Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2020, 02:05 PM

4,771 posts, read 6,563,439 times

Advertisements

Great news! Thanks for posting. I'll let my daughter know. Did you use applicant@pennsouth.coop?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2020, 02:11 PM

1,046 posts, read 469,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc2003 View Post
Great news! Thanks for posting. I'll let my daughter know. Did you use applicant@pennsouth.coop?
Yep! I was surprised how fast I got a reply back.

Old 06-03-2020, 04:58 PM

106 posts, read 177,805 times
Thank you everyone for the heads up about the lists being posted! I am in the high 200s on the 2 bedroom active external list (low 300s on the full external list). I feel like I should go write 1000 times: "I will not obsess about the Penn South waiting list." Good luck to everyone!

Old 06-03-2020, 05:36 PM

5,666 posts, read 2,607,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hkcg View Post
Hi pennsouth01,

It really depends on your waitlist number, which will be different from your lottery number. You may have been number 75 in the lottery, but you may be number 220 on the waitlist (these are just hypothetical numbers). They have also eliminated the balcony choice, so there may still be "balcony" waitlisters on the 2014 list who would be ahead of anyone on the 2019 list, but I have no information about that.

I was close to the end of the 2014 Studio list with no preference for balcony/no balcony, so that means that they would probably calling the 2019 studio people pretty quickly after the numbers are listed and they can start showing apartments again, if there are studios available. They did not break down the size of the apartments when they said they have 40 vacant apartments. And they don't actually show you anything. They give you the keys and you have about an hour to look at the apartments on your own. Then you come back to the office and fill out a form that says whether you accept or decline the apartments.

So, depending on your number, you may be able to be in by the end of 2021. There are so many factors however that it's impossible to predict accurately. I would start planning as soon as possible. Find out your credit score. Keep track of your debt to income ratio. Get copies of your income taxes for the past 2 years (NY and Fed).

Looking back, as much as I was chomping at the bit to get in PS, I'm glad it took me the time that it did. I became more aware of how I spent my money and had all the paperwork ready when they finally started sen ding letters. I think Incog recommended something that I did and it was helpful: sign up for Informed Delivery through the USPS. They send you an email with that day's mail, so you'll know if you get something from Mutual Redevelopment Houses then they have contacted you.

Good luck to all, and I hope you are all safe and healthy!

hkcg
Hi HKCG

Seems like there still a good amount of people on the 2014 studio list. Do you recall what number you were? I find it a bit hopeless that my number is higher then the total number of studio units for all of penn south. I was hoping this may be a good 5 year plan but I feel it may be more than that.

Old 06-03-2020, 08:53 PM

As I recall from reading the 2014 Penn South thread, some people who were, like, number 200 were shocked to be called to look at apartments. I am wondering, what about all those people lower on the list? How can someone from 1976 still be active on the list?

Old 06-03-2020, 10:41 PM

7 posts, read 6,643 times
Can anyone explain this?----

I applied to this 2019 Penn South lottery online at mitchell-lama connect, but when i log in it still says "tenant selection in progress". Clearly the lottery is over and it should say "not selected" or log #xxx. Has this happened to anyone else, what do you suggest I do to find out my actual status for this lottery?

thanks

-i have the same situation with the Village East Towers/Townhouse mitchell-lama project

Last edited by datarate; 06-03-2020 at 10:51 PM..

Old 06-03-2020, 11:04 PM

26 posts, read 45,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sSitcom View Post
Which list? I'm near the end of the studio.
Me too.. I am studio list after 320

Old 06-04-2020, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by datarate View Post
Can anyone explain this?----

I applied to this 2019 Penn South lottery online at mitchell-lama connect, but when i log in it still says "tenant selection in progress". Clearly the lottery is over and it should say "not selected" or log #xxx. Has this happened to anyone else, what do you suggest I do to find out my actual status for this lottery?

thanks

-i have the same situation with the Village East Towers/Townhouse mitchell-lama project
My information is the same as yours. It’s not being updated. If you were not contacted by email or regular mail for a particular lottery, just assume you were not selected.

Old 06-04-2020, 09:35 AM

14 posts, read 17,977 times
Does anyone have any idea if they are currently reaching out to people on the waiting list? I'm in the mid 100s.... but I am ready!

Old 06-04-2020, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by volleyballbob View Post
Does anyone have any idea if they are currently reaching out to people on the waiting list? I'm in the mid 100s.... but I am ready!
Which size apartment are you waiting for? (There are three separate lists for external applicants.)

I have noticed that on the one-bedroom list, 125 people are still on there from 2014 and will need to be processed, of course, before the 2019 lottery people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery