Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2022, 04:26 PM

4,783 posts, read 6,589,702 times

Advertisements

Yes!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2022, 06:40 PM

2,044 posts, read 1,662,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontworryboutathing View Post
When I take myself off hold, is it conceivable that I'll view an apartment right away with my number?
What is meant by ‘right away’?

Perhaps, if there happens to be a vacancy at the time you would get a viewing quickly. If not, it seems like you need to wait for a vacancy even if you are the lowest log#.

Another thing to consider, there might be log#s lower than yours that are also on hold. If lower log#s come off of hold before you do that might effect the order in which you get to view an apartment.

Save aggressively. Explore options. If you are a certain age (59 1/2?) you can use retirement funds without penalties for purchase of a home. Spending retirement funds early for a Co-op should not be a capricious decision. However, run the math to see how much you might save by not paying rent, and being vulnerable to sudden large increases in housing costs. I believe some portion of your monthly co-op fee is tax deductible.

Look at the rules for tax free gifts of money.

The sooner you get into Penn South the sooner you get the benefits of it.

Good luck.

Old 06-08-2022, 09:30 PM

41 posts, read 57,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontworryboutathing View Post
Hi all! I am number 42 on the one bedroom list but on hold while I cobble together the total price for the apartment. I'm not really comfortable with paying rent (carrying charges) plus a mortgage so I'm happy to be on hold for now.

When I take myself off hold, is it conceivable that I'll view an apartment right away with my number?
Yes, it is conceivable, and that’s exactly what happened to me. I had sold my co-op, and was living in an AirBNB apartment. The day after I sold my place, I went to The PS mgmt. office and took my application off hold. About 5 weeks later I viewed an apartment, then closed on it in two weeks. Good luck!

Old 06-09-2022, 07:51 AM

Best of luck to all those who will see another round of apartments soon!

I want to point out that the facade work in the southern part of the complex is finished, and the scaffolding is being taken down now. But the buildings north of 26th Street will be just beginning. So if you happen to look at any apartments up there on floor 1, keep in mind that the top of the sidewalk shed might come right up against the windows of the apartment, depending on where the unit is located within the building.

In an A unit we saw, the sidewalk shed really affected the windows. Other apartments may have ropes hanging down, but this won't be as impactful as the sidewalk sheds.

I don't know how long phase 2 will last, but I would say at least one year.

Just something to keep in mind. Have fun looking at apartments!

Last edited by macnyc2003; 06-09-2022 at 08:07 AM..

Old 06-14-2022, 03:33 PM

42 posts, read 79,167 times
I just got a new letter for more apartments, but my place in terms of choice only went up by one from the last letter. I guess this means a lot of people unfroze in the last two months?

Last edited by rycolaa; 06-14-2022 at 04:05 PM..

Old 06-14-2022, 04:18 PM

Someone else told me the same thing. There are a couple of possibilities: As you said, maybe people did unfreeze their applications. Or perhaps two previous groups were combined. Or people who had been thrown off the list for not replying to a letter managed to get back on. (An acquaintance of mine did that last year.)

What do you think of the apartment selections in the new round? Are they “better”? My daughter is happy she took the apartment she was offered, since the timing worked out well regarding the lease on her old apartment. But of course I wanted the fun of seeing more apartments!

Old 06-14-2022, 06:41 PM

30 posts, read 42,479 times
Got the second letter today, too! And My choice is the same number again, over 10.

Old 06-14-2022, 07:17 PM

1 posts, read 1,202 times
I want to express my HUGE appreciation for all the advice on this forum about Penn
South! Thank you. I too looked at apts in mid March but had a high number, and not surprisingly was not selected. I have also received a letter today inviting me to view apts again but this time my number has improved, so fingers crossed!

Old 06-14-2022, 08:35 PM

I’m excited for all of you!

Old 06-15-2022, 08:50 AM

7 posts, read 10,595 times
Good Luck everyone! I'm in the high 80s on the 1-bedroom list and did not get a letter yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery