Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2022, 04:16 PM

31,897 posts, read 26,945,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmmrivs View Post
I have seen the general yelp reviews for Stuytown but have not been able to find any specifically for this lottery. The apartments are large but not lavish. For the full price, I would say way over priced. For the 2021 lottery prices, you can't get better in this location. I am not 100% in love with Stuytown for multiple reasons, but you will not be able to find a 1 or 2 bedroom under 2k near the East Village, these days.
That's it then isn't it? For rent regulated tenants (something tons of complaints are generated by market rate tenants), STPCV is a very good deal. You won't find apartments of same square footage, amenities, etc.... in Manhattan for same RS unit money.

This has always and still is large problem where you have rent regulated units mixed with market rate on any scale. People paying $$$$ feel entitled to certain things for their money, and when that doesn't happen....

New construction where "low income" and "affordable" are mixed in with market rate is another story. There everyone starts out on same level with LLs and developers watched closely to ensure no one is playing favorites.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2022, 04:42 PM

54 posts, read 66,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
That's it then isn't it? For rent regulated tenants (something tons of complaints are generated by market rate tenants), STPCV is a very good deal. You won't find apartments of same square footage, amenities, etc.... in Manhattan for same RS unit money.

This has always and still is large problem where you have rent regulated units mixed with market rate on any scale. People paying $$$$ feel entitled to certain things for their money, and when that doesn't happen....

New construction where "low income" and "affordable" are mixed in with market rate is another story. There everyone starts out on same level with LLs and developers watched closely to ensure no one is playing favorites.
" You won't find apartments of same square footage, amenities, etc.... in Manhattan for same RS unit money." mmm I'd have to disagree. There are some basics this property is missing.
Let's not set the bar in hell. That's why our city has so many issues that could be addressed but people have low expectations and make that their norm.

"People paying $$$$ feel entitled to certain things for their money, and when that doesn't happen...."
Some of those reviews are clear pictures of mold, no heat, brown water, clear noise issues, etc is that entitlement??

Everyone's opinions/experiences are valid and I wouldn't denounce them whether it's good or bad.

Old 03-15-2022, 01:45 PM

12 posts, read 18,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alacritousalpaca View Post
I just got back from viewing the apartment and it's beautiful! I am going to sign the lease for sure. I didn't hear any noise while I was in the apartment except for a door slamming in the hallway, and I think that will be mitigated once the apartment is furnished and less of an echo chamber. I know it wasn't a peak hour for noise, but I feel optimistic that it will be okay. The only negatives were that the material for the kitchen cabinets feels cheap (some kind of laminate) and will probably show its age pretty quickly, the apartment does not get a ton of light (though it does get some), and the fridge doesn't have an ice maker (which is such a tiny quibble! I'm only including it to show how little I could find wrong with the apartment). These are outweighed for me by the many, many positives: video intercom, four closets, tons of space compared to my current studio, brand new stainless steel appliances including a dishwasher, a lovely parquet floor, a redone bathroom, bike storage and laundry in the basement, an elevator, brand new ACs installed in both rooms...the list goes on! I am very excited to move.

I meant to try to ask for info about the lottery for you all but I was so blown away by the apartment that I blanked and forgot to, sorry!! I did learn that the rule is that your lease must start within 30 days of when you receive the offer, and the agent told me that it will be rent stabilized forever. (I thought I had read something about it expiring in 20 years.)

If you don't mind telling me, what is your income?
I just want to have an idea of how much I'd be paying if I get an offer.

Old 03-15-2022, 02:28 PM

42 posts, read 57,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoderosoGuerrero View Post
If you don't mind telling me, what is your income?
I just want to have an idea of how much I'd be paying if I get an offer.
A bit over $60k (so about 37-38x my rent), but I think it's been established at some point in this thread that the rent isn't necessarily adjusted based on income, and there was an FAQ on the website that said you'd be offered the cheapest available apartment at the time your log number comes up. It may just be luck of the draw, unfortunately.

Old 03-16-2022, 11:15 AM

1 posts, read 1,229 times
Hi I have been reading this thread and it has been so informative and helpful with my move to StuyTown. I am part of the lottery and I had a low number and was notified back in July for a unit. I wanted a three bedroom because I have a girl and a boy. They are both young and can still share a space but I wanted them to have separate spaces. There were no three bedrooms available so I was placed on a WL. I had a serious issue in my apartment that I had to move out and I contacted StuyTown and a two bedroom was available and I moved in within a month of submitting paperwork. I was able to view the unit before I moved in. I am living in StuyTown for two weeks now. I am paying over $300 less than I did before. The two bedroom is working fine. I turned the living into a bedroom. So I now have the three bedroom.
On my first night here we had no heat in the apartment we had to use a space heater I had bought with me from my previous apt. By the next day we had heat and still do. The neighbor above us has a dog or dogs and it appears they do not have carpet because I can hear the dog running back and forth because the nails click on the floor. I hear them blending, or whatever appliances they use. The neighbor next to me is so quiet twice I hear a faint talking and that is because I was standing in the hallway. Thankfully we only share the hallway wall and nothing else. So far I like living here. It is so much easier to visit places in the city, shop and dine out.

Old 03-16-2022, 10:47 PM

173 posts, read 147,180 times
Saw an apartment in my hall being renovated, I assume for the lottery, so this round doesn't seem done yet. There seems to be multiple lottery units on my floor, since many of them have the "Welcome Home" tag on their doors

Old 03-17-2022, 05:22 AM

151 posts, read 199,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palpable View Post
Saw an apartment in my hall being renovated, I assume for the lottery, so this round doesn't seem done yet. There seems to be multiple lottery units on my floor, since many of them have the "Welcome Home" tag on their doors
Thanks for letting us know! I was expecting to have heard something by now. You’re not on 14th Street, right? I wonder why so many are on your floor and how they determine which are lottery apartments.

Old 03-17-2022, 05:27 AM

4,770 posts, read 6,560,761 times
I believe the lottery apartments are the ones that had been occupied by longtime tenants and hadn’t been renovated previously.

That’s why the rents are low.

The “welcome home” nameplate is placed on all apartments that changed hands in the past couple of years, not just lottery ones.

Old 03-17-2022, 07:49 AM

12 posts, read 18,645 times
I need someone's help!!!
I submitted the paperwork a month ago. But when I send them via email I had to upload them to the "cloud" because the files were too big. And I see that the attachment will only be available to download until March 20th. I went to Stuytown leasing offices asking for help but they only gave me an email address and the same phone number I've been unsuccessfully calling for the past month.
Do you think they will disqualify me for this, or would they just ask again for the paperwork as they will see it was uploaded but expired?
My lease in my current apartment ends March 31st and my landlord has not sent a new one.
As you can imagine I am panicking and on the verge of a mental breakdown.
Does any of the lottery winners here, have any contact, or is willing to help this poor soul?

Old 03-17-2022, 08:03 AM

42 posts, read 57,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc2003 View Post
I believe the lottery apartments are the ones that had been occupied by longtime tenants and hadn’t been renovated previously.

That’s why the rents are low.

The “welcome home” nameplate is placed on all apartments that changed hands in the past couple of years, not just lottery ones.
This is true, at least for my apartment! The lease I signed had a rider showing the previous tenant's rent and the allowable increases to get it to the rent they offered me.

There's also a rider showing the cost of the improvements they made to the apartment--at least for mine, they spent about $24k on renovations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery