Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2022, 07:07 AM

5 posts, read 4,999 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildAboutHarry View Post
What follows is about differences that matter. Do you mean adding an occupant to an already leased unit? Or, do you mean adding a person to a household with an existing application to this lottery? Altering an existing application before a unit is leased could disqualify the application; remember the lottery is based on household size and income. If NEW total household income is too high that can result in disqualification. If NEW household size is too large that can result in disqualification.

Wait until you are offered a lease. Decide if you want the unit with your household size and income as was written on the application you made. Is it big enough and affordable enough? If you do want under those circumstances it take it.
Then consider how you might be able to add a person to your household without many risks.

Thanks! I already moved in and was wondering down the line if I am able to just add an occupant without influencing my qualification.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2022, 08:06 AM

6,696 posts, read 6,060,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by junya View Post
Thanks! I already moved in and was wondering down the line if I am able to just add an occupant without influencing my qualification.
How do you like your apartment and signing that monstrous lease?

Old 09-01-2022, 12:47 PM

93 posts, read 76,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost20 View Post
Omg wait we’re in the same log # set & I wasn’t reached out to for more docs

Lizzy - did they reach out to you? I know ur number was reached a week or 2 before mine
Maybe that is a good thing i.e. you have everything they need!

Old 09-01-2022, 01:45 PM

800 posts, read 736,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rentoodamnhigh View Post
Maybe that is a good thing i.e. you have everything they need!
Hahaha love ur optimism. I’m actually super nervous they didn’t ask for current lease and I’m mad I didn’t initially provide on my own. Didn’t realize my docs show my parents LI address. Hoping they give me a chance to prove my NYC residency before they throw me to the back of the line!

Old 09-01-2022, 03:07 PM

229 posts, read 242,542 times
Just got doc request log 4xxx

Old 09-01-2022, 04:21 PM

2,069 posts, read 1,686,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by junya View Post
Congratulations on your new home. The short answer is yes you can add an occupant. But there are details. If you had a child, and if you got married, these are two examples of very protected ways an occupant can be added. There are others. Take a look at your lease. Your unit has a maximum occupancy, so if you adopted six kids all at once that could likely be an issue. Enjoy your new home.

Old 09-01-2022, 10:03 PM

151 posts, read 135,593 times
They did not ask me for extra docs yet either!

Old 09-03-2022, 12:48 AM

26 posts, read 25,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzy_ View Post
Hey, did you choose a layout yet?
Yes, I chose a layout earlier this week and also went for a viewing. Detailed experience for anyone that cares lol:

I put down C (2345) as my first choice and R as my second (2560) because the other $2345 layouts offered seemed really small and weirdly angled. They assigned me R under floor 20 which was the unit I viewed. I really did not like it at all, it felt really small in person and faced construction right across the street with no view. Only pro was that it had 2 walk in closets.

I pushed to view C or E (my other 2560 choice) but they said they were only allowed to show me the unit I was assigned to. While I was there, I called the Housing agent I've been in contact with but they said there is nothing in the C line available anymore and they would check on E. Then brought up viewing E again to the person showing me the apt and she had a model unit to show me. Preferred it to R and luckily got reassigned to a unit in the 30s. It's a corner unit facing the yards/Queens but between a smaller lower unit facing buildings/construction, it is sooo much better. More windows and nothing obstructing the light. Unless you're really high on the side facing the skyline, I don't think it's worth it.

Anyway, moral of the story- don't be afraid to push for what you want but maybe I just got lucky with some really nice agents lol

Old 09-03-2022, 12:53 AM

26 posts, read 25,008 times
Btw I totally forgot to ask during the tour- can anyone confirm if electricity and cooking gas is included? and what's the wifi situation?

Old 09-03-2022, 05:09 AM

800 posts, read 736,325 times
Omg glad you got the unit you wanted! And I believe either estee or helloitsmeee confirmed gas and electricity is included
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery