Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2021, 01:54 PM

248 posts, read 402,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnyand50 View Post
I feel good having a credit freeze. Even if I lift it for the credit checks.
I highly recommend a credit lock as well - you unlock/thaw it only when an an entity you know requests that you lift it. Then you can relock it after the authorized check.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2021, 09:37 AM

127 posts, read 216,200 times
Does anyone know roughly how much to expect to pay in rent if you fall in the mid-range for this lottery?

For ex. if you are single person making 70K, I doubt they will offer $1200 for the 1 bedroom. Will it be more like like $1400? I wish they didn't just give a wide range like $1,200-$2,000 and just gave the exact breakdown by the various salary brackets.

Old 05-03-2021, 09:47 AM

4,776 posts, read 6,573,986 times
According to the FAQ, this is what it says:

When your application is fully processed (all documents submitted) and it is determined that you are eligible for an apartment offer, you will be assigned the lowest priced available unit that you are eligible for within the Peter Cooper Village/Stuyvesant Town community. Requests will not be taken for specific units, buildings, locations or properties.

https://www.stuytownlottery.com/faqs

This is a very different lottery from past ones, and it remains to be seen how this all plays out.

Old 05-03-2021, 09:51 AM

127 posts, read 216,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc2003 View Post
According to the FAQ, this is what it says:

When your application is fully processed (all documents submitted) and it is determined that you are eligible for an apartment offer, you will be assigned the lowest priced available unit that you are eligible for within the Peter Cooper Village/Stuyvesant Town community. Requests will not be taken for specific units, buildings, locations or properties.

https://www.stuytownlottery.com/faqs

This is a very different lottery from past ones, and it remains to be seen how this all plays out.
Has anyone moved forward yet already within this thread? I am just curious to see how this is going to go. I was on the original waiting list but they had specific breakouts for each salary range and it was seemingly more expensive.

Idk... I wish we had insight from people that have already been through the process. I need to know if its worth the potential headache.

Old 05-03-2021, 10:16 AM

Everyone with a low number in this lottery has to be comfortable with more or less going in blindly, because so much is unknown.

I would say if you are asked to submit documents, to make it worth the time and effort that that entails, you would have to be comfortable paying from the bottom of the range to the top. In my opinion, Stuy Town is not going to refine that number for you beforehand (although of course you could ask).

I'm hoping that in time, people will start to post here about their experiences, and that will give you some clues of what to expect.

Old 05-03-2021, 10:18 AM

41 posts, read 62,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astoldby View Post
Has anyone moved forward yet already within this thread? I am just curious to see how this is going to go. I was on the original waiting list but they had specific breakouts for each salary range and it was seemingly more expensive.

Idk... I wish we had insight from people that have already been through the process. I need to know if its worth the potential headache.

Agreed! But FYI I'm in the 29xs and last Thursday the Stuy Town lotto office told me I should expect to hear from them in a "few months". Wish I had asked more questions on the specifics, but will update if I hear anything else! I keep trying to give them another call but just goes straight to voicemail.

I was previously hoping to move in by the end of the summer but this thread is making me feel like I should lower my expectations lol

Last edited by rr19; 05-03-2021 at 10:49 AM..

Old 05-03-2021, 12:41 PM

3,144 posts, read 2,735,240 times
"I was previously hoping to move in by the end of the summer but this thread is making me feel like I should lower my expectations lol"

Unlikely. This isn't even for a pool of new apartments, it's for replenishing/creating a waitlist for occupied apartments.

It's all very annoying to me. IIRC, I had GREAT numbers in two different earlier rounds of lotteries, but ended up not going forward because of the rent and the shady rent-adjustment mechanism. I would definitely have moved in if I could've. Now I most likely won't qualify.

Old 05-03-2021, 01:09 PM

41 posts, read 62,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomperson2 View Post
"I was previously hoping to move in by the end of the summer but this thread is making me feel like I should lower my expectations lol"

Unlikely. This isn't even for a pool of new apartments, it's for replenishing/creating a waitlist for occupied apartments.

It's all very annoying to me. IIRC, I had GREAT numbers in two different earlier rounds of lotteries, but ended up not going forward because of the rent and the shady rent-adjustment mechanism. I would definitely have moved in if I could've. Now I most likely won't qualify.
Sorry to hear that! But as people have mentioned earlier in this thread, keep in mind that hundred of thousands of people left Manhattan in 2020 - I feel like there are plenty unoccupied apartments right now.

What was the shady rent-adjustment mechanism?

Old 05-03-2021, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomperson2 View Post
How do you know this? I understand that the unrenovated apartments have been warehoused for over a year, maybe two. So I imagine that there are some vacant ones ready to be filled.

Old 05-03-2021, 02:24 PM

105 posts, read 242,760 times
My understanding is there are a considerable number of vacant apartments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery