 116,062 times
Does anyone know how long it takes on average to be invited back for another round of viewings? I too was invited to see apartments last month (like those listed in recent comments above) and since I was pretty high up on the viewing list for only 6 apts, I doubt I would be offered this round. Obviously I’m pretty anxious to keep it moving

Old 02-23-2022, 02:24 PM

5,753 posts, read 2,654,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc2003 View Post
A private garden—with a barbecue—at Penn South. It’s an unfair allotment of resources that’s “a brazen coup amid the cucumbers”! It seems odd to me that the board refuses to address the situation.

https://thevillagesun.com/privilege-...ime-membership
Wow. makes me sad to read this. It's like everything is corrupt.

Old 02-23-2022, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennSouthGroupie View Post
Does anyone know how long it takes on average to be invited back for another round of viewings? I too was invited to see apartments last month (like those listed in recent comments above) and since I was pretty high up on the viewing list for only 6 apts, I doubt I would be offered this round. Obviously I’m pretty anxious to keep it moving

I would say it takes about a month, depending on how low/high you were in the last batch. My daughter hasn't heard anything yet. She was in the mid-teens for a batch of seven one-bedrooms, and she preemptively rejected one of those. I wonder if you were in the same round as my daughter! There seem to be multiple batches.

Old 03-03-2022, 04:17 PM

38 posts, read 116,062 times
Major jumpage on the 1-bdr list today.

Old 03-03-2022, 08:04 PM

107 posts, read 179,297 times
Quote:
On the 2 bedroom list too.

Old 03-03-2022, 11:32 PM

23 posts, read 29,492 times
Quote:
Up 30 spots on the one bedroom! I’m now at 270s And I was already up a bunch just prior. Looking at the gaps I’m guessing many are switching from active to on hold. I wonder if this has to do with dwindled income during Covid? I’m concerned myself. I never thought I’d say it’s moving TOO quick.

I’ve read somewhere, can’t find it now, that you need 4x the monthly maintenance as a minimum income. Plus, it needs to go back two years of tax returns. What are the different monthly fees right now for the variety of 1 bedrooms?

Old 03-04-2022, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSReidNYC View Post
Up 30 spots on the one bedroom! I’m now at 270s And I was already up a bunch just prior. Looking at the gaps I’m guessing many are switching from active to on hold. I wonder if this has to do with dwindled income during Covid? I’m concerned myself. I never thought I’d say it’s moving TOO quick.

I’ve read somewhere, can’t find it now, that you need 4x the monthly maintenance as a minimum income. Plus, it needs to go back two years of tax returns. What are the different monthly fees right now for the variety of 1 bedrooms?
The monthly fees vary by the size of the apartment and the location within the building. Higher floors cost more. For the G line, which is the smallest one-bedroom, the monthly fees for the four apartments we saw ranged from under $600 to about $650, all on low-ish floors, and the larger apartments, A and C (no balcony) lines, low floors, were I think $720.

The G is considered to be three rooms, and the A is three and a half. The C line we saw was on a low floor and didn’t have a balcony. That was also considered to be three and a half rooms.

Also, about the number of applicants being placed on hold: I had read that PS’s new policy is that if you don’t reply in a timely manner to the first letter sent to you about apartment availability, you get placed on hold. If you don’t reply to a follow-up letter, you get thrown off the list.

So I believe that’s what’s happening. I think people on the list have either moved, died, or are no longer interested. Also, maybe some people who aren’t ready to move think that by ignoring the letter, they will get sent another offer at some time in the future. Obviously, if they actually read the letter, they would find out that’s not the case.

Or perhaps our crippled post office is not delivering the letters.

Last edited by macnyc2003; 03-04-2022 at 05:31 AM..

Old 03-04-2022, 05:30 AM

107 posts, read 179,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc2003 View Post
The monthly fees vary by the size of the apartment and the location within the building. Higher floors cost more. For the G line, which is the smallest one-bedroom, the monthly fees for the four apartments I saw ranged from under $600 to about $650, all on low-ish floors, and the larger apartments, A and C (no balcony) lines, low floors, were I think $720.

The G is considered to be three rooms, and the A is three and a half. The C line we saw was on a low floor and didn’t have a balcony. That was also considered to be three and a half rooms.

Also, about the number of applicants being placed on hold: I had read that PS’s new policy is that if you don’t reply in a timely manner to the first letter sent to you about apartment availability, you get placed on hold. So I believe that’s what’s happening. I think people on the lists have either moved, died, or are no longer interested. Or perhaps our crippled post office is not delivering the letters.

That’s probably it, macnyc2003. My position on the total list stayed the same, although I moved up 14 places on the active list. Also, the active list now begins with an application from 1989 (!) instead of 1982 (!!).

Old 03-04-2022, 10:20 AM

5,753 posts, read 2,654,926 times
Studio List doesn't have much activity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery