Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2022, 01:13 PM

5 posts, read 5,902 times

Advertisements

Quick update. I’m viewing the apartment tomorrow. Honestly it’s been a process of 3 weeks so far. I think it’s solely because I kept calling the leasing agent listed on the housing connect website. When I finally reached someone on the phone I gave them all my info and asked if I could receive an estimate of when my file will be assigned to a compliance officer at the building. The woman told me it could happen in a few weeks after looking at my file. Later that day my compliance officer introduced himself and informed me of additional documents he needed. That was Tuesday. Today he scheduled my viewing.

So with that said I advice you guys to call up there and be persistent if possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2022, 01:34 PM

1,728 posts, read 1,496,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcedee View Post
So with that said I advice you guys to call up there and be persistent if possible.
This can be so true! I had to follow up weekly and then every other day during the final stages of my approval for a different building this past summer. Stay friendly and kind but persistent and hold them to their own deadlines.

Old 11-05-2022, 08:08 PM

72 posts, read 91,847 times
Quote:
Quick update. I’m viewing the apartment tomorrow. Honestly it’s been a process of 3 weeks so far. I think it’s solely because I kept calling the leasing agent listed on the housing connect website. When I finally reached someone on the phone I gave them all my info and asked if I could receive an estimate of when my file will be assigned to a compliance officer at the building. The woman told me it could happen in a few weeks after looking at my file. Later that day my compliance officer introduced himself and informed me of additional documents he needed. That was Tuesday. Today he scheduled my viewing.

WAVV log:27 xxx your log number if i d read correctly,
Ours 9xxx and from may 2022 all paper sent and being said all okay wait, after that not heard anything emailed a few time no respond?
What i can i do now?
Seems fishy to me,

Old 11-09-2022, 08:18 AM

5 posts, read 3,184 times
Does anyone know how much the amenities cost are for Gotham Point South?

Old 11-12-2022, 10:57 AM

5 posts, read 5,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janjan2020 View Post
WAVV log:27 xxx your log number if i d read correctly,
Ours 9xxx and from may 2022 all paper sent and being said all okay wait, after that not heard anything emailed a few time no respond?
What i can i do now?
Seems fishy to me,
I would say reach out to your compliance person. I passed on the apartment because it was too small.

Old 11-13-2022, 05:05 PM

47 posts, read 63,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AudreyJ_ View Post
Does anyone know how much the amenities cost are for Gotham Point South?
$900/year

Old 11-17-2022, 11:57 AM

72 posts, read 91,847 times
Quote:
I would say reach out to your compliance person. I passed on the apartment because it was too small.
Thanks no way to call all phones in file no answer and unfairly our income reflect wrong one which was not our fault,
and still processing for CB log 27k we are 9k CB and already kicked out,
How appeal this decision look like documents not tracked in timely manner and miss calculated also,
HOW APPEAL THIS any idea?
Thanks guys for replies

Old 11-18-2022, 06:52 PM

3 posts, read 5,086 times
First off, thank you to everyone sharing their insights/experiences here. I have been applying to several apartments in Queens and Brooklyn on and off over 3-4 years, and it seems I've gotten lucky with my Gotham Point South Tower application. The timing of the marketing agency/leasing office for Gotham Point seems unusually unpredictable and long from other forums I've read.

Sharing my info here to help out anyone else in the process - good luck if you are!
----

My Log Number is #17xxx with CB preference, 80/125 AMI.

my timeline:

December 2021 - applied to the lottery on Housing Connect site

Sept 8, 2022 - I received a text and email that my application was chosen to be processed and I was invited to submit documents over the Housing Connect portal. I've prepped obsessively so I had nearly everything that was listed on the site submitted in an hour.

November 17-18, 2022 - I received a call from Melissa (yes very nice, as others reported here) to submit a few more documents (note: they WILL ask for things like crypto and venmo receipts, and ask for an explanation of deposits and need to get it notarized once they go over your accounts). I emailed her the documents requested and uploaded them to the Housing Connect portal as well (thanks for the heads up on this everyone). I also answered an income questionnaire over the phone.

So far, I've asked and been told - all 80% AMI apartments have been filled. Bummed as I was hoping for this bracket, as I technically qualify for the 125AMI studio but I am scraping the bottom of the bracket there.

I am scheduled to check out the 125%AMI studio shortly; will try to report back here when I do. Props to RGC74 and many others for sharing so much detail.

**one more edit: I asked how long it might take to hear back once I submitted all extra requested documents - I was told maybe a month or so (!)

-----

Also if anyone is curious, my log # for the North Tower is #80xxx. yikes! wondering what my chances would be to be called in for an 80AMI apartment there...

Last edited by doubledeckerbus; 11-18-2022 at 07:59 PM..

Old 11-21-2022, 03:20 PM

3 posts, read 5,086 times
Hi all, as a short update, I've decided to decline and withdraw my application for this lottery (kinda seems crazy knowing my odds of getting this far but wish the best of luck to whoever gets called up next, and hope I can share any insight here for anyone else looking to make decisions)

I went to see the apartment this weekend - met an Anya on-staff (super nice and kind, as was building staff) who showed me the site, amenities, and building. Melissa followed up by phone call today asking how the viewing went and if I was still interested in moving forward.

To sum it up, the space (while beautiful and on a high floor with a nice window view) seems too small for my personal budget with getting unexpectedly bumped up to a higher AMI bracket. also the 7 train didn't happen to be running this weekend so I ended up making a 30-minute or so brisk walk from the nearest train - a heads up for any regular commuters. I found it a hassle and taxiied home as I didn't want to repeat a long walk in freezing temps.

re: the apartment - it was on the left most corridor of the 22nd floor and it was about 350 sq. feet, and had an alright view overlooking the Eagle+West apartment complexes and the river if you crane your head to the right.

The laundry is on the 4th floor and even though it's an elevator building, seems like it'll be a bit of a trek (plus the slightly odd feeling of knowing you'll be marked out as someone in a housing lottery apartment since all the other market rate apartments have W/Ds in unit). Costs were about $2.75/load.

Anya mentioned a full size bed could fit in the space - but it would be basically be squished in between the window and the dishwasher/start of the kitchen counters. Unless you really pull off some interior design wizardry, this looks to be choose either a bed or a couch, but not both situation.

For my 125 AMI bracket amenities would be 900/year - the coworking space was really nice and empty. You would also get access to a gym, but it's currently still being built and also in the North Tower, so you would need to make a small trek over once it's done. Anya mentioned this 900/year fee would be lower for lower AMIs.

Not for everyone, but I'm sure someone out there can and will want to make it work - so good luck to the rest of you still waiting!

I've attached some pictures I took of the space in case anyone is interested as well.
https://imgur.com/a/uXOfw4u

Last edited by doubledeckerbus; 11-21-2022 at 03:24 PM.. Reason: missing link

Old 11-21-2022, 05:08 PM

412 posts, read 598,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubledeckerbus View Post
Hi all, as a short update, I've decided to decline and withdraw my application for this lottery (kinda seems crazy knowing my odds of getting this far but wish the best of luck to whoever gets called up next, and hope I can share any insight here for anyone else looking to make decisions)
Thank you so much for taking the time to write this informative update. I really appreciate it. I know people comment on the process enough on this forum but not everyone goes into detail about the actual buildings.

I assume you viewed a studio? Did you consider a 1 bed even though it's already more than you wanted to pay? I think it's probably more for your money. You could also request to view more than the one studio and see if the agent is willing to accommodate.
(Edit: I should've read your previous post about the studio/1 bed but will leave this in case someone else finds it helpful.)

Yes this weekend and the previous weekend 7 train wasn't running. This actually does happen somewhat frequently. There's a MTA shuttle that runs from the Vernon Jackson stop to the court square subway station. It somehow always happens around Thanksgiving because I remember walking in the cold to the court square stop a few times. I also think there will be a shuttle that runs from the Gotham buildings once north tower opens up.

I'm not happy about the high amenities fee but that's pretty normal now. Same with no in unit w/d unless you want to pay 3k.. sigh.

Last edited by rnt2dh; 11-21-2022 at 05:21 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery