Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2023, 05:50 AM

29 posts, read 33,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheaterFan View Post
300 is a very good number. Based on the people who have used the worksheet below, it appears they are up to 2-digit numbers in the non-CB pool for the south lottery. However, there are many variables that no one has access to. If all apartments in your API have been filled by the CB pool, you will never hear from them. The higher your AMI, the better your chances because more people have lower AMIs and those units fill faster.

However, to further complicate this, I see you have also posted that you have a number 3XX in the North Tower lottery. While this is not impossible, it is extremely rare for you to receive similar numbers for both towers. If you did indeed get 3XX for both towers, and your AMI is 80+, you are in a good position to hear from at least one of these two Gotham residences. But I suspect there is something confused.

Gotham south tower entries:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...KXA/edit#gid=0

Gotham north tower entries:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...kO4/edit#gid=0
Yes there was some confused i thought it was another form for the south tower, my number is in the 300s for the south tower, I’m in it for 1 bedroom or studio
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2023, 03:41 PM

72 posts, read 91,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheaterFan View Post
This lottery works and many people have successfully moved in to lottery apartments. The housing lottery has changed their lives. Most unfortunately, your posts are very difficult to follow. You have posted many, many complaints that are impossible to understand. There are people here who can help you, but, regrettably, the obvious conclusion is there is a communication issue between you and the agent that can't be overcome.
yes not a novel level english sorry but understable if trying to
9xxx number passed my belive done intentionally at least agent mistake our all sended paper works show 4x xxx income %50 amu 1b but per hpc site refused at %125 ami and 90 xxx income by mistake she calculated pre covid income and after covid w-2 income in same year
so baisly not my mistake and no response
wrote district city council ambasador etc no chance
ridiculous it is your belive that work great but my opinion you got to connect to some one other way how come they pass you and go next without even refusal letter

abstract agent mistake slowness cost us no unit remnaning and no one correct or accept still units are going on

Old 01-09-2023, 04:13 PM

684 posts, read 1,822,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janjan2020 View Post
yes not a novel level english sorry but understable if trying to
9xxx number passed my belive done intentionally at least agent mistake our all sended paper works show 4x xxx income %50 amu 1b but per hpc site refused at %125 ami and 90 xxx income by mistake she calculated pre covid income and after covid w-2 income in same year
so baisly not my mistake and no response
wrote district city council ambasador etc no chance
ridiculous it is your belive that work great but my opinion you got to connect to some one other way how come they pass you and go next without even refusal letter

abstract agent mistake slowness cost us no unit remnaning and no one correct or accept still units are going on
um..Nobody managing this process is personally out to get you, these people have to sift through tens of thousands of applications, then manage all the paperwork of each applicant that's selected, nobody is above a mistake, but nobody is singling you out to ensure you're disqualified. And they're also not going to go by income from 2019. They have a set rule to follow to calculate everyones income

Old 01-09-2023, 08:12 PM

412 posts, read 596,893 times
I'm sorry to say your posts are all confusing. Many people are trying to help you but you can't expect us to have an answer that's just incorrect. Perhaps it is just a communications error and I'm sorry if that's how you lost your apartment. At this point I'm not sure what people can help you with if you already contacted HPD and the city council. What was the reply from HPD? Are you being kept on the waitlist at least?

I definitely remember you commenting on the 5 pointz thread numerous times about wanting a 1 bedroom, yet 5 Pointz is 130% AMI ONLY. So I'm not even sure what AMI you fall into. In another thread you said they mistakenly calculated your AMI from 50% to 80%, and now you're saying they mistakenly calculated your AMI from 50% to 125%... Do you even know what your AMI is?? Did you get something in writing as to what the calculated income is to disqualify you? 5 Pointz would not have offered you a unit if your income was below 130% AMI.. and that definitely also came out during the middle of covid, I think late 2021.

Last edited by rnt2dh; 01-09-2023 at 08:26 PM..

Old 01-09-2023, 10:40 PM

7 posts, read 8,938 times
Hey all, first post here and really glad I found this forum/thread. Hoping to get some advice.

So I got contacted about a studio in the South Tower lottery. Put all my docs in, the person from Gotham Point said they thought my paperwork was relatively straightforward so got me in to tour the apartment. Was told to wait until the paperwork would get sent to the city for approval. However, after submitting all my bank statements to prove my income, whatever third party system they use came up with a ridiculously crazy number of how much money I make which bumped me out of the range for getting the apartment and I was rejected. The person from Gotham said that I can appeal this to NYCHDC and see if things can change. The thing is that while their third party took only account for how much money came in for me over the past six months, they didn't take into account my expenses for my additional income outside of my main job.

I guess my question is how can I prove to NYCHDC that my income was inflated and not an accurate depiction of what my income will be going forward. For instance, I buy and sell things on eBay as a side hustle. While I've made a some extra money on eBay, they didn't take into the account of me purchasing said items, fixing up and then reselling. I was thinking of putting together a projected income sheet for my appeal, but does anyone think I have a chance here? Or does anyone have any sort of other advice for my situation?

Thanks

Old 01-10-2023, 04:43 AM

800 posts, read 734,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycdrummer View Post
Hey all, first post here and really glad I found this forum/thread. Hoping to get some advice.

So I got contacted about a studio in the South Tower lottery. Put all my docs in, the person from Gotham Point said they thought my paperwork was relatively straightforward so got me in to tour the apartment. Was told to wait until the paperwork would get sent to the city for approval. However, after submitting all my bank statements to prove my income, whatever third party system they use came up with a ridiculously crazy number of how much money I make which bumped me out of the range for getting the apartment and I was rejected. The person from Gotham said that I can appeal this to NYCHDC and see if things can change. The thing is that while their third party took only account for how much money came in for me over the past six months, they didn't take into account my expenses for my additional income outside of my main job.

I guess my question is how can I prove to NYCHDC that my income was inflated and not an accurate depiction of what my income will be going forward. For instance, I buy and sell things on eBay as a side hustle. While I've made a some extra money on eBay, they didn't take into the account of me purchasing said items, fixing up and then reselling. I was thinking of putting together a projected income sheet for my appeal, but does anyone think I have a chance here? Or does anyone have any sort of other advice for my situation?

Thanks
That should’ve been part of your initial set of documents as self employment. Even if not asked as you know your income best. Not sure if you report this extra income on your taxes but if you don’t that could explain the oversight. How would the agent know.

An estimated projection of your NET self-employment income (gross income minus expenses) for the next 12 months. CPA letter or tax preparer statement on letterhead, or notarized self-statement. Copies of expenses, receipts, and other backup documentation

It was your responsibility to provide or specifically state what the extra deposits were for. They don’t look at the cash going out. Definitely appeal and provide the above. I would say you have a pretty good chance if you can provide sufficient proof.

Old 01-10-2023, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost20 View Post
That should’ve been part of your initial set of documents as self employment. Even if not asked as you know your income best. Not sure if you report this extra income on your taxes but if you don’t that could explain the oversight. How would the agent know.

An estimated projection of your NET self-employment income (gross income minus expenses) for the next 12 months. CPA letter or tax preparer statement on letterhead, or notarized self-statement. Copies of expenses, receipts, and other backup documentation

It was your responsibility to provide or specifically state what the extra deposits were for. They don’t look at the cash going out. Definitely appeal and provide the above. I would say you have a pretty good chance if you can provide sufficient proof.

This is great information, I honestly had no idea. This is my first go-around getting selected in the lottery so kinda learning on the fly. The agent from Gotham Point who's been helping me did send a follow-up document where I had to explain some of the larger deposits into my bank account, but the majority of these transactions were one time things that I feel shouldn't project on my income for 2023 since it's not a reliable source of income.

I do have a stable full time job, get paid every two weeks so I know that income for 2023 but also do some freelancing work on the side. Since that's tough to project, is going off of what I got in 2022 a fair determination for my estimated net self-employment? How would you suggest showing my self-employment income and then my regular job employment income?

Again, appreciate any advice at all. I have until Thursday to appeal so trying to get my ducks in order to hopefully give myself the best chance to get this apartment.

Old 01-10-2023, 09:17 AM

800 posts, read 734,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycdrummer View Post
This is great information, I honestly had no idea. This is my first go-around getting selected in the lottery so kinda learning on the fly. The agent from Gotham Point who's been helping me did send a follow-up document where I had to explain some of the larger deposits into my bank account, but the majority of these transactions were one time things that I feel shouldn't project on my income for 2023 since it's not a reliable source of income.

I do have a stable full time job, get paid every two weeks so I know that income for 2023 but also do some freelancing work on the side. Since that's tough to project, is going off of what I got in 2022 a fair determination for my estimated net self-employment? How would you suggest showing my self-employment income and then my regular job employment income?

Again, appreciate any advice at all. I have until Thursday to appeal so trying to get my ducks in order to hopefully give myself the best chance to get this apartment.
Yeah it’s definitely tough the first time around. Oversights happen. You’re actually really lucky your agent is willing to work with you. Some other buildings just don’t bother after they initially deny.

Unfortunately I can’t be of any more assistance. I only know the above because in 2021 I also had a regular full time job and a part time freelance gig. However my freelance net income was reported on my taxes so when I received the request to submit additional documents (in August 2022) they asked to see my 2022 income from freelancing. At that point I did not do any freelance gigs in 2022 (my bank accounts also had no additional income) so I just sent back a notarized self affidavit.

Are you able to call your agent and ask what exactly would be the best documentation you can provide?

Also good luck!! Keep us updated

Old 01-10-2023, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost20 View Post
Yeah it’s definitely tough the first time around. Oversights happen. You’re actually really lucky your agent is willing to work with you. Some other buildings just don’t bother after they initially deny.

Unfortunately I can’t be of any more assistance. I only know the above because in 2021 I also had a regular full time job and a part time freelance gig. However my freelance net income was reported on my taxes so when I received the request to submit additional documents (in August 2022) they asked to see my 2022 income from freelancing. At that point I did not do any freelance gigs in 2022 (my bank accounts also had no additional income) so I just sent back a notarized self affidavit.

Are you able to call your agent and ask what exactly would be the best documentation you can provide?

Also good luck!! Keep us updated

Again really appreciate your advice. I actually tried emailing her and she hasn't responded after being so responsive during the whole process before I got denied, which means me worried about my chances. None the less, I'll make that case in my appeal and will update if/when I hear something. Keeping my fingers crossed things work out.

Old 01-10-2023, 02:21 PM

72 posts, read 91,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKid84NYC View Post
um..Nobody managing this process is personally out to get you, these people have to sift through tens of thousands of applications, then manage all the paperwork of each applicant that's selected, nobody is above a mistake, but nobody is singling you out to ensure you're disqualified. And they're also not going to go by income from 2019. They have a set rule to follow to calculate everyones income
than how 45k income family %50 ami denied by numbers 90k income and put us %80 ami no remaning units avaible category than call back put us again to %50 and 45k again upps no response now,

waiting for HPC Daniel letter will go all the way including court
YES THEY DO MISTAKE AND I BELIVE INTENTIONALY THOSE WHO HAS BUDDIES IN CITY AT ANY LEVEL HAS GREAT HOUSES AROUND INCLUDING 8k rental same house someone pays $700
Dirty
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery