Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2021, 11:56 AM

4,776 posts, read 6,573,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmmrivs View Post
I can confirm that apartments are not based off of income. Someone making the lower limit of 42k could be offered a 2k 1 bedroom apartment and vice versa. I am unsure if "lesser desirable" apartments are cheaper but I know that you will not be given the choice to ask for a possible cheaper unit or different location. I *think* there were a very few select 1.2K apartments. Less than 10. These apartments in the 2021 Lotto are old rent stabilized apartments so the lease will show the prior rent along with any new charges from individual apartment upgrades.
That is excellent information! Especially the part where you can see how much the prior tenant was paying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiaCash View Post
I wonder where the less desirable areas of the complex are. Also, I wonder if you're able to request a more desirable apartment and pay more for a larger PC apartment. From what I'm reading you don't have a choice in apartments but if they are charging you based on location, it doesn't hurt to ask.
Please see my post No. 464 in this thread (page 47) for information about which parts of Stuy Town may be less than desirable under some circumstances, IMO.

As far as I know, you are offered only one apartment, on a “take it or leave it” basis. And yes, it doesn't hurt to ask. Things change.

Last edited by macnyc2003; 08-20-2021 at 12:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2021, 01:43 PM

52 posts, read 64,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palpable View Post
I think someone had said here that the prices were based on location of the apartment, and not even income. Maybe they're trying to fill a certain part of Stuytown before moving onto the next?
What's the minimum income to rent an apartment that goes for 1700/month? As in, what multiplier? Is it multiplied by 36, multiplied by 33, etc...

I'm so, so close to getting a place -- they're now asking for my June & July bank statements; and I submitted some additional forms last week. Do we have an idea of the general income range of people getting the 1700/month offers?

Old 08-20-2021, 01:54 PM

54 posts, read 66,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongnewyorker View Post
What's the minimum income to rent an apartment that goes for 1700/month? As in, what multiplier? Is it multiplied by 36, multiplied by 33, etc...

I'm so, so close to getting a place -- they're now asking for my June & July bank statements; and I submitted some additional forms last week. Do we have an idea of the general income range of people getting the 1700/month offers?
The minimum is $42k to rent an apartment going for $1700. It’s definitely going by what’s available. You sound like you are close, fingers crossed for your approval!

Old 08-20-2021, 01:56 PM

4,776 posts, read 6,573,986 times
I believe the multiplier is 40. So the annual income needed in the case you mention would be $68,000.

Old 08-20-2021, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nycwalker View Post
The minimum is $42k to rent an apartment going for $1700. It’s definitely going by what’s available. You sound like you are close, fingers crossed for your approval!
Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc2003 View Post
I believe the multiplier is 40. So the annual income needed in the case you mention would be $68,000.
LOL well presumably one of you is right.
Although I don't see them being willing to rent out a 1700/month apartment to someone who makes less than double the rent after taxes...

Old 08-20-2021, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiaCash View Post
I wonder where the less desirable areas of the complex are. Also, I wonder if you're able to request a more desirable apartment and pay more for a larger PC apartment. From what I'm reading you don't have a choice in apartments but if they are charging you based on location, it doesn't hurt to ask.
I’ve lived in the area for awhile I could guess what would be considered the least desirable area in ST but it’s all speculation really. They do state in writing it’s one offer that’s it, getting in contact with them to ask is a whole nother ball game. There is a small time frame to accept or leave the offer.

Old 08-20-2021, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Although I don't see them being willing to rent out a 1700/month apartment to someone who makes less than double the rent after taxes...
I’m not speculating I’m confirming they offered my friend a one bedroom her salary is $42k for $1700. I viewed the offer email myself. That’s why I was inquiring if anyone has received a lower offer. I know they stated there would be about 500 units for “low” income and the rest middle income. This is a very “interesting” lottery.

Old 08-20-2021, 02:09 PM

Quote:
I wouldn't qualify if the apt is 1700/month and the multiplier is x40.
I could make 1700 work; it would be tight but I could make it work.

Fingers crossed for a raise at the end of the year.

Old 08-20-2021, 02:12 PM

Quote:
I’m not speculating I’m confirming they offered my friend a one bedroom her salary is $42k for $1700. I viewed the offer email myself. That’s why I was inquiring if anyone has received a lower offer. I know they stated there would be about 500 units for “low” income and the rest middle income. This is a very “interesting” lottery.
She should sue, honestly. That sounds a lot like fraud; especially if you only get one offer.
That makes things better for me (because worst case scenario I'll dip into my savings a bit for 1-2 years.)

But that's really horrible for most people.

Old 08-20-2021, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Has she called HUD or NY Dept of Housing to confirm that the offer of 1700/month, when the apartments were advertised going as low as 1200/month, is legal? Esp since she's at the bottom of the range.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery