Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2022, 11:15 PM

41 posts, read 56,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sSitcom View Post
Curious what owners do regarding bathroom storage. Since the sinks are old school with no cabinet underneath, do you install one, put up shelves etc...
You could install a cabinet style sink. I put a wall cabinet above the toilet but also have an armoire in the dressing area where I keep towels, soap, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2022, 12:35 PM

30 posts, read 42,450 times
I got offered an apartment, but it's one that was my least favorite. I can reject once right, and still be considered for future ones?

Old 04-29-2022, 01:25 PM

2,034 posts, read 1,648,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityboyz212 View Post
I got offered an apartment, but it's one that was my least favorite. I can reject once right, and still be considered for future ones?
I hope you get good advice here. However, unless someone says they work for Penn South you have to consider that. Be sure you verify policies with the Office.

I don’t know the facts, and particularly so at Penn South. But, does the offer go out to JUST YOU or is it made to several people at once? If the offer goes to several people at once, you might wait a bit before answering YES or NO if do someone else might claim it and you don’t burn your option to reject it. Likely, if you don’t answer counts as your rejection. As, I said, I don’t know if this is the case at PennSouth.

I also don’t know if do take the unit what your options are to change units in the future.

Does PennSouth let you freeze your application? For how long? And with what consequences?

Such units tend to be very good values. Before rejecting it considered if you’d be saving money every month while you live there.

Old 04-29-2022, 03:58 PM

4,776 posts, read 6,577,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityboyz212 View Post
Yes, I believe you are allowed to reject one. It should say that in your documents, IN ALL CAPITAL LETTERS AND UNDERLINED.

To be on the safe side, confirm with the office.

By all means, if you can reject one and stay on the list, don't hesitate to do that.

If the office says it's okay that you reject one, that means you will go to the next round, and see a new batch of apartments. And you will be higher up on that list to choose among that batch. So possibly you will have the choice of more than one.

If you're not in a hurry to move, going to the next round is a good thing.

Also, keep in mind that after three years as a resident in Penn South, you can go on the insider transfer list and be able to specify which building(s) you want, which line(s) you want. True, it's a pain to move, but at least you don't have to stay in an apartment you don't like.

I think it's very common for newcomers to Penn South to get the less desirable units.

My daughter was offered one apartment, and she accepted it. Fortunately, it's in a location she likes, but it's the smallest one-bedroom line. After three years, she and her husband intend to transfer. They really want the large kitchen!

If you have any other questions, feel free to DM me.

Old 04-29-2022, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc2003 View Post
Yes, I believe you are allowed to reject one. It should say that in your documents, IN ALL CAPITAL LETTERS AND UNDERLINED.

To be on the safe side, confirm with the office.

By all means, if you can reject one and stay on the list, don't hesitate to do that.

If the office says it's okay that you reject one, that means you will go to the next round, and see a new batch of apartments. And you will be higher up on that list to choose among that batch. So possibly you will have the choice of more than one.

If you're not in a hurry to move, going to the next round is a good thing.

Also, keep in mind that after three years as a resident in Penn South, you can go on the insider transfer list and be able to specify which building(s) you want, which line(s) you want. True, it's a pain to move, but at least you don't have to stay in an apartment you don't like.

I think it's very common for newcomers to Penn South to get the less desirable units.

My daughter was offered one apartment, and she accepted it. Fortunately, it's in a location she likes, but it's the smallest one-bedroom line. After three years, she and her husband intend to transfer. They really want the large kitchen!

If you have any other questions, feel free to DM me.
thanks thats so helpful. i like the layout, but the other apartments had amazing views and this one faced the courtyard and i wasn't into it.

Old 04-29-2022, 04:29 PM

You were lucky, as I recall, and had some really nice apartments in your batch. So maybe it raised your expectations! My daughter didn’t see any with amazing views.

So either accept this one and transfer in three years, or turn it down and see some more apartments! Either way you win, because PS is the best deal in Manhattan.

Is it in a location you like? Facing the courtyard might be better than facing Eighth or Ninth avenues.

Old 04-29-2022, 05:49 PM

The location is ok. It's just seemed darker in this one and close to another building. Maybe I'm being spoiled, but I'll try again I think.

Is your daughter on a high floor?

Old 04-29-2022, 06:52 PM

My daughter will be on the sixth floor. She’s happy with that. She likes being able to walk up and down and not have to wait for the elevator. What floor will you be on?

Old 05-07-2022, 10:18 AM

7 posts, read 10,588 times
I'm in the 110s currently for a 1 bedroom. Any word on approximately where they are at with 1 bedrooms? Hoping for a letter to go see apartments this year!

Old 05-07-2022, 01:13 PM

38 posts, read 115,185 times
You’ll probably start to get called soon. I was called when I hit exactly 100.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery