Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2022, 09:39 AM

10 posts, read 15,134 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLDSKOOLNYC1 View Post
IWe got the max ($2600) for a 2 bedroom so, a little budget tightening will be in order.
Do you know what determines the rate you're given?

My application has been processed, but I have not been offered an apartment yet. I am afraid I will get offered one I can't afford. I have tried to speak to someone there, but they are not responsive.

Is there any way to make what I prefer known? I am very excited, but it seems like they don't intend to speak to me before my apartment is determined, and I'm afraid I will be offered something I cannot accept.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2022, 11:38 AM

4,783 posts, read 6,595,747 times
It is true that you may be offered anything within the price range, and it's not based on your income.

This has been a strange lottery, since day one. The salary range is extremely large. That's not a problem in itself, but Stuy Town should be looking at the income of the person and offering a unit that is truly affordable to that individual.

I honestly don't know what recourse you have. I know someone commented earlier on this thread that his friend was offered an apartment she couldn't afford. There was talk of contacting HPD to complain; I don' t know if anything was resolved.

It doesn't seem fair that you could be offered a rent that's too expensive for you, and someone else may have a high income and end up with a bargain.

Old 02-20-2022, 11:39 AM

54 posts, read 66,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goku23 View Post
These whole apartments are outdated to me they just put new appliances in them and made small renovations
You are correct. I have to agree Blackstone didn’t spend or do much for the renovation. It’s a light refresh. The kitchen is the most renovated. But if you know construction/contacting work you know it wasn’t a high spend. I have to strongly disagree with Mac, Blackstone barely scratched that $15k. Also heads up to anyone most of the units don’t come with updated electrical work so either no light switches or faulty wiring.

Old 02-20-2022, 11:48 AM

54 posts, read 66,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeysunsets View Post
Do you know what determines the rate you're given?

My application has been processed, but I have not been offered an apartment yet. I am afraid I will get offered one I can't afford. I have tried to speak to someone there, but they are not responsive.

Is there any way to make what I prefer known? I am very excited, but it seems like they don't intend to speak to me before my apartment is determined, and I'm afraid I will be offered something I cannot accept.
It’s unfortunately what ever is available is what you are offered. You can be on the low end of the income spectrum and get offered the highest unit cost. There’s a certain profit they want to meet vs actually offering what’s affordable to that individual. It seems the unit price is already set to keep themselves at the profit rate. Most of the units are 165% ami but there was units offered at 80% etc so this is legal. Just misleading with advertisement.

Old 02-20-2022, 12:03 PM

269 posts, read 335,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc2003 View Post
The lights for the closets sound like a great idea! I must look for those. I’m always peering into my closets with a flashlight.
I got a puck light at Home Depot for the walk-in, and use rechargeable strips from Amazon in the smaller closets (those just rest on a shelf - I move them around).

Old 02-20-2022, 12:38 PM

Good to know. Thanks guys. A few more questions if anyone's around today:

- Is Peter Cooper Village part of this lottery, too?
- Are they including those "junior" apartments in the lottery (the ones that don't have a real living room)?
- Has anyone worked with someone there named Susan? She is allegedly handling my case, but I haven't spoken to her in three weeks. I did speak with Syed, and he is incredibly helpful, but he's handed off to Susan.

Old 02-20-2022, 12:55 PM

52 posts, read 63,790 times
Quote:

- Is Peter Cooper Village part of this lottery, too?
- Are they including those "junior" apartments in the lottery (the ones that don't have a real living room)?
- Has anyone worked with someone there named Susan? She is allegedly handling my case, but I haven't spoken to her in three weeks. I did speak with Syed, and he is incredibly helpful, but he's handed off to Susan.
PcV is apart of the lottery, I had Ms. Mcnicholas after my offer was given to me and she was very pleasant... I didnt have to ask her much because I was at the end already, but I did get handed off to her but it was after I was given an offer.

Old 02-20-2022, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nycwalker View Post
You are correct. I have to agree Blackstone didn’t spend or do much for the renovation. It’s a light refresh. The kitchen is the most renovated. But if you know construction/contacting work you know it wasn’t a high spend. I have to strongly disagree with Mac, Blackstone barely scratched that $15k. Also heads up to anyone most of the units don’t come with updated electrical work so either no light switches or faulty wiring.
All these units have been rewired. Believe me, I know because I was here before the rewiring. We couldn't have air conditioning back then.

Everything in NYC is more expensive. The Stuy Town units have new appliances, new cabinets, are freshly painted, have refinished floors. In addition, the bathrooms have new vanities, flooring and fixtures. Believe me, $15,000 was spent. At least.

Quote:

Answers in bold:
- Is Peter Cooper Village part of this lottery, too? YES
- Are they including those "junior" apartments in the lottery (the ones that don't have a real living room)? NO, the flex units are not included. Only "real apartments."
- Has anyone worked with someone there named Susan? She is allegedly handling my case, but I haven't spoken to her in three weeks. I did speak with Syed, and he is incredibly helpful, but he's handed off to Susan. I don't know, sorry.

Old 02-20-2022, 01:07 PM

Quote:

Answers in bold:
- Is Peter Cooper Village part of this lottery, too? YES
- Are they including those "junior" apartments in the lottery (the ones that don't have a real living room)? NO, the flex units are not included. Only "real apartments."
I don't know, sorry.

Old 02-20-2022, 01:48 PM

Thanks, guys. You've been very helpful!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery