Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2021, 02:21 PM

269 posts, read 334,816 times

Advertisements

No, I am nowhere near the 165% level. I mean I won't be picky about what floor it's on or if the appliances are new.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2021, 08:02 PM

125 posts, read 210,235 times
Communication isn't Stuytown's strong suit. I also was in the 2018 lottery. They asked for a bunch of documents and I immediately uploaded them all to the portal. After about a month of literally no communication they emailed me back saying they received the items. From then until this very moment NO communication. I emailed and left voicemails just asking for any updates and radio silence from them. I gave up and applied to this new lottery and got a log # over 6,000. Sometimes you just cant win lol

Old 04-29-2021, 09:26 PM

239 posts, read 321,345 times
Thanks. Good to know, I was thinking about starting to prepare my docs but, learning your experience, my thoughts about possibly moving sometime this Summer will get reevaluated!

Old 04-30-2021, 05:08 AM

I feel your pain and frustration Gdsimmons and OLDSKOOLNYC1!

Trying to think about it from their point of view...For all the things that take us time to gather, they have to review the documents and multiply that by applicants. Even though we wait years to hear from them, and weeks/months between actions...it makes sense that they try to process applications in batches. I assume that's why they haven't said a word about "reaching my number" yet. For example, if they have 3 apartments and request documents from 5 or 10 people, it actually saves time because of the high dropout rate. At least, that's what I tell myself.

Best of luck and much patience to all!

Being in limbo with community makes it bearable. Thank you!

Old 04-30-2021, 06:14 PM

64 posts, read 95,372 times
I got log number 27X this time around. Hoping to be called for documents by the end of summer but not too sure how this process works. Wonder if there's a set amount of 1,2, and 3 bedrooms. Looking for a 1 bedroom. For anyone who was contacted to submit documents before, do you remember what they asked for? Does anyone actually live in these lotto apartments?

Old 05-01-2021, 11:51 AM

1,706 posts, read 1,445,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmmrivs View Post
I got log number 27X this time around. Hoping to be called for documents by the end of summer but not too sure how this process works. Wonder if there's a set amount of 1,2, and 3 bedrooms. Looking for a 1 bedroom. For anyone who was contacted to submit documents before, do you remember what they asked for? Does anyone actually live in these lotto apartments?
I have lived in a lotto apartment in the Bronx since 2019. The process took nearly a year from application to lease signing. Now, this was a new building and there were some delays in completing the project so that contributed. However, I would say you should be prepared for the process to take a while (several months at the very least). I had to submit updated documents 3 times because they expire every 4 months. You will have to provide your whole life lol They want 6 months of pay stubs, w2s, tax returns, 6 months worth of statements from all bank accounts, retirement or brokerage accounts, proof of your household member's identities (IDs, SS card, birth certificates etc), school information for children, work+income information for adults, your current lease and several months of rent receipts and other stuff, I can't remember everything. They send you a list of everything you have to provide but it's a lot and obviously multiplied by the number of people in your household.

In terms of the apartment sizes, you are only considered for units that you qualify for based on your family size and income. If you happen to qualify for 2 different sizes, like say a studio or a 1 bedroom, if both options are available once they get to you, you will have a choice.

My best advice is just stay the course, keep good records, reply to every email or request for information and eventually you will get through the process. Try not to stress too much about it as it will take a long time but this doesn't mean something is wrong with your application, just that they are working on it. Happyto answer any more specific questions if anyone has them. Good luck everyone!

Old 05-01-2021, 02:35 PM

4,771 posts, read 6,565,677 times
If I applied to a lottery and supplied all documents and didn’t hear back, I would report that to HPD. If you are talking the time and making the effort to comply, there had better be an apartment for you, at least potentially. Otherwise these landlords and marketing agencies can just be doing fishing expeditions all day and gathering people’s confidential and sensitive information for no good reason!

Old 05-02-2021, 12:25 AM

233 posts, read 290,099 times
Speaking of sensitive paperwork: Do you all know what HPD does with an application after you’ve been disqualified or waitlisted? Do they hold on to all of our sensitive information or do they shred it? I honestly feel kind of uncomfortable about having sent in paperwork and having filled out so many applications to the housing connect lotteries... I’m hoping they get rid of our info if we aren’t picked and aren’t just hoarding it. Would love to know if anyone knows their policy on this.

Old 05-02-2021, 02:18 AM

4,771 posts, read 6,565,677 times
It would be good to know how HPD handles all the information it’s given. And what about all the marketing agencies? A couple of years ago people who had applied to a Hunters Point South building managed by Related began to be victims of identity theft. All it takes is one dishonest worker to cause a problem.

Anyone going through this process should monitor their credit carefully afterward for a couple of years.

Old 05-02-2021, 04:39 AM

I feel good having a credit freeze. Even if I lift it for the credit checks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery