Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2021, 05:37 PM

16 posts, read 20,190 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lottohopeful View Post
So if I am within the income limits when I get the unit, then my income jumps to well above or someone moves in with me to make the limit jump up, I will only pay a max surcharge of 200% right? Even if my new income is 1M (as an example).
Straight from the Penn South website:

"Applicants whose income is up to 50% above the maximum allowable income are eligible for an apartment but will be subject to a surcharge on the monthly carrying charge."

Also, I believe the max surcharge is 150%, but they seem to have removed that from the website.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2021, 05:39 PM

16 posts, read 20,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trisky View Post
So did I! I am now at 115.

I have a question that I think has probably been answered before but I can't figure out to search for it. If you buy into Penn South at say, $70k, do you make only 70k if/when you sell or do you get current purchase price?
You get back what you paid. Regardless of any improvements you have made or what the current purchase prices are.

Old 04-09-2021, 01:26 PM

132 posts, read 219,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RxGold View Post
Thank you!

Regarding missing notices about apartments, I also recommend signing up for the USPS informed delivery service. They send you an email every day with scans of the mail that will arrive that day (or sometimes the next). If you see a scan with the PS logo you should expect an envelope in your mailbox soon thereafter.

Old 04-09-2021, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MollieMay View Post
Straight from the Penn South website:

"Applicants whose income is up to 50% above the maximum allowable income are eligible for an apartment but will be subject to a surcharge on the monthly carrying charge."

Also, I believe the max surcharge is 150%, but they seem to have removed that from the website.

The max income when you move in is 150% above the allowable income. The max income for purposes of calculating the surcharge is 200% above the base carrying charge for your unit.

Old 04-09-2021, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MollieMay View Post
So basically you have to "accept" them all after viewing. And then they will come back to you with a list of maybe half the length of the ones you looked at, and then from that, you get to pick the one you want. So it's not really "random" and you'd want to know what you're picking. Like, I don't want the one that was full of water bugs. Or the one that had a completely water damaged bedroom floor. Or the one with the water leak in the kitchen. Which I wouldn't know about if I hadn't looked at all the units.

A water-damaged floor will be fixed before a new tenant moves in. Several of the parquet tiles were replaced between our initial viewing and move-in. If the damage is severe and widespread they will probabl just replace the entire floor with newer wood planks as the parquet tiles are no longer available.

Old 04-11-2021, 11:11 AM

26 posts, read 45,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadypinesma View Post
I have no problem with people purchasing after getting into a Mitchell Lama or Penn South. But before?! You obviously can afford housing... why are you on the list?
Wanna live in city. Thinking to buy a home in LI

Old 04-12-2021, 12:00 PM

40 posts, read 76,416 times
Hi everyone! I'm curious of anyone recently moved in to Penn South 2-bed and has a loan through PSFCU and would be willing to share some *rough* financials (specific numbers not necessary or really needed!). I know the numbers are really a moving target and may not reflect what it will be if and when we are eventually called (we are living on the 2014 2bed waitlist), but wanted to get an idea basically of monthly costs to plant in the back of my mind. I know some of these questions have been answered here in the past, but was looking for current information. Thank you so much in advance.

What is the interest rate (or range of rates) for the loan through PSFCU?
What is the current monthly carrying charge? Does this change or are you ”locked in” to a rate for a period of time (like a rental renewal)?
What is the range for monthly utilities (gas, electric, etc..)?
Any other PS-specific charges?

Old 04-14-2021, 06:54 AM

269 posts, read 334,556 times
If I'm on the studio list, and make plans to live with my elderly mother, will there be an opportunity to switch to the 1BR list once I am contacted? Or is that option only for residents after a few years?

Old 04-14-2021, 07:30 AM

67 posts, read 94,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnyand50 View Post
If I'm on the studio list, and make plans to live with my elderly mother, will there be an opportunity to switch to the 1BR list once I am contacted? Or is that option only for residents after a few years?
I wish! The studios are for up to 2 people so you'd still be on the studio list.

Old 04-14-2021, 08:28 AM

269 posts, read 334,556 times
Oh, wow. Good to know. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery