Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2022, 04:04 PM

248 posts, read 403,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zee619 View Post
Oh wow interesting. I’ve also never heard of this. Hope it works out for you! Keep us updated
Thanks!

Without giving away too much privacy, it's a great job in the public sector, but has nothing to do with any level of US gov't, and this tax nonsense is honestly the worst thing about it. I would prefer to have a "normal" job as far as taxes go because filing quarterly as self-employed is a pain, but I will never find a job I'm better suited for and that gives me the same peace of mind when I lay my head on my pillow at night.

All I need is my dream apartment in SVEN to go with my dream job, and maybe a dream dog in the future, and I will declare myself as having officially made it in New York.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2022, 09:58 AM

580 posts, read 729,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnxietyBiscuits View Post
Thanks!

Without giving away too much privacy, it's a great job in the public sector, but has nothing to do with any level of US gov't, and this tax nonsense is honestly the worst thing about it. I would prefer to have a "normal" job as far as taxes go because filing quarterly as self-employed is a pain, but I will never find a job I'm better suited for and that gives me the same peace of mind when I lay my head on my pillow at night.

All I need is my dream apartment in SVEN to go with my dream job, and maybe a dream dog in the future, and I will declare myself as having officially made it in New York.
Long time no speak AnxietyBiscuits! I have good faith that you will accomplish this.

Old 07-29-2022, 09:59 AM

580 posts, read 729,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by someoneinqueens View Post
Lottery apartments are rent-stabilized ones, your landlord can't raise the rent beyond what's regulated by the RGB & they vote how many percent for the increase annually.

First, make sure to check your lease to see whether your apartment is a rent-stabilized unit & if so, when is your lease renewal due? If it's between 1 October 2021 & 30 September 2022 then your rent increase should be 1.5% for one year renewal & 2.5% for two year renewal. If your lease is due for renewal after 30 September 2022 then your rent increase will be 3.25% for one year & 5% for two years.

If the increase is beyond those percentages & if you're for sure your unit is a lottery rent stabilized apartment, not the market rate one, you may want to report that to HPD/HDC.
What's up someoneinqueens. Long time no speak. Good insight you provide here.

Old 07-29-2022, 10:21 AM

1,604 posts, read 1,841,345 times
Thanks! How's life treating you in 5Pointz?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Nomad View Post
What's up someoneinqueens. Long time no speak. Good insight you provide here.

Old 08-01-2022, 12:10 PM

1 posts, read 982 times
Hey everyone, log #20xx, submitted my first round of documents on June 20th. It’s been 6 weeks and I still haven’t heard anything back. Anyone have any insight on what’s going on lol.

Old 08-01-2022, 12:28 PM

175 posts, read 177,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queensy205 View Post
Hey everyone, log #20xx, submitted my first round of documents on June 20th. It’s been 6 weeks and I still haven’t heard anything back. Anyone have any insight on what’s going on lol.
They’re requesting docs ahead of time in batches and then review them in order. So they are still working through the lower logs in your batch. You just have to wait until they reach your number, it goes a little quicker once they do get to you though! You can give them a call and follow up (they always answered when I called).

Old 08-01-2022, 12:34 PM

6 posts, read 6,148 times
My guess is that they're overwhelmed, and with what folks are reporting in terms of them being forensic accountants on every. single. thing. you send in, it's not surprisingly it's taking so long LOL

Oh, and when people, having submitting all the extra stuff that's asked for them, they probably get rejected with no explanation. So, they've probably lodged an appeal to challenge, which slows everything down as they probably need to process logs in the order that order...

Old 08-01-2022, 02:23 PM

248 posts, read 403,006 times
I got rejected. I submitted a screenshot of my only PayPal transaction from 2021-2022 which was for $2.15 rather than a screenshot of the balance which is also $2.15. Clearly I'm hiding money. Also I didn't submit a pension statement which they didn't ask for, nor do I have access to without a special request to the pension fund manager since it's a qualified pension plan that I cannot access in any way until retirement. If they had asked, I would have tried to get it in time. I listed it on my questionnaire otherwise they wouldn't have even known about it.

A simple follow-up email could have fixed this.

I'm super upset, and on my way home to prepare my appeal.

Old 08-01-2022, 02:55 PM

800 posts, read 731,414 times
Quote:
I got rejected. I submitted a screenshot of my only PayPal transaction from 2021-2022 which was for $2.15 rather than a screenshot of the balance which is also $2.15. Clearly I'm hiding money. Also I didn't submit a pension statement which they didn't ask for, nor do I have access to without a special request to the pension fund manager since it's a qualified pension plan that I cannot access in any way until retirement. If they had asked, I would have tried to get it in time. I listed it on my questionnaire otherwise they wouldn't have even known about it.

Omg I’m so sorry! Yes appeal!! Sounds similar to what happened to Brit. I don’t understand why they’re being so hard like this instead of asking for the supporting documents.

I still haven’t been called yet but I’m def worried

Old 08-02-2022, 08:21 AM

453 posts, read 499,219 times
Quote:

Oh my goodness, I am so sorry.

I'm sorry to say but it seems nobody I've seen has had an appeal or a complaint approved. You either submit everything the first time round, or you need "proof of extenuating circumstances", which... is anyone's guess - I actually have had a difficult few months (sickness, family deaths, new job etc) but none of these wasa accepted as good enough to counter the fact that their buggy website had left one document off, and we'd also not included some things they hadn't asked for (even though all of these were with the appeal!)

I wish you better luck with it. I'm mulling a trip to visit my congress person as it is beyond absurd.

My other half has been so frustrated with the process as it is like they think that some small-time residential compliance office of two-people is miraculously going to catch us in some lie that the IRS with all their thousands of employees has missed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery